1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Armor all or not?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by swise, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Nov 9, 2009 at 10:34 AM
    kzoomn

kzoomn Member

Member:
    Paradise, CA
    Vehicle:
    99' PreRunner SR5
    303 + 6666 = 6969

2. Nov 9, 2009 at 2:30 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I love Armor all. Been using it for years and won't use anything else

3. Jan 14, 2010 at 6:16 AM
    asphaltpilot

asphaltpilot CAPS CAPS CAPS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    I made the mistake of using Armor All on the Tonneau cover I had on my Nissan. Huge mistake. The corners of the cover became brittle and cracked. Stupid is as stupid does :(

With that said, what brand of Tonneau tonic or cleaner do you guys recommend?

4. Jan 14, 2010 at 6:51 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Do you know what the tonneau cover would've looked like if you didn't use anything at all on it?

The whole entire tonneau cover would've been brittle & cracked!!

I'd love to see someone put Armor-All on half of their tonneau covers (and the same half) over the years and find out what the difference is between using it and not using it. I've never had a problem with the stuff.

5. Jan 14, 2010 at 6:57 AM
    paulm09tacoma

paulm09tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 access cab trd
    all of the people i know who detail cars say armor is like acid on your car. looks great at first but does more damage in the long run. enter SIMPLE GREEN. it cleans very well and doesnt ruin everything. been using this stuff for years on all my cars and it works great.

6. Jan 14, 2010 at 7:33 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    I use Turtlewax Interior Car Care

7. Jan 14, 2010 at 5:58 PM
    wmb67

wmb67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    09 Dbl Cab Off Road MGM
    There are many interior dressings and protectants. Often, the key to a matte finish is to apply the product and then wipe off/ buff off any excess. I like and use 303, Poorboy's Natural Look, and Meguiar's Interior Detailer which is available OTC.

8. Jan 14, 2010 at 6:04 PM
    07TacoRidah

07TacoRidah SHHHH, this is interesting

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Base Model Access Cab
    Engine bay: aFe Pro Dry filter Secondary air filter deleted Sokie Tech hood damper kit OReiley battery terminals Big 3 upgrade (0g wiring) 2012 Headlight swap HID kit (headlight 6k/fog light 3k) Sylvania Zevo LED turn signals w/hyper flash resistors Rear back up light GY6 bulb Bullz Audio 0g wire Exterior: Dynamik Retro Projector style headlight housing Depo Euro Black Altezza LED tails 2012 front grill/bumper cover w/ fog light and hood swap Rear bumper swap (to chrome, painted w/bedliner paint) 99 Cents Store tailgate lock Suspension: XR Bilsteins Universal Air Suspension strut bag Custom UCA's DJM 4" rear drop kit 1" spindle spacer kit 4x4 leaf pack swap (middle leaf removed) Air Lift rear helper springs 4 Siria (Asco) 3/8" air valves 3 gallon air tank 1/4' air lines 90's Acura Integra door switches to air valves ViAir 450 air compressor Rims: 18x10 Work VS-KF front w/5" lip 18x11 Work VS-KF rear w/6" lip 225/40/18 tires all around Sick Speed 3 piece spike lug nuts Pepboys valve stem caps 1" wheel spacers all around Interior: Wink Mirror rear view Center console lid fabric Metra Dash kit Kenwood bluetooth headunit Hifonics Zeus ZXi 6410 PB 6 1/2" component speakers up front 10" single Hifonics subwoofer 10" sealed angled box Katana shift knob
    Armor-all is bad for your dash I know that. Over time you build a layer that will end up causing your dash to crack and it's just nasty. On my inner plastics, I just go over them with a wet rag and make sure all the dirt is off. For my outer plastics, I use Mothers Back to Black since it's black and I want it to stay that way (if you have a base, all that plastic stuff esp. your bed lining, it will get like a faded black, or it will look like you put a bunch of bleach on it), yes once every two weeks I actually back to black the entire bed.

9. Jan 14, 2010 at 6:17 PM
    asphaltpilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    I believe that given a little more time the rest of the cover would have cracked. The corners cracked because they received the most abuse when I rolled it and wrestled with it to get the corners buttoned up. The rest of the cover was pliable, but barely.

10. Jan 14, 2010 at 7:33 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Now wait a minute..... earlier you said this:
    And now you're saying it cracked from your own abuse and you're blaming the Armor All for it?

11. Jan 15, 2010 at 6:06 AM
    asphaltpilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    *sigh*

Semantics.

Ok. I used the word abuse in the same context as doing anything else to my vehicle that causes normal wear-and-tear. I didn't abuse the cover in a literal meaning. Normal wear-and-tear.

The fact is, the first two years I owned my Nissan the cover remained unchanged and in good condition. In hindsight I believe it wasn't until I started Armor All that the cover quickly deteriorated.

12. Jan 15, 2010 at 6:37 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    I believe that ArmorAll DOES cause deterioration faster.

13. Jan 15, 2010 at 6:41 AM
    LEEP

LEEP Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LEE
    CONNECTICUT
    Vehicle:
    O8 TACOMA TRD
    303 aerospace protectant cabelas sells it + some boat stores about $10.00 a bottle

14. Jan 15, 2010 at 7:36 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    I think the key is for the product to have sufficient UV protection added to it. I'm pretty sure that even Armor All has addressed this more recently.

15. Jan 15, 2010 at 12:04 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Used it on my old Ford for 10 years and everything still looked great. Sure the dash area still looked brand new when I sold it. Not a single sign of deterioration anywhere and I used the stuff at leas once a week

16. Jan 16, 2010 at 3:04 PM
    Joe Taco

Joe Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma PreRunner TRD OR
    Purchased truck on 1/3/10
    Having a boat, 303 has been recommended for use on it for quite a long time due to it's supposed anti UV characteristics.

I used to have a Jeep Wrangler that has the vinyl ends on the bumpers, and having some 303 laying around, applied it to those ends. Within 2 weeks the ends had turned a grayish white, and they were never the same after wards. YMMV.

I still occasionally still use 303 on my boat seat cushions..but they are white.

17. Mar 22, 2010 at 9:20 PM
    RideFast

RideFast on the flats.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Armorall attracts a lot of dirt, I finally broke down and got the meguiars this weekend, my interior looked good as of today we will see how it holds up.

18. Jan 12, 2011 at 9:49 AM
    Bryan07sport

Bryan07sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Smyrna, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD off-road.
    Bilstein 6112/5100. Icon progressive AAL. Overland Torque Tune. Toyota roof rack. Toyota bed extender. Gator trifold tonneau. Bora .75" wheel spacers. 265/75r16 tires.
    So I just had a new rear bumper put on cause I got rearended in the snow by a woman in an explorer while i was sitting at a redlight facing uphill. (I know, right?) Eh, thats what her insurance company is for. Anyway I just had it done by Toyota and when I got the truck back they had detailed the truck inside and out, which was nice, but they armoralled (or similar product) everything inside. I agree with a few of the people here that i really liked the flat look and am not a huge fan of armorall. Now everything is slippery and shiny and I hate it. Any idea what i can clean it with now to get rid of the greasy stuff everywhere?

19. Jan 12, 2011 at 12:49 PM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    FOX 2 1/2" CO's STOCK UCA's - They used to be Icons! Icons suck!!! TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Leer 550 Bedcover - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs
    Wipe it down, work it in (polish it). It should kill some of the shine too.

20. Jan 12, 2011 at 1:17 PM
    The1youluv2hate

The1youluv2hate Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peps
    SAnta Paula CA
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD sPort 4x4 (11mgmsport)
    oem pro grill 17” pro rep wheels Fox dsc shocks
    I use turtle wax but I might try out 303

Products Discussed in