Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Armor all or not?

Old 11-09-2009, 03:37 AM   #1
TRIFECTA!!!
swise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to behold

swise's Tacoma Gallery
Armor all or not?

I want to armor all my dash and door linings, but I like the matte finish they have. Is there anything you guys know of that will not make the material all shiny, or what do you use?
Old 11-09-2009, 03:39 AM   #2
TRIFECTA!!!
swise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to behold

swise's Tacoma Gallery
just noticed we have a "detailing" forum - sorry!
Old 11-09-2009, 04:35 AM   #4
HankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud of
Name: Hank
HankB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by swise View Post
I want to armor all my dash and door linings,
NO!

Armor-All is death to vinyl. When I bought a tonneau cover for my last truck, they specifically disclaimed warranty if it was ever armor-alled. Wife had the armor-all treatment done at a local car wash and within months the soft parts on the dash had cracked. That was aside from the fact that they did a leather steering wheel making it difficult to steer. They also did the steps on the running board which made it dangerous to stand on them.

Armor-all is intended to use on rubber, though why anyone would want to lubricate their tires is beyond me. I prefer the traction that the tire manufacturers designed into the rubber compound.

Besides, a nice shiny dash will reflect in the windshield and obstruct vision. There's a reason it is a nice flat texture. If you want something to protect other vinyl surfaces, use something intended for vinyl like 303.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:46 AM   #6
Yesterdayz is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
Yesterdayz's Tacoma Gallery
They do make an armor-all that has a Matt finish.

I prefer not to us it though, I bought a mini California duster, best thing since sliced bread.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:49 AM   #7
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB View Post
NO!

Armor-All is death to vinyl. When I bought a tonneau cover for my last truck, they specifically disclaimed warranty if it was ever armor-alled. Wife had the armor-all treatment done at a local car wash and within months the soft parts on the dash had cracked. That was aside from the fact that they did a leather steering wheel making it difficult to steer. They also did the steps on the running board which made it dangerous to stand on them.

Armor-all is intended to use on rubber, though why anyone would want to lubricate their tires is beyond me. I prefer the traction that the tire manufacturers designed into the rubber compound.

Besides, a nice shiny dash will reflect in the windshield and obstruct vision. There's a reason it is a nice flat texture. If you want something to protect other vinyl surfaces, use something intended for vinyl like 303.
Why would you even think of using armour all on a tonneau is beyond me. They make specific products for covers (eg. tonneau tonnic). I use armour all in every vehicle I have owned and have never had any problems. I also use 303 aero on the dull finishes or anything that may sit in the sun. As for tires, you make it sound like your armour all your tread?! Using it on the outter walls won't affect your "traction compound". It will however start turning your tires that ugly brown color.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:02 AM   #8
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
I use it on everything. Its just a matter of keeping up on it after you apply. And never put it on your steering wheel
Old 11-09-2009, 05:12 AM   #9
HankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud of
HankB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigzor View Post
Why would you even think of using armour all on a tonneau is beyond me.
I didn't. Just sayin'.
Quote:
As for tires, you make it sound like your armour all your tread?! Using it on the outter walls won't affect your "traction compound".
Again, not me. One time when we got our Miata serviced, the dealer slopped enough tire dressing on the tire to get on the tread. Next spirited turn, the rear stepped out a lot more than I expected. It certainly did affect traction, but probably the result of sloppy application.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:28 AM   #10
O.F.
bb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: JFK Center, Fort Bragg, NC
bb609's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by briangp View Post
I use it on everything. Its just a matter of keeping up on it after you apply. And never put it on your steering wheel
X2. Been using it for years (20+?) and never a problem. Apply evenly and work it in with some elbow grease. A second application on virgin surfaces helps too.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:31 AM   #11
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I didn't. Just sayin'.
Again, not me. One time when we got our Miata serviced, the dealer slopped enough tire dressing on the tire to get on the tread. Next spirited turn, the rear stepped out a lot more than I expected. It certainly did affect traction, but probably the result of sloppy application.
Damn
Old 11-09-2009, 06:04 AM   #12
BlackRig has a spectacular aura aboutBlackRig has a spectacular aura about

Name: Craig
BlackRig's Tacoma Gallery

I use it on my access cover when I wash my truck too.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:04 AM   #14
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Here, take a look - not just rubber.
http://www.armorall.com/products/vie...ex=protectants

Where to Use:
Dashboards
Vinyl Seats
Door Panels
Consoles
Tires/Trim
Bumpers

Never trust anyone else to put that stuff on your vehicle. Do you really know for sure it's ArmorAll?

I've used ArmorAll on my tonneau covers, dashes, etc for years without any problems.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:22 AM   #15
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
What is this 303 you speak of?
Old 11-09-2009, 08:40 AM   #16
HankB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
What is this 303 you speak of?
http://www.303products.com/

(Hint: Google is your friend. )
Old 11-09-2009, 08:57 AM   #17
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
303. I wouldnt dare let a bottle of armor-all anywhere near my truck. It has bad news written all over it.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #18
TRIFECTA!!!

swise's Tacoma Gallery
damn guys - I didnt mean to start a fight!
Old 11-09-2009, 09:58 AM   #19
zanodave is a name known to allzanodave is a name known to allzanodave is a name known to allzanodave is a name known to allzanodave is a name known to allzanodave is a name known to all

Army:
zanodave's Tacoma Gallery
303 and plexus
Old 11-09-2009, 09:59 AM   #20
Junior Senior Member
warpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud of

Army: Motor Pool
Name: Vaughn
warpwr's Tacoma Gallery
I used that crap on a vinyl bench seat once a long time ago. I couldn't even drive the truck until I cleaned it off. I would jump in and slide all the way to the passenger seat.

I don't like the look it leaves either, all oily and greasy looking.
It looks to me like the owner is trying to hide something.

Like when I go to used car lots and the engine compartments look like they have been sprayed with Pam. It's obvious they were filthy before.

I use soft rags and plain water on my dash and interior and Simple Green on the engine. I prefer the flat look of the stock interior.