Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Cleaning!!!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-07-2008, 05:47 AM   #1
Bfmco7 is on a distinguished road
Bfmco7's Tacoma Gallery
Cleaning!!!

What has everyone found to be the best thing to clean the engine compartment with.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:09 AM   #2
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Simple Green at full strength.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:12 AM   #3
Leer has a spectacular aura aboutLeer has a spectacular aura aboutLeer has a spectacular aura about
Name: Lee
Leer's Tacoma Gallery
Castrol Super Clean is the best! It's also the best at making your tires black again.

If you've never tried it before, give it a go and I'll bet that you will be suprised at how well it cleans!
Old 02-07-2008, 11:17 AM   #4
Jackass to the masses
cvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cvillechopper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leer View Post
Castrol Super Clean is the best! It's also the best at making your tires black again.

If you've never tried it before, give it a go and I'll bet that you will be suprised at how well it cleans!
You got to be VERY careful with that stuff around paint and aluminum. I use it in my parts washer and it'll take paint off in a matter of minutes. I'd only recommend it if you've got a seriously oily, greasy, mess under the hood. Otherwise, Simple Green is a safe and effective choice.

Also, That Super Clean will soften latex gloves after about 5 minutes... I never use the same pair for longer cause I think they'd dissolve. Got a NICE chem burn on a finger that had a hole in the glove after about 5 minutes in the washer.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
gsm will become famous soon enough

gsm's Tacoma Gallery
With a cool to no more than a luke warm engine I spray the compartment with WD-40 (a hot enine might ignite the spray). Let it soak and spray the excess off. After drying the painted, plastic, and rubber in the compartment shine. Next couple of engine wash downs clean easier with no solvents.

I sometimes touch up the plastic/rubber parts with WD-40 which makes them really shine for over a month. Only those areas will attract dust but it washes off wth a light rinse later on. Just as above, don't apply to a hot engine and allow the fumes to evaporate before driving.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:21 PM   #6
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm View Post
With a cool to no more than a luke warm engine I spray the compartment with WD-40 (a hot enine might ignite the spray). Let it soak and spray the excess off. After drying the painted, plastic, and rubber in the compartment shine. Next couple of engine wash downs clean easier with no solvents.

I sometimes touch up the plastic/rubber parts with WD-40 which makes them really shine for over a month. Only those areas will attract dust but it washes off wth a light rinse later on. Just as above, don't apply to a hot engine and allow the fumes to evaporate before driving.
Can this really be that good on your engine/compartment/electrical connections/etc..........?
Old 02-07-2008, 05:27 PM   #7

gsm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsupl View Post
Can this really be that good on your engine/compartment/electrical connections/etc..........?
I've been using it for years and never had a problem. As for the electrical compartments, read the can on WD-40, states good for cleaning/waterproofing electronics. Not per batum.. but it's their point.

I buy a gallon can (cheaper) every year or so and have a spray bottle to spray it.

Note: I don't spray the entire engine block, just firewall, inside fenders, all plastics/rubber/wires. About once a year or so I use gunk or similiar followed by the WD-40 afterwards. Most engine degreaser leave a powdery/white residue.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:29 PM   #8
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I gotta say thumbs-down to the WD-40 idea, it's not its intended purpose. I would just stick to the Simple Green... it's also bio-degradeable too.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:31 PM   #9
bite me

Quote:
Not per batum.. but it's their point.
It's VERBATIM... lol!
Old 02-07-2008, 05:38 PM   #10

gsm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
It's VERBATIM... lol!
Ouch spellcheck, thank you.

Intended purpose? As for the wiring it's "Verbatim"

As for the rest, it works user preference.

Agreed thumbs down if you are a tree hugger - as then I wouldn't recommend most engine degreasers either!

Simple Green is good. But cost more and doesn't shine the compartment. Nor protect the wiring or provide protection of rubber/plastic from drying out.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:39 PM   #11
bite me

You can use any tire shine product for the hoses and other rubber components.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:48 PM   #12

gsm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
You can use any tire shine product for the hoses and other rubber components.
Yes you could. But also cost more, and is another product to buy. Also, most tire shine products contain petroleum distilliates (time for spell check). NOT BIODEGRADABLE and over time - wonder what long term effect those distilliates would have on the plastic/rubber components, as they are to be on longer than any life of a tire.

The thread is just for what everyone uses to clean their engine compartment. I don't sell WD-40, I just replied to the thread.

More than one way to skin a cat. Plenty of products that work and can do the job.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:24 PM   #13
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough

pb2themax's Tacoma Gallery
I use Adam's All Purpose cleaner. http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-117-a...z-sprayer.aspx

Most engine degreasers are made of mostly Kerosene. A little kerosene, and brush will really clean greasy stuff.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:28 AM   #14
Hunter423
Hunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant future

Name: hunter
Hunter423's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've been using it for years and never had a problem. As for the electrical compartments, read the can on WD-40, states good for cleaning/waterproofing electronics. Not per batum.. but it's their point.

I buy a gallon can (cheaper) every year or so and have a spray bottle to spray it.

Note: I don't spray the entire engine block, just firewall, inside fenders, all plastics/rubber/wires. About once a year or so I use gunk or similiar followed by the WD-40 afterwards. Most engine degreaser leave a powdery/white residue.

just done cleaning my engine with purple power followed by wd-40 looks great ill have pics tomorrow wd-40 gave it a great shine after rinsing looks gorgeous
Old 05-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #15
bite me

Holy thread revival, Batman!
Old 05-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #16
knayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
knayrb's Tacoma Gallery
Soapy pressure sprayer at a DIY car wash then a good rinse. Don't forget the bottom of the hood. If you don't know what components to stay away from then don't do it. Also don't get real close with the sprayer. I've done this on cars for 30 years. The only problem I had was I accidentally hosed down my '85 Honda Accord distributor and injected it with water. Pulled it off, emptied the water, blew it out and it fired right back up. Detailing companies will steam clean it for about $60-$70.

There was a dealer that I used to take my Honda's too. They steam-cleaned the engine after every service. I loved it. I long for the good old days of real service.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:37 PM   #17
knayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
knayrb's Tacoma Gallery
A little off topic but I did a real stupid thing this past weekend. I own a 3500 PSI pressure washer. You would think I would know the damage that high pressure water can do. My washer will cut into cement if turned up all the way.

I went 4-wheeling for the first time in my trunk. It was a mud bath so on the way home I stopped at my local DIY car wash. I took out my Weathertechs to spray them off. While washing them with the high pressure washer I held them up while hosing down both sides. I didn't know that these car wash wands have killer pressure. I accidentally sprayed my wrist at about 3 inches away. It cut a 1 1/2 inch slice in my wrist and injected soapy water. OUCH! It bled like a mother and still hurts 4 days later. My brother-in-law is a doctor and he said no stitches necessary but told me I'm an idiot. I agree.

Careful with those pressure sprayers at the car wash. They can cut.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:04 PM   #18
KennyC is on a distinguished road
KennyC's Tacoma Gallery
Smile Engine Cleaning & Rubber Protectant

I fill a 5-gal. bucket with fresh water used to rinse my good terry-cloth shop rag periodically. I use Spray-Nine in a spray bottle, diluted with water about 50/50. Spray-Nine cuts grease quick and easy. Home Depot usually has the best price (about $11.00/gal.). You will not be disappointed! Use full strength if needed. I've always gotten top dollar when I sold my cars by keeping my engine compartment very clean with Spray-Nine. I recently began using products by 303 Products, Inc. to clean the engine grease and dirt, and to protect the rubber. These products are not cheap, but work well and the cleaner is biodegradable. Here's a good blurb about the cleaner, which is called 303 Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner: http://www.autogeek.net/303aecl.html. Here's the manufacturer's website: http://www.303products.com/shop303/i...fm?category=58. Use the 303 Aerospace Protectant on all your rubber parts. It has UV blockers equivalent to SPF 40 sunscreen!. These products work as well as the information you read about them.

Products Discussed in this Thread