Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Advice on blacking out the tacoma emblems?

Old 10-15-2009, 10:15 PM   #1
Sheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant future

Navy: Hospital Corpsman 8404 (HM3)
Name: Gary
Sheepdog's Tacoma Gallery
Advice on blacking out the tacoma emblems?

I'm well on my way to blacking out my 2002 Tacoma and I was wondering if anyone knows any ideas or tips on how to take off the "Tacoma, Toyota, SR5, and V6" decals so I can paint them flat black and be able to put them back on without messing up the decals or the truck's paint.

Thank you
Old 10-15-2009, 10:17 PM   #2
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
the ones on the side next to the doors will come off with fishing line...the others are a rubber material and will probably tear up when you take them off...

buy some new ones to replace the tailgate ones with
Old 10-15-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
Sheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant future

Ok. Thanks. Do you know if anyone sells flat black decals?
Old 10-15-2009, 10:21 PM   #4
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

there USED to be a place that sold black emblems...but they werent flat black...more of a carbon black with some gloss to it...but thats long since gone i think...

check ebay or a local dealer for new ones
Old 10-15-2009, 10:27 PM   #5

Sweet. How should I take off the tailgate and the "SR5" decals below the rear passenger windows?
Old 10-15-2009, 10:28 PM   #6
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

you can use fishing line just like on the others...
Old 10-15-2009, 10:33 PM   #7

Ok. How are they adheared to the truck? I ask because I need to know how I am going to put them back on.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:40 PM   #8
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

i think the tailgate and sr5 ones are self adhesive...some sort of glue on the back...the others need some double sided tape
Old 10-15-2009, 10:47 PM   #9

Sweet!!! Thanks for your help dude. I'll post pics so you guys can see what the outcome is.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:58 PM   #10
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Let me know how this goes and also how you in fact did deal with the tailgate ones. I wanted to do this, but wasn't sure about the TACOMA and SR5 and all the other ones that aren't connected.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:04 AM   #11
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

theres also the option of painting them ON the truck...but thats not recommended...from experience...

ive pulled all my emblems off...youre not going to be able to reuse the ones on the tailgate and the b pillar sr5 ones...

either order some decals from sockmonkey...some new emblems from wherever you order parts from...or leave them off...
Old 10-16-2009, 12:15 AM   #12
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
I'll probably just pull them all off then if that's the case. A cleaner look might be good, but I'm not sure if it'll show like faded marks or anything since my truck is almost 11 years old. Suggestions? Or am I just talking out of my ass again and it's nothing to worry about?
Old 10-16-2009, 12:16 AM   #13
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
I took the tacoma emblem off on the side with some fishing line. the rear was done carefully with a razor blade and some THIN fishing line. I used 3m emblem adhesive. careful with that tho it makes your skin irritated.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:54 AM   #14
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho? View Post
I took the tacoma emblem off on the side with some fishing line. the rear was done carefully with a razor blade and some THIN fishing line. I used 3m emblem adhesive. careful with that tho it makes your skin irritated.
So you were able to put the originals back on? Do you have a picture of your tailgate that you can post? Thanks.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:21 AM   #15
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah i was able to get the originals back on. Advice on blacking out the tacoma emblems?-2009-09-26-08.381.jpg
Old 10-16-2009, 01:23 AM   #16
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho? View Post
Yeah i was able to get the originals back on. Attachment 38416
thats impressive...i tried removing mine and about half the letters either tore or ripped...so i quite trying to save any of them...
Old 10-16-2009, 01:25 AM   #17
Greg Graffin 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
thats impressive...i tried removing mine and about half the letters either tore or ripped...so i quite trying to save any of them...

I took about an hour with me and my buddy doing it. We used the razor blades to lift the corner and then carefully peeling it using the razor to lift the adhesive.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:38 AM   #18
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

yeah see im not that patient...i think it took me an hour to get all the badging off total
Old 10-16-2009, 03:35 AM   #19
Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!
AvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
AvsFanTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Check out this thread for removal, painting, and rebadging http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/det...e-badging.html
Old 10-16-2009, 03:37 AM   #20
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowham View Post
Check out this thread for removal, painting, and rebadging http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/det...e-badging.html
except the tailgate ones on 1st gens are individual letters...and not hard plastic...they cant be removed as easily as the others