Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

I need help repairing deep scratches in my hood

Old 12-07-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
I need help repairing deep scratches in my hood

Aye aye aye!

So the previous owner had one of those useless hood shield things on the truck and I decided to take it off because I knew it was scratching the crap out of my hood. now what?

How should I remove these sticky things? (some over the headlight plastic)
Then how should I fix the deep scratches properly?

Old 12-07-2009, 06:54 PM   #2
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-07-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Jerk View Post
ya sigh*
Old 12-07-2009, 06:58 PM   #5
1st gen > 2nd gen

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw View Post
goo gone to remove the sticky stuff. scratches idk how to do those somebody else will ring in soon
and goo gone is alright to use on the lights?
Old 12-07-2009, 07:00 PM   #7
1st gen > 2nd gen

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw View Post
i dont think it would hurt them. but i honestly dont know
ill try a small test area first just to be safe
Old 12-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #8
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
You might be looking a re-paint. It looks like there is a chip through the paint and it definitely looks like it's through the clear coat.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:06 PM   #9
1st gen > 2nd gen

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
ya that crap went all the way through. uggh!
toutch up paint?
Old 12-07-2009, 07:07 PM   #10
sometimes nonsense is the only sense someone has
rhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
rhodehard09's Tacoma Gallery
well shit man.
you could lightly scuff the scratched area and a very little beyond with some 600 grit sandpaper. then take some factory( i stress factory) touch-up paint and dab some into the scratches. let it dry. put another light coat on and let dry completely. like overnight at the very least. then very lightly wet sand with 1500 grit sand paper. try to only sand where you put the paint(trying to avoid sanding through the clearcoat in the surrounding area). then apply a light coat of clearcoat (also available from the dealer) let dry, apply another coat. let dry at least 24 hours then lightly wet sand with 1500 till it feels pretty smooth. take a little bit of rubbing compound and lightly rub an area about 3 times the size of the original damage. then take a good finishing glaze and rub an area about 5 times the size of the original damage. wax the whole area. this should blend in fairly well. the only way your going to do any better is get the whole hood repainted, which may or may not match the rest of the truck.
good luck
Old 12-07-2009, 07:13 PM   #11
1st gen > 2nd gen

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodehard09 View Post
well shit man.
you could lightly scuff the scratched area and a very little beyond with some 600 grit sandpaper. then take some factory( i stress factory) touch-up paint and dab some into the scratches. let it dry. put another light coat on and let dry completely. like overnight at the very least. then very lightly wet sand with 1500 grit sand paper. try to only sand where you put the paint(trying to avoid sanding through the clearcoat in the surrounding area). then apply a light coat of clearcoat (also available from the dealer) let dry, apply another coat. let dry at least 24 hours then lightly wet sand with 1500 till it feels pretty smooth. take a little bit of rubbing compound and lightly rub an area about 3 times the size of the original damage. then take a good finishing glaze and rub an area about 5 times the size of the original damage. wax the whole area. this should blend in fairly well. the only way your going to do any better is get the whole hood repainted, which may or may not match the rest of the truck.
good luck
Ya ill definitly give that a try, and of course ill use the factory paint.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:21 PM   #13
1st gen > 2nd gen

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
ya ill take it slow, theres no fire burning

Im in California, east bay area.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #15
1st gen > 2nd gen

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodehard09 View Post
gotcha
im in the tampa bay area....florida
well nice to meet you!
Old 12-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #17
1st gen > 2nd gen

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
okay

So I got the sticky peices off with the ever so helpful "goo gone" and its not as bad as I thought. Only two major spots that neep touch up paint, and a slight scratch, the other areas could just use some clear coat and they'll be fine.

Any other suggestions on how to repair these??
Old 12-08-2009, 05:50 PM   #18
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
Must of had the OEM Toyota shield based on the mylar strips in your pictures. Get yourself some Toyota Speedway Blue touch up piant, and finish up with this:

http://www.langka.com/
Old 12-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #19
1st gen > 2nd gen

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
yup, gotta love the useless bug deflector.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:50 AM   #20
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 925swbTacoma View Post
yup, gotta love the useless bug deflector.
I have a Weatertech bug shield on my truck and love it. I think it keeps the leading edge of the hood from getting knciked up with rocks, and it seems to reduce bug guts all over my windhshied in the summer. I guess it's a matter of taste really.