1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cleaning!!!

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Bfmco7, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Feb 7, 2008 at 5:47 AM
    Bfmco7

Bfmco7 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    What has everyone found to be the best thing to clean the engine compartment with.

2. Feb 7, 2008 at 8:09 AM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    Simple Green at full strength.

3. Feb 7, 2008 at 8:12 AM
    Leer

Leer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Hilo HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma 4x4
    Castrol Super Clean is the best! It's also the best at making your tires black again.

If you've never tried it before, give it a go and I'll bet that you will be suprised at how well it cleans!

4. Feb 7, 2008 at 11:17 AM
    cvillechopper

cvillechopper Jackass to the masses

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB TRD Off-Rd 4x4, Roof Rack, Tube Steps
    K&N drop-in air-filter, extra D-rings, Custom Console lock-box, Leather heated seats, Studly Driver
    You got to be VERY careful with that stuff around paint and aluminum. I use it in my parts washer and it'll take paint off in a matter of minutes. I'd only recommend it if you've got a seriously oily, greasy, mess under the hood. Otherwise, Simple Green is a safe and effective choice.

Also, That Super Clean will soften latex gloves after about 5 minutes... I never use the same pair for longer cause I think they'd dissolve. Got a NICE chem burn on a finger that had a hole in the glove after about 5 minutes in the washer.

5. Feb 7, 2008 at 2:15 PM
    gsm

gsm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Regular Cab, 2.7L, Impulse Red Pearl
    DIY OEM Fog Lights on anytime, DIY OEM Cruise Control, Removed 2ndary Air Filter, Rear Speakers Mod, Traction Bar/Helper Spring Mod, Red Brake Drums and Rotors, Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip, Door Sill Protectors, Taco Bed Mat, Custom Front Mud Flaps (Mudguards), TRD Bucket Seats (pending)
    With a cool to no more than a luke warm engine I spray the compartment with WD-40 (a hot enine might ignite the spray). Let it soak and spray the excess off. After drying the painted, plastic, and rubber in the compartment shine. Next couple of engine wash downs clean easier with no solvents.

I sometimes touch up the plastic/rubber parts with WD-40 which makes them really shine for over a month. Only those areas will attract dust but it washes off wth a light rinse later on. Just as above, don't apply to a hot engine and allow the fumes to evaporate before driving.

6. Feb 7, 2008 at 5:21 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    Can this really be that good on your engine/compartment/electrical connections/etc..........?

7. Feb 7, 2008 at 5:27 PM
    gsm

gsm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    DIY OEM Fog Lights on anytime, DIY OEM Cruise Control, Removed 2ndary Air Filter, Rear Speakers Mod, Traction Bar/Helper Spring Mod, Red Brake Drums and Rotors, Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip, Door Sill Protectors, Taco Bed Mat, Custom Front Mud Flaps (Mudguards), TRD Bucket Seats (pending)
    I've been using it for years and never had a problem. As for the electrical compartments, read the can on WD-40, states good for cleaning/waterproofing electronics. Not per batum.. but it's their point.

I buy a gallon can (cheaper) every year or so and have a spray bottle to spray it.

Note: I don't spray the entire engine block, just firewall, inside fenders, all plastics/rubber/wires. About once a year or so I use gunk or similiar followed by the WD-40 afterwards. Most engine degreaser leave a powdery/white residue.

8. Feb 7, 2008 at 5:29 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I gotta say thumbs-down to the WD-40 idea, it's not its intended purpose. I would just stick to the Simple Green... it's also bio-degradeable too.

9. Feb 7, 2008 at 5:31 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    It's VERBATIM... lol!

10. Feb 7, 2008 at 5:38 PM
    gsm

gsm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    Ouch ;) spellcheck, thank you.

Intended purpose? As for the wiring it's "Verbatim" :D

As for the rest, it works user preference.

Agreed thumbs down if you are a tree hugger - as then I wouldn't recommend most engine degreasers either!

Simple Green is good. But cost more and doesn't shine the compartment. Nor protect the wiring or provide protection of rubber/plastic from drying out.

11. Feb 7, 2008 at 5:39 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    You can use any tire shine product for the hoses and other rubber components.

12. Feb 7, 2008 at 5:48 PM
    gsm

gsm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    Yes you could. But also cost more, and is another product to buy. Also, most tire shine products contain petroleum distilliates (time for spell check). NOT BIODEGRADABLE and over time - wonder what long term effect those distilliates would have on the plastic/rubber components, as they are to be on longer than any life of a tire.

The thread is just for what everyone uses to clean their engine compartment. I don't sell WD-40, I just replied to the thread.

More than one way to skin a cat. Plenty of products that work and can do the job.

13. Feb 7, 2008 at 8:24 PM
    pb2themax

pb2themax Mod Master

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
  14. May 17, 2010 at 11:28 AM
    Hunter423

Hunter423 Hunter423

Member:
    First Name:
    hunter
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD off road
    brush guard, piaa foggs, tinted tail light, tinted windows, rain guards, pure white with blue tinted bulbd all over, white bulbs for licencess plate lighting, blacked out head lights

just done cleaning my engine with purple power followed by wd-40 looks great ill have pics tomorrow wd-40 gave it a great shine after rinsing looks gorgeous

15. May 17, 2010 at 2:14 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Holy thread revival, Batman!

16. May 17, 2010 at 2:43 PM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    Soapy pressure sprayer at a DIY car wash then a good rinse. Don't forget the bottom of the hood. If you don't know what components to stay away from then don't do it. Also don't get real close with the sprayer. I've done this on cars for 30 years. The only problem I had was I accidentally hosed down my '85 Honda Accord distributor and injected it with water. Pulled it off, emptied the water, blew it out and it fired right back up. Detailing companies will steam clean it for about $60-$70.

There was a dealer that I used to take my Honda's too. They steam-cleaned the engine after every service. I loved it. I long for the good old days of real service.

17. May 25, 2010 at 9:37 PM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    A little off topic but I did a real stupid thing this past weekend. I own a 3500 PSI pressure washer. You would think I would know the damage that high pressure water can do. My washer will cut into cement if turned up all the way.

I went 4-wheeling for the first time in my trunk. It was a mud bath so on the way home I stopped at my local DIY car wash. I took out my Weathertechs to spray them off. While washing them with the high pressure washer I held them up while hosing down both sides. I didn't know that these car wash wands have killer pressure. I accidentally sprayed my wrist at about 3 inches away. It cut a 1 1/2 inch slice in my wrist and injected soapy water. OUCH! It bled like a mother and still hurts 4 days later. My brother-in-law is a doctor and he said no stitches necessary but told me I'm an idiot. I agree. :crazy:

Careful with those pressure sprayers at the car wash. They can cut.

18. May 28, 2010 at 7:04 PM
    KennyC

KennyC New Member

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DBL CAB L.Bed V6 4x4 Sports Pkg.
    I fill a 5-gal. bucket with fresh water used to rinse my good terry-cloth shop rag periodically. I use Spray-Nine in a spray bottle, diluted with water about 50/50. Spray-Nine cuts grease quick and easy. Home Depot usually has the best price (about $11.00/gal.). You will not be disappointed! Use full strength if needed. I've always gotten top dollar when I sold my cars by keeping my engine compartment very clean with Spray-Nine. I recently began using products by 303 Products, Inc. to clean the engine grease and dirt, and to protect the rubber. These products are not cheap, but work well and the cleaner is biodegradable. Here's a good blurb about the cleaner, which is called 303 Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner: . Here's the manufacturer's website: http://www.303products.com/shop303/index.cfm?category=58. Use the 303 Aerospace Protectant on all your rubber parts. It has UV blockers equivalent to SPF 40 sunscreen!. These products work as well as the information you read about them.

Products Discussed in

To Top