1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Waxing Truck

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by gldnstateballa, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Oct 21, 2009 at 6:14 PM
    gldnstateballa

gldnstateballa [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    California
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner TRD Sport
    I got my 2009 truck a couple months ago and i was thinking about getting it professionally waxed at a place that does waxing when winter is over. (duh) And i was wondering your opinion on this? And also my truck has some little tinny spots on it, and i don't know what it is, and i was wondering if the people who wax your car will be able to get it off?

2. Oct 21, 2009 at 7:20 PM
    wmb67

wmb67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    09 Dbl Cab Off Road MGM
    Gldnstate, Take a look over at autopia.org That site is for detailing junkies, like TW is for Tacoma junkies :) Seriously, there's tons of info over there and good helpful people. You could pick up some tips and do the work youself, or find a high quality detailer from your area. It sounds like your truck could use a clay bar treatment to remove the spots you mention. When I picked up my truck in May, I thoroughly cleaned, clay barred, polished and waxed. It was cleaner and looked 10 times better than the day I brought it home from the dealer. Congrats and good luck with the truck. Post pics! wmb67 Sorry about the long run-on paragragh, but I can't seem to start new paragraphs :confused:

3. Oct 24, 2009 at 7:48 PM
    Blue Tango

Blue Tango Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hampton VA
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Offroad Speedway Blue
    Westin Bull Bar
    Wax doesn't remove anything. As wmb67 said, wash, clay, (I wash again after clay), polish, and wax. That should get all contaminates, spots, and swirls out as well as provide protection. If the spots remain when you get to the wax part then you'll need to seek additional help. If you do this right your truck will look excellent, better than some "professional" detailers.

4. Oct 24, 2009 at 8:00 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    You can get a good orbital polisher for about $80-$150 bucks and do it yourself.
    But you should also wait about 180 days from the date of getting the truck before you get it waxed, so you won't wreck the paint. The paint is still drying underneath.
    But by the time winter is done, than it should be all set.

Here is a good thread to read through: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/detailing/8957-official-ask-detailer-thread.html

EDIT: Also, like mentioned above you could try a clay bar treatment. I haven't used it before but I have heard a lot of good things about it. I think I'll try it after winter.

5. Oct 25, 2009 at 4:34 PM
    IndigoTaco

IndigoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab Sport 4x4
    Most 09's were probably made in 08, so I would hope the paint is dry. Check to see when your truck was put in service, this is the first I've heard of drying paint underneath?

6. Oct 25, 2009 at 6:48 PM
    Blue Tango

Member:
    Hampton VA
    Vehicle:
    Westin Bull Bar
    I've heard that with the paint used these days you can clay and wax when you buy the car, if it was recently painted you wanna wait a couple weeks. If you have the time, the sooner you use clay the better. It seems more complicated than it is, using it is quite easy though.

7. Oct 27, 2009 at 5:14 AM
    HankB

HankB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    near Chicago
    Vehicle:
    06 Preruner TRD Off Road
    bone stock
    Don't you want to wax before winter to protect the finish from salt and other crap they put on the streets?

Also if the paint has to reach a certain age, I would check the build date printed on the drivers door frame. But it seems to me that if the paint is tough enough to take the elements, it should be tough enough to stand up to a coat of wax, no?

8. Nov 14, 2009 at 12:12 PM
    IamJorgeEdward

IamJorgeEdward Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jorge Edward
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    Completely stock

i kno this post is old but where in the order that you listed above would cleaner wax go?

9. Nov 14, 2009 at 6:37 PM
    wmb67

wmb67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    09 Dbl Cab Off Road MGM
    wash, clay, polish, wax(cleaner wax) or wash, clay, cleaner wax.

10. Nov 14, 2009 at 11:22 PM
    Blue Tango

Member:
    Hampton VA
    Vehicle:
    Westin Bull Bar
    Never used cleaner wax myself, I would say after polish though. If it's actual polish then you should be smoothing out the clear coat, and the cleaner wax will ensure a perfect surface for your actual wax. But then after a clay and polish session your paint should be perfect and ready for wax as is. I would use a cleaner wax if you weren't gonna clay or polish.

Now when I said actual polish, the reason is some brands like Zaino don't actually get rid of the swirls, but cover them up. So a cleaner wax could remove that. Don't get me wrong though, I've used Zaino and it was awesome.

11. Nov 15, 2009 at 1:51 PM
    TorenApart

TorenApart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport
    Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, OME Nitrocharger shocks and Dakar leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, 18'' Black XD Monster, 285/60R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Leer shell, OEM Skid Plate, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Lund Tonneau, Custom 2-tone gray leather, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler with AR25 resonator, Aero Turbine Exhaust Tip, Mr. Marv subwoofer enclosure w/ 2 JL 10W3v2's, AFE Pro Dry S, Eclipse AVN-6620, Pioneer PRS-D2100T, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5'' Front Components, Black Headlight Mod, Tinted tail lights, PL5300 with Eclipse BEC-109
    What Zaino product do you use? The stuff I have is a very light abrasive and removes swirl marks, not cover them up like wax...

12. Nov 15, 2009 at 7:32 PM
    Blue Tango

Member:
    Hampton VA
    Vehicle:
    Westin Bull Bar
    I've read on multiple sites that Zaino is a sealant and covers up the swirls more than removes them (if I'm wrong then please send me a link with more accurate information as I'm not here to bash, just provide info). It's not a bad technique, it is certainly safer for those not experienced in detailing. If your paint is in good shape, I'd say just use Zaino, it's simple to use and looks amazing. I used Z2 and Z5 on my vehicles but have since swapped to all Adam's Polishes to test their products. I really like a lot of the Adam's stuff but so far I won't say they are better than Zaino, both gave me great looking vehicles. The link below has a lot of great info on most Zaino products.

http://www.detailingworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30674

13. Nov 15, 2009 at 7:43 PM
    TorenApart

TorenApart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport
    Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, OME Nitrocharger shocks and Dakar leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, 18'' Black XD Monster, 285/60R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Leer shell, OEM Skid Plate, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Lund Tonneau, Custom 2-tone gray leather, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler with AR25 resonator, Aero Turbine Exhaust Tip, Mr. Marv subwoofer enclosure w/ 2 JL 10W3v2's, AFE Pro Dry S, Eclipse AVN-6620, Pioneer PRS-D2100T, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5'' Front Components, Black Headlight Mod, Tinted tail lights, PL5300 with Eclipse BEC-109
    I found it on the Zaino website. The Zaino product I use is neither of the 2 you listed. I have had great success with MeGuiar's show car glaze 7 followed up with tech wax paste after I use the Zaino product linked below.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2...ode=Z-PC&Category_Code=Zaino&Product_Count=19

14. Nov 20, 2009 at 11:01 AM
    spaghettiedy

spaghettiedy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB Sport in Black 4x4
    Gray Weathertechs, LG Wet Okoles, Tacome OEM Bedmat
    Here's what I do: Wash, clay, wash, klasse All-in-one, 2nd klasse AIO on hood/roof or entire truck if I'm feeling energetic, klasse Sealant Glaze, 2nd coat klasse SG, 3rd coat klasse SG

This takes a whole weekend, but I only do it once a year.

Here's a review I did last year: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/detailing/17582-klasse-twins.html

15. Nov 20, 2009 at 11:24 AM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    wash and wax with honda spray wax.

16. Nov 24, 2009 at 4:56 PM
    Kuneff

Kuneff Carpe Diem

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Woods Beater
    Tree Dents
    I was wondering the same thing... Maybe some Joe Blow back yard body shop would need the 180 days (6 months in layman terms) for the paint to cure... but I am pretty sure that factory paint is as cured as its going to get in a few days... If I am not mistaken its pretty much baked on anyhow.

Wax that truck before winter makes a complete wreck of the finish.

17. Nov 24, 2009 at 5:02 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Yes, found out about this on another thread a couple months ago. Dose not matter on cars coming out of a factory, but may matter with cars painted at a auto body shop.

Products Discussed in

To Top