1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tired of your windshield fogging up?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by The_Dude, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Dec 19, 2009 at 4:27 PM
    The_Dude

The_Dude [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    One of my professors at school taught us this trick a couple of years ago that prevents fog from forming on your windshield or any glass for that matter. It's not rocket science but I wouldn't have thought about doing it.

To start, get some windex, or whatever you want, and clean the inside of your windshield. Once dry, get a couple of dry, clean rags and pour a light amount of liquid dish soap on one of them. Dab the windshield (inside your truck) several times to spread out the majority of the soap. After that, you just start smearing the soap everywhere until you can see residue all over the windshield. Keep using clean rags to wipe away the soap until you can't see it anymore.

Pretty much what you have done is created a thin, invisible, layer of soap on your windshield. When you're all done breath on the windshield and it won't fog up. It takes a while to do and a lot of arm-work but it's worth it.

2. Dec 19, 2009 at 4:30 PM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    interesting...how long does this work for. If it snows or ice forms on the windshield during the night will it affect it or is this applied on the inside rather than the outside?

3. Dec 19, 2009 at 4:36 PM
    The_Dude

The_Dude [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    It will last a pretty good amount of time. I don't really have the need to clean the cabin side of the windshield too often other than with a dry cloth just to get the dust. But, if you use a wet rag or any chemicals then you'll have to do it again.

I don't know if the Rain-X anti-fog stuff works or not. Never used it.

I edited the OP to indicate this is done on the inside of the truck.

4. Dec 19, 2009 at 4:47 PM
    sachou

sachou Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Richland, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport Acc Cab 4x4 V6 6spd
    The rain-x anti fog does NOT work at all.

I picked up a bottle for $3 a little while ago, thinking that if it help my fogging at ALL, it'd be worth the spare change.

It actually fogged worse then before. My theory is the window was dirty, and it had some residue on it, which caused the fog not to form, and the rain-x just cleaned it off.

I believe if you put pretty much anything on the glass, it will help to keep the fog off. I've heard of people using liquid soap, bar soap, potatoes, and other various fruits and veggies. Haven't tried any of them though.

Just don't buy rain-x antifog.

5. Dec 19, 2009 at 5:03 PM
    kjf216

kjf216 Fitz

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Ridley Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    Head unit, speakers, LEDs
    the rain-x does work but its a bitch to get it without marks, your arm will be tired lol

6. Dec 19, 2009 at 5:08 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Nice thread dude +1 :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top