1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dead Paint

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by BRP27, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Nov 26, 2009 at 11:26 AM
    BRP27

BRP27 [OP] When I grow up I want to be just like Me

Member:
    So far south in Texas my feet are in salt water
    Vehicle:
    04 4X4 Tacoma SR5
    3 in Ultimate ToyTec, set @ 2.5 in. AAL PINCH Weld Mod ( beat the pinch weld over inside the fender) Painted the pinch weld on bottom of cab Black Hi Lift Knock off
    I bought an 04 Tacoma that always was stored outside. The paint had a milky look to it. The paint was not sharp or crisp it was dull. But not flat. You could see what looked like water spots but they were in the paint not on the paint. I tried polishing with a very mild abrasive polish from Turtle Wax with a buffer. I tried clay bar. I tried waxing. No improvement. I was told the only solution was to paint the truck! But I am hard headed and willing to try cheaper methods to get paint to look better.

Yesterday I tried the White turtle wax rubbing compound. This stuff has been around for a long time and also comes in a Red compound. The Red is very abrasive, the white is less abrasive. Both are more abrasive than "polish" .
    The White says dont use it with a Buffer unless you are Professional Detailer. I have painted several cars and trucks with Old School enamel and lacquer paints but had little experience with Base Coat Clear Coat or Water Based Modern paint. So I declared myself "professional" and went for it.

I used the White with a Walmart buffer and the results were very good. It took over 6 hours but WOW it looks so much better. No swirl, no scatches. I applied the white compound with a rag and then worked it with the buffer until the compund went dry. Then I wiped the compound off the paint with a wet rag. And did it again in each location. Stay with a small area 2'X2' and over lap the areas. It is very tedious mind numbing work. But if you want your paint to come back alive try it.

Disclaimer: I don't know how well you can use a buffer, or if you will leave the buffer spinning in on one be spot and then be supprised that you burned the paint. So Proceed at your own risk because this does take some skill to keep from messing up.

It is not perfect but much better,Pic of the result:
    [​IMG]

2. Nov 27, 2009 at 8:18 AM
    Gooch

Gooch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    Rubbing compounds are very dangerous because they are very abrasive. They have a very gritty feel to them, because the cutting particles are very large. They also take a lot of paint off.

My 2000 Tacoma has about 3 1/2 mils of paint on it (measures with a paint gauge), which is .0035 inches of primer, sealer, basecoat and clearcoat combined!

Today's state of the art polishes are safer and actually produce much better results. White is a very forgiving color, but I doubt you would get decent results on a darker finish with rubbing compound.

I strongly suggest micro-abrasive non-diminishing abrasive polishes such as SYSTEM ONE X3 Cutting Polish and Meguiar's M105 / M205. CSI also has a line of micro-abrasive polishes but we don't have them in stock yet. We stock SYSTEM ONE, but not Meguiar's. M105/M205 can be found on Amazon.com for under $30 each.

3. Nov 27, 2009 at 6:30 PM
    BRP27

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 4X4 Tacoma SR5
    3 in Ultimate ToyTec, set @ 2.5 in. AAL PINCH Weld Mod ( beat the pinch weld over inside the fender) Painted the pinch weld on bottom of cab Black Hi Lift Knock off
    Thanks for the links and for the information. Looks like I will be doing some more work

4. Nov 29, 2009 at 3:31 PM
    BRP27

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 4X4 Tacoma SR5
    I used Meguiar's Ultimate Compound to continue the paint restoration a little more. Compounded on the hood and a front fender and it helped bring the paint back. This truck is starting to shine. This is working the paint like using the 3M kit to restore headlights after the plastic weathers badly. The white coumpound was the rough and the Meguiar's is the medium.

5. Dec 5, 2009 at 7:52 PM
    BRP27

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 4X4 Tacoma SR5
    I finish up the compounding with the Meguires Ultimate compound. I am very pleased that the coudyness dullness could be polished out. This took me about 12 hours of componding.

It came out good.

To Top