1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bedlining/Recoating trim

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by CUtigerfan, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Nov 30, 2009 at 2:48 PM
    CUtigerfan

CUtigerfan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    04 Base
    Daystar 1.5" coil spacers, bedlined bumpers, clear corners, aftermarket stereo, 20% tint, half debadged
    I have a 04 regular cab 5-lug and have been watching the paint flake off the rear bumper ever since I got the truck back in May. This past weekend I had enough and went to Walmart and bought a $7 can of Rustoleum Truck bed coating and some miscellaneous prep tools. The prep work sanding all the finish off the bumper down to the metal/black primer layer was a PITA but I wanted to do it right. I wiped it down with rubbing alcohol, hung it, and sprayed it with really good results. Except for a few spots that are barely noticeable it looks really good. Now I've got the itch to paint the trim on the front bumper to match the rear. The only problem is the grille surround would be the only piece of trim left with the gray factory coating on it and I think it'll look weird. I also want to do something with the plastic on the front bumper because it's getting kind of faded. Any suggestions on what to coat the grille surround and bumper with? The Rustoleum has a really fine grit but I think it will look bad on the grille surround.
    Any input is appreciated and thanks in advance :)

2. Nov 30, 2009 at 4:43 PM
    CUtigerfan

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    04 Base
    Daystar 1.5" coil spacers, bedlined bumpers, clear corners, aftermarket stereo, 20% tint, half debadged
    Just as kind of a side note I'm 17 with practically no experience with a rattlecan and had no problem with this mod. I'll have to post up some pics but I think it looks pretty good and is easy enough for anyone who's bumpers need some help.

3. Nov 30, 2009 at 4:49 PM
    oofy15354

oofy15354 Proud Tundra *****

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Massachusetts
    Herculiner, Access Tonneau, Uniden cb, firestik antennae, Bosch Wipers, JVC Ipod headunit, Boston Acoustic Speakers
    I'm also 17 and I used Herculiner to coat my bed. its a pretty rough grit, far more than a rhino liner but it seems like thats what you wanted. i havent done and of my bumpers but it came out pretty nice in the bed. its about $30 a quart (1 gallon does a 6foot bed. 4 quarts in a gallon) or $100 for a full kit which includes a gallon along with the necessary brush, roller, and sanding material

4. Nov 30, 2009 at 7:48 PM
    CUtigerfan

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    04 Base
    Theres a guy on here who I think used Herculiner on his bumpers and his grille surround and it looks awful imo on the grille surround. thats why I wanted something different that would be smooth for both the grille surround and the plastic on the front bumper. I've heard of some stuff in a spray can called plasti-dip or somthing like that. I might try that if its durable enough to take a little bit of offroad abuse. I need something that can take being hit by brush and red clay then be washed off and scrubbed afterwards.

5. Dec 2, 2009 at 12:35 AM
    supremetaco2

supremetaco2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    concrete jungle, oahu
    Vehicle:
    04inacoma
    +hp, lifted, lights, dif breather mod, debadged, shorty antenna...
    anyone did their undercarriage? if you have post some pics please :)

6. Dec 2, 2009 at 1:03 PM
    CUtigerfan

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    04 Base
    that would be a pita to do. the undercarriage of my truck is way too dirty to attempt that. theres red clay in places it'll never come out of

7. Dec 2, 2009 at 5:00 PM
    oofy15354

oofy15354 Proud Tundra *****

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Massachusetts
    Herculiner, Access Tonneau, Uniden cb, firestik antennae, Bosch Wipers, JVC Ipod headunit, Boston Acoustic Speakers
    yeah i only mentioned herculiner cause i though u were looking for a rougher texture.

the plasticolor (duracolor? something like that) stuff is pretty good or so ive heard

8. Dec 2, 2009 at 5:05 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
  9. Dec 2, 2009 at 7:35 PM
    CUtigerfan

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    04 Base
    I think I looked at this at one point. I took the rear bumper off completely since I used a rattle can and didn't want to risk any overspray. I took off the plastic top piece, the lights, plug, clips for license plate and lights. sanded the entire bumper down to bare metal or the black primer layer but only because the factory coating was flaking off. I wiped it down with rubbing alcohol and hung it. Ended up putting about 5 coats on it but it turned out great. I haven't got to the front yet b/c I want to do the same thing and pull the whole bumper insert out and spray it by itself. since you left it on the truck when you coated it can you see any spots that you missed?

10. Dec 2, 2009 at 7:40 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    yeah.......there were a few spots that i missed....not real bad, but im gonna recoat when i have the time(and heat working in my garage).

11. Dec 2, 2009 at 8:47 PM
    supremetaco2

supremetaco2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    concrete jungle, oahu
    Vehicle:
    04inacoma
    +hp, lifted, lights, dif breather mod, debadged, shorty antenna...
    i think im going to attempt to herculine my undercarriage this week. itll be a bitch to do, but since i got time on my hands, its all good. the fenders are almost done, gotta apply one more coat then finish :D

12. Dec 3, 2009 at 1:15 PM
    CUtigerfan

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    04 Base
    I definitely want to see some pics of this.

Still nobody with recommendations on what to paint the grille surround and bumper valence with?

13. Dec 3, 2009 at 1:54 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    probably,if you are gonna paint them black.......some adhesion promoter and some krylon fusion....made for plastic...and the adhesion promoter helps the paint stay opn plastic really well....kinda bonds it.

14. Dec 3, 2009 at 2:01 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    I have had luck with Duplicolor trim paint. It comes in a green colored can. You can buy it at pretty much any auto parts store. I repainted the side mouldings on my old honda accord and it lasted for 5 years and never faded. They were still nice and black when I sold the car. I just sanded them with some 600 grit sandpaper and cleaned them with alcohol, then sprayed multiple light coats and built it up.

15. Dec 3, 2009 at 3:04 PM
    CUtigerfan

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    04 Base
    Is the grille surround on the 1st gens plastic? I have 4 options and need some input on what would look/ last the best

1.) just repaint gray (chrome for most of you) front bumper trim with bedliner and leave the bumper valence and grille surround how it is. (main problem with this one is the grille surround would be the only piece of trim left on the truck with the factory gray coating on it)
    2.) Repaint front bumper piece and the entire front bumper with bedliner as well as the bumper trim (worried it might look bad with the entire bumper the same color/texture & grille surround would still be only trim piece left with factory coating)
    3.) repaint front bumper trim with bedliner like in 1 but repaint grille surround with some kind of black paint
    4.) repaint entire front bumper with bedliner like in 2 but repaint grille surround with black paint

What do you guys think?

16. Dec 3, 2009 at 3:06 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    yep.....grille is plastic.

and i go with number 3. i think it'd look better....................but ultimately...do what YOU think will look best.

17. Dec 3, 2009 at 3:16 PM
    CUtigerfan

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    04 Base
    well I'm considering leaving the grille surround how it is since its not flaking like the rest of the trim. but like I said I think it would look weird with the rest of the trim black

18. Dec 3, 2009 at 3:24 PM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    See, my front bumper flaked away too. My grill surround did the same. All of the clear coat. I see you have the impulse red too. Hmmmm. The bumper doesn't really bother me as I have a new one on the way, but the grill I want to stay reed though.

One thing to ponder, You are in the south right? When your truck is parked does it get a good bit of sun on the rear? Because my rear is fine, but not the front.

19. Dec 3, 2009 at 5:28 PM
    CUtigerfan

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    04 Base
    you know I might have called you crazy for saying that but the bumpers didn't have anything wrong with them when I got it and the previous owner had it in Virginia for 5 years. I've had it for 8 months and they started peeling and looking bad.
    my trucks parked every which way. theres no particular direction its parked in most of the time.

20. Dec 3, 2009 at 5:31 PM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    Mine were good too when I bought them, then the clear coat started to bubble and finally cracked. I park all over too, I am just trying to figure it out. Oh well, you have any pics of the paint job ya did?

Products Discussed in

To Top