Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Stupid Cleaning Question

Old 10-19-2009, 04:01 PM   #1
AzamWest is on a distinguished road
AzamWest's Tacoma Gallery
Stupid Cleaning Question

Yes this may sound stupid but I want to know if I am able to do it. I have a lot of dirt built up on under my hood on the engine block hood. I was wondering if I could just hose it all down. Or if there are any other techniques to clean it. I am kind of a clean freak at times with my truck.

Any answers?
Old 10-19-2009, 04:03 PM   #2
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Toss a grocery bag over your Alternator, battery and fuse box and go nuts. Try not to spray the engine itself really hard with a powerwasher if that's what you're using.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:06 PM   #3
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
actually, you can just go to your local DIY car wash and spray down your engine. You dont really have to cover anything up, jus dont DIRECTLY spray at your alternator. Make sure your fuse box is tightly close. Your battery will be fine. I spray my compartment all the time, I just always have some electical cleaner and spray my alternator and battery terminals with it before I start my truck back up.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:21 AM   #4
AzamWest is on a distinguished road
AzamWest's Tacoma Gallery
awsome thanks!
Old 10-21-2009, 12:53 AM   #5
supremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of light
supremetaco2's Tacoma Gallery
just what i was about to ask haha
Old 10-21-2009, 01:12 AM   #6
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Toss a grocery bag over your Alternator, battery and fuse box and go nuts. Try not to spray the engine itself really hard with a powerwasher if that's what you're using.
I think this is the best way to go about it and this is the way I clean the engine compartment. I'm sure it would be fine without doing this approach, but why risk anything.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:38 AM   #7
El Pitufo
Marioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marioso's Tacoma Gallery
honestly, leave ur truck on 5 minutes prior, hose it all down. u dont need bags just dont spray directly on the fuse box alternator or battery. spray diluted degreaser under the hood and over the engine, let it sit for a minute then rinse. shit put some dressing on the plastic too. ive done this before. make sure the engines on the whole time
Old 10-22-2009, 02:27 AM   #8
Blue Tango is a jewel in the roughBlue Tango is a jewel in the roughBlue Tango is a jewel in the roughBlue Tango is a jewel in the rough
Air Force: NIS
Blue Tango's Tacoma Gallery
I have most of the products from Adams Polishes at the moment and hit the underside of the hood with some All Purpose Cleaner, took a boars hair brush to the painted areas, then hosed it all down. Did that to the whole engine bay in fact. No issues. Some of their VRT on all the plastic and my engine bay looked like new. I wasn't using a power washer though, just a regular hose and nozzle so it wasn't getting blasted that hard. Now I didn't run the truck for a while before doing this, the engine wasn't cold but it also wasn't at it's running temp.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:06 PM   #9
07_Tundra is on a distinguished road
Army: 31F
07_Tundra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tango View Post
I have most of the products from Adams Polishes at the moment and hit the underside of the hood with some All Purpose Cleaner, took a boars hair brush to the painted areas, then hosed it all down. Did that to the whole engine bay in fact. No issues. Some of their VRT on all the plastic and my engine bay looked like new. I wasn't using a power washer though, just a regular hose and nozzle so it wasn't getting blasted that hard. Now I didn't run the truck for a while before doing this, the engine wasn't cold but it also wasn't at it's running temp.

Same here, Adams products are excellent. Great company to deal with...
Old 02-12-2010, 06:53 PM   #10
SMOKED DC TACO is on a distinguished road

Name: Brad
SMOKED DC TACO's Tacoma Gallery
i work at a honda dealership and we use a all purpose degreaser and a pressure washer. Leave the truck running and spray everything and let it sit for about 30 seconds then pressure wash good. To make the plastics look new, spray some vinyl spray on the plastics and will look brand new
Old 02-13-2010, 11:17 PM   #11
blazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blazze2005's Tacoma Gallery
I would not use a pressure washer on my own personal vehicle...

Just a hose on the shower setting a soft brush and some mild soap if your just trying to remove light road dirt

If you have grease and grime then it's time to break out the degreaser

I also cover the alternator and fuse box
Old 02-15-2010, 10:48 AM   #12
SMOKED DC TACO is on a distinguished road

Name: Brad
SMOKED DC TACO's Tacoma Gallery
i spary under the hood once every 2 weeks and never had a problem with water getting anywhere it dont belong as long as you leave it running.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:24 AM   #13
lizard1 is on a distinguished road
lizard1's Tacoma Gallery
I soak all engine components in gasoline then drive like a bat out of hell!
Old 02-23-2010, 06:12 PM   #14
SURFTACO will become famous soon enough

Name: Steve
SURFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Simple Green. Used it this weekend and the engine compartment came out looking good. I let my engine run for a little before spraying. As far as anything electrical goes, i tried not to "Soak" that area. I guess you have to remember that under the hood gets wet when it raining....just be careful...