Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

How do you get spray paint off?

Old 11-08-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
Sheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant future

Navy: Hospital Corpsman 8404 (HM3)
Name: Gary
Sheepdog's Tacoma Gallery
How do you get spray paint off?

Here's my problem... I painted my badges on the tailgate because they don't come off easy and usually break. So I figured that if I just use painters tape and do a "REAL" good job, I wouldn't have to worry about getting the spray paint on the truck. Now I ripped the badges off because they came out REALLY bad and there are profile marks where the letters use to be. Does anybody know of a way to take the spraypaint off without messing up the truck's paint job?
Old 11-08-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog View Post
Here's my problem... I painted my badges on the tailgate because they don't come off easy and usually break. So I figured that if I just use painters tape and do a "REAL" good job, I wouldn't have to worry about getting the spray paint on the truck. Now I ripped the badges off because they came out REALLY bad and there are profile marks where the letters use to be. Does anybody know of a way to take the spraypaint off without messing up the truck's paint job?
You could use a paint thinner or sand it off and repaint (only if you are re-painting it)
Old 11-08-2009, 12:38 PM   #3
4X4_TRD has a spectacular aura about4X4_TRD has a spectacular aura about

Navy: Survival Instructor
Name: Justin
4X4_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I have had a friend drive through wet paint on the road and decided a week later to try to remove it. It wasn't spray paint but WD-40 took it off. Not sure what it will do to your clearcoat. Might be worth a shot before you try re-painting it.

I just looked it up and this might work for you.

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...p?T1=MEG+G1016
Old 11-08-2009, 01:04 PM   #4
bullshooter is on a distinguished road

bullshooter's Tacoma Gallery
try a clay bar from auto parts store. i used it on my wife's car when some vandals spray painted the side of her car bumper to bumper with red and black paint. works good
Old 11-08-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
Sheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant future

Awesome. I can't pay to have it done by a shop or something and its not the whole tailgate so I just need something to do a small area.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullshooter View Post
try a clay bar from auto parts store. i used it on my wife's car when some vandals spray painted the side of her car bumper to bumper with red and black paint. works good
X2 clay bar can work wonders
Old 11-08-2009, 01:59 PM   #8
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun155 View Post
X2 clay bar can work wonders
Actually taking time to prep before you paint does even more wonders
Old 11-08-2009, 02:02 PM   #9
Tsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud of

Name: Greg
Tsenekos's Tacoma Gallery
clay bar if that does'nt work wet sand with 2000 grit and then buff it out with a wool pad and about 1000 to 1500rpm and a cutting polish then wax. Its pretty simple to do good luck.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #10
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
acetone should work fine. I have done it plenty of times and never damaged the paint.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #11
Go with the flow
Hologram is a jewel in the roughHologram is a jewel in the roughHologram is a jewel in the roughHologram is a jewel in the rough

Army:
Hologram's Tacoma Gallery
damn this came in just in time. i had spray painted my fenders black and got some residue on my impulse red. so i will try these.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:22 PM   #12
cutothechase35 is on a distinguished road

cutothechase35's Tacoma Gallery
Clay bar. Wax compound and a buffer works great too. Had green spray and it came right off.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:32 PM   #13
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
oh my god....

this thread

this is why you take your time with projects
Old 11-08-2009, 03:33 PM   #14
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
acetone should work fine. I have done it plenty of times and never damaged the paint.
DO NOT LiSTEN TO THIS GUY!!!!!

acetone will DESTROY your paint!!
Old 11-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #15
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Jerk View Post
oh my god....

this thread

this is why you take your time with projects
x2 look at my previous post in this thread haha
Old 11-08-2009, 03:38 PM   #16
cutothechase35 is on a distinguished road

cutothechase35's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Eat it like acid more like it.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:24 PM   #17

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:29 PM   #18

The paint is about 2.5 weeks old. So it's had plenty of time to set, unfortunately.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:10 PM   #19
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I have used acetone many times to remove glue/adhesive as well as spray paint overspray and have NEVER had a problem with it messing up my paint. as long as you use it sparingly you should be fine.

Let me clarify. I have painted quite a few cars in my time so I understand that excessive acetone can damage the paint. I have used to it cut down/thin paint before. But the clear coat is cured and hardened with his paint job so dipping a rag in acetone and lightly rubbing is not really going to do any damage. With the little amount you are applying it will evaporate before it does any damage. A little bit dipped on the end of a rag should be just enough to remove the overspray.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #20

It's ok brad, panda jerk isn't the most tactful person. Thanks for your input though. It's the principal that matters.