Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

How do I remove interior scuffs?

Old 12-30-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
cortez_a is on a distinguished road
Name: Andy
cortez_a's Tacoma Gallery
How do I remove interior scuffs?

Last week I was installing Sirius in my Taco. When I removed the CD player, it ended up scuffing the vinyl panel just under the A/C controls. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can use to remove the scuffs?
Old 12-31-2009, 05:00 PM   #3
cortez_a is on a distinguished road
Name: Andy
cortez_a's Tacoma Gallery
It's hard plastic, but it has been molded to appear like leather. Here's a couple of pics.

The first pic is a little blurry, but you can still see all of the scuffs. Like I said, its just below the A/C controls.

The Second pic is more detailed and shows the the molded plastic as well as one of the larger scuffs.

Thanks to anyone with ideas or suggestions
Old 01-08-2010, 06:09 AM   #7
iTacozz will become famous soon enough

Name: Charlie
iTacozz's Tacoma Gallery
On my Dodge I used a hair dryer to heat the area up then I used 1000-1500 grit sand paper and only rubbed it in one direction very soft.... It will soften the look and get rid of the snag pieces.. Then rub on usual vinyl protectant... It looked a heck of a lot better other than buying a whole new piece.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #8
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
There is no true way to get rid of the scuffs, you can only hide them such as heating the scuff area up with a heat gun and trying to blend the scuff. Another trick if the scuffs aren't deep gousges is to put a light coat of Vaseline over them....hides/fades them pretty good
Old 01-11-2010, 10:51 AM   #9
raskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
raskal311's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Vinyl like the plastic stuff or the fake leather looking stuff??
If it's the plastic-you can try to heat it with a butane heat gun or indirect heat from a flame...Once it's soft rub gently with a finger to try to soften the appearance of the scratch.
The leather looking stuff....No idea.
This sounds like a really bad idea to me. I would say heat it up with a heat gun and hope it goes away; putting your finger on it could make it worst.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #10
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by raskal311 View Post
This sounds like a really bad idea to me. I would say heat it up with a heat gun and hope it goes away; putting your finger on it could make it worst.
Yeah, be careful and remember anyone can give you advice.

Not that this helps now, but next time you might want to creat a protective barrier around teh work area, maybe by duct taping some type of material (plastic sheeting, etc) that can be easily removed after the next project. At least, glue from the tape would come off.

Good luck!
Old 01-11-2010, 12:02 PM   #11
Rob
robdawg14m is a jewel in the roughrobdawg14m is a jewel in the roughrobdawg14m is a jewel in the rough
Marines: 2nd MP BN
Name: Robert
robdawg14m's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same problem with the scuff marks when I had my aftermarket radio installed. I went the so called "dumb" route and used a lighter to heat up the plastic for a second or two. Once the plastic softened up a little I just rubbed my finger over it and the marks disappeared.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:02 PM   #12
TA06CO
TA06CO is on a distinguished road
TA06CO's Tacoma Gallery
I usually hit up the newer car junkyards and find pieces that tend to break or scuff and then I have an extra part. Most junkyards will not charge very much for interior parts.