Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

First Coat of Wax?

Old 12-31-2009, 12:49 AM   #1
Palmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant future

Army: U.S. Army
Name: Pete
Palmetto Pete's Tacoma Gallery
First Coat of Wax?

Does anybody have any suggestions on when I should apply my first coat of wax on the new truck? I have had it since the end of October and haven't noticed any water-spots or anything yet. When it rains the water seems to still bead up very well also. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:53 AM   #2
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Do it as often as you'd like bud...it won't hurt any thing
Old 12-31-2009, 12:55 AM   #3
Palmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant future

Looks like I have something to do over the weekend!
Old 12-31-2009, 01:13 AM   #4
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-31-2009, 04:37 AM   #5
Ramphonic is on a distinguished road

Ramphonic's Tacoma Gallery
I would do it right away. Only time you shouldnt wax right away is if something is freshly painted.

So I would.

Wash (car wash not dish soap)

Clay bar (removes any bonded contaminants from shipping.)

wash again

apply a polish (Like meguiars #7)

Wax (like meguiars nxt 2.0)

Then I would maintain it with a quick detailer.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:16 PM   #6

Ramphonic - Thanks for the tips. Looks like I have a busy weekend ahead of me!
Old 01-01-2010, 07:08 AM   #7
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottcrumley24 View Post
Do it as often as you'd like bud...it won't hurt any thing
Amen. Factory paint is baked and there's no need to wait!
Old 01-01-2010, 07:54 AM   #8
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
If the factory can put that damn plastic protective sheeting on the paint right off the assembly line I would think putting on a coat of wax is not a problem.

The only time that you need to wait to wax is right after having some paint work done. My local body shop told me to wait 30 days after getting some damage fixed to allow the solvents in the paint to evaporate and let paint to fully cure.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:56 AM   #9
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
If you dont like to spend alot of time waxing, check out the CSI wax Polishandwax sells. Its good stuff.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:05 AM   #10
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketball View Post
The only time that you need to wait to wax is right after having some paint work done. My local body shop told me to wait 30 days after getting some damage fixed to allow the solvents in the paint to evaporate and let paint to fully cure.
In most cases, that is correct. However, some body shops bake (typically higher-end shops), accelerating the outgassing of solvents and eliminating the need to wait.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:18 PM   #11
CtYankee is a jewel in the roughCtYankee is a jewel in the roughCtYankee is a jewel in the rough

Army:
CtYankee's Tacoma Gallery
i cant wait for the weather to warm up to do the first coat of wax.... cmon spring dammit!
good luck!
Old 01-10-2010, 05:31 PM   #13
ClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Army Guard 31B
Name: Cam
ClemsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtYankee View Post
i cant wait for the weather to warm up to do the first coat of wax.... cmon spring dammit!
good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
X2!
If it's too cold out do what I do, take it to a drive through car wash and wax it when you get back home. I did that yesterday along with shampoo my carpet and seats
Old 01-10-2010, 07:09 PM   #14
CtYankee is a jewel in the roughCtYankee is a jewel in the roughCtYankee is a jewel in the rough

Army:
believe me i would, but my garage isnt heated.... its one step up from a shack, LOL
Old 01-10-2010, 07:26 PM   #16

If it's above freezing, you should wax it.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #17
Joe Taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Joe
Joe Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Rejex. You'll never use anything else again.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:12 PM   #18

Army:
just put my first coat of wax on it today in 30+ degrees.
it needed to be done... ahhhhh, exhilerating!
Old 01-22-2010, 06:39 PM   #19
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishAndWax.com View Post
Amen. Factory paint is baked and there's no need to wait!
Agreed. They bake panels from the factory at higher temps than those at body shops b/c they typically dont have other factors to consider (ie: melting rubber/plastic). Factor that w/ time a vehicle is in transit and on the lot, and you have nothing to worry about. go ahead and wax whenever you'd like
Old 02-12-2010, 05:13 PM   #20
SMOKED DC TACO is on a distinguished road

Name: Brad
SMOKED DC TACO's Tacoma Gallery
i work as a detailer and i like mequires professional wax, i thinkt it is #20 ( hi tech yellow wax), most dealerships use a thin layer of sealer wax which works for a while. personally i try to wax it once a month. (never wax in direct sun light, best in shaded area)