Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Access LE Install on a 09 Tacoma

Old 01-03-2010, 07:19 AM   #1
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Access LE Install on a 09 Tacoma

I did a lot of searching and never found a thread about the Access LE install on a Tacoma so I thought a thread would be in order.

I will start by saying that one person can do the install but two would be ideal. I am satisfied with the product as it fits my requirements. For some you might want to consider another one of the Access products. With the LE you get a top of the line unlocking system and a tailgate seal that does not work too well with the Tacoma. The Access site, http://www.agricover.com/index.php , also has a clamp with cargo hooks listed but these are not needed or included with the LE for a 2005+ Tacoma. I had to call Customer Service twice and both times Randy was very helpful.

You really need to read the instructions and pay attention to the instruction insert for the Tacoma. Unpack the tonneau cover and take inventory of all the parts.

Remove one of the bed side rails to start the install. One tip is that the longer bolts, supplied with the cover, use a smaller thorax drive so be careful and do not strip the bolt head. Once you begin the actual install of the side rail I found it easier to start with the middle bolt and work towards the end bolts. This is where having a friend to help would be ideal.

Next up is the install of the front weather seal to the top of the bed.

Then we add the front tension dials to the cover and then bolt to the side rails.

Unroll the tonneau cover and it snaps right into the rear of the side rails with a nice tight fit.

The last item to install is the rear tailgate gasket that comes with the Access LE. I decided to install the gasket to the vertical surface of the tailgate and not the lower horizontal surface. When I tried to install the gasket as one piece the bend at the bottom was constantly being hit by the lower edge of the tailgate. If I tried to install the horizontal seal then the gasket was above the surface plane of the truck bed. I use the truck as a garden center hauler so I felt that one good load of top soil, sand, rock or mulch then the seal would be trashed.

If any member has the tailgate gasket installed and hauls garden center items I would like you input for the longevity of the gasket.

If you have a question concerning the install go ahead and ask and I will answer and take additional pictures if needed.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
Scorn is on a distinguished road
Scorn's Tacoma Gallery
Easy Install? Why Acess LE?

I am just about to order this cover how do you like it? Was it an easy install and is it worth the extra $40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95SLE View Post
I did a lot of searching and never found a thread about the Access LE install on a Tacoma so I thought a thread would be in order.

I will start by saying that one person can do the install but two would be ideal. I am satisfied with the product as it fits my requirements. For some you might want to consider another one of the Access products. With the LE you get a top of the line unlocking system and a tailgate seal that does not work too well with the Tacoma. The Access site, http://www.agricover.com/index.php , also has a clamp with cargo hooks listed but these are not needed or included with the LE for a 2005+ Tacoma. I had to call Customer Service twice and both times Randy was very helpful.

You really need to read the instructions and pay attention to the instruction insert for the Tacoma. Unpack the tonneau cover and take inventory of all the parts.

Remove one of the bed side rails to start the install. One tip is that the longer bolts, supplied with the cover, use a smaller thorax drive so be careful and do not strip the bolt head. Once you begin the actual install of the side rail I found it easier to start with the middle bolt and work towards the end bolts. This is where having a friend to help would be ideal.

Next up is the install of the front weather seal to the top of the bed.

Then we add the front tension dials to the cover and then bolt to the side rails.

Unroll the tonneau cover and it snaps right into the rear of the side rails with a nice tight fit.

The last item to install is the rear tailgate gasket that comes with the Access LE. I decided to install the gasket to the vertical surface of the tailgate and not the lower horizontal surface. When I tried to install the gasket as one piece the bend at the bottom was constantly being hit by the lower edge of the tailgate. If I tried to install the horizontal seal then the gasket was above the surface plane of the truck bed. I use the truck as a garden center hauler so I felt that one good load of top soil, sand, rock or mulch then the seal would be trashed.

If any member has the tailgate gasket installed and hauls garden center items I would like you input for the longevity of the gasket.

If you have a question concerning the install go ahead and ask and I will answer and take additional pictures if needed.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
I am just about to order this cover how do you like it? Was it an easy install and is it worth the extra $40.

I am still liking it a lot. Never any wetness in the bed and it held up outside in the snow this winter. I keep it clean with Aerospace 303.

It is a breeze to unroll and get out of the way for trips to the garden center.

The only con is the side rail tie downs will not fit but I did not use them anyway.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
redz80 is a splendid one to beholdredz80 is a splendid one to beholdredz80 is a splendid one to beholdredz80 is a splendid one to beholdredz80 is a splendid one to beholdredz80 is a splendid one to beholdredz80 is a splendid one to beholdredz80 is a splendid one to behold

redz80's Tacoma Gallery
why don't the tie downs fit after the cover was installed it looks like the cover leaves the rail system wide open? Is it the brackets for the cover are to low to fit the tie downs in?
Old 11-21-2010, 04:37 AM   #5
Old Man Winter

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by redz80 View Post
why don't the tie downs fit after the cover was installed it looks like the cover leaves the rail system wide open? Is it the brackets for the cover are to low to fit the tie downs in?
The way the the metal brackets, that have the velcro strips, are bent do not allow the larger base of the stock tie down rings to fit into the stock rail. I believe the smaller optional tie down rings will fit.

I am still like the cover after a year of use. I have not had any issues even when hauling rock and mulch.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
Thermonuclear Protection
478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

478DblSport's Tacoma Gallery
+1 rep to you sir. Referenced yours & Pharmakon's write-ups and purchased an Access Roll Up cover from Truck Alterations http://www.truckalterations.com/html/tacomaworld.html. Very pleased with the product, dealer, and installation was simple thanks to y'all.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
Old Man Winter

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
TY

I keep the cover clean and protected with 303 Aerospace Protectant after every other wash. Still looks brand new.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:41 AM   #9
Papas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapas Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blue
Papas Taco's Tacoma Gallery
First, thanks for the write up. Great job!

I was going to get this tonneau but now I have reservations that the rail tie-downs will not work.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:51 AM   #10
maestroz2 is on a distinguished road

Name: Dave
maestroz2's Tacoma Gallery
I installed this same cover last year. My tie downs still work. the cover does everything I need it to.

I did not put the tailgate gasket in and it still keeps the snow/water out for the most part.

One thing i did was replace the bolts that come with the cover for the bed channels. The ones that came with the cover started to rust and was worried I wouldn't be able to get them out very easy later on.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #11
Old Man Winter

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papas Taco View Post
First, thanks for the write up. Great job!

I was going to get this tonneau but now I have reservations that the rail tie-downs will not work.
The stock tie downs will not work. However the smaller tie downs work to perfection.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:33 PM   #12
novataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud of
novataco's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, nice write up, but I have to disagree with you about the stock cleats not working with the Access LE. I have the same cover and they work fine. I originally took off the end caps of the tonneau rail and slid them on, but have later discovered that you don't even have to do that. Look for the slotted tabs in the cleat track and you can put the cleat in the track there. The height of the tonneu cover rails clears the cleats just fine.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/224170...tra-cab/page-2
Old 03-23-2011, 02:50 AM   #13
Old Man Winter

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by novataco View Post
Hey, nice write up, but I have to disagree with you about the stock cleats not working with the Access LE. I have the same cover and they work fine. I originally took off the end caps of the tonneau rail and slid them on, but have later discovered that you don't even have to do that. Look for the slotted tabs in the cleat track and you can put the cleat in the track there. The height of the tonneu cover rails clears the cleats just fine.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/224170...tra-cab/page-2
I did not try that approach. I will try it after I get back from the gym this morning.

Well i am back from the gym and tried it. It worked great. Thank you for telling me how to install the regular size bed cleat. PER for you.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:38 AM   #16
Old Man Winter

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by novataco View Post
No problem. Now you have a nice assortment of cleats to work with.
Already added the 4 original cleats into the rails. An increased versitility for securing loads in the truck.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:04 PM   #17
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
I have this cover also and like it.Been on since 09 and it still looks like new.Use the full size cleats with mine as well with no problems.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #18
novataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud of
novataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95SLE View Post
The stock tie downs will not work. However the smaller tie downs work to perfection.

Hey, looking at your cargo net set-up, I bet you could attach it to two of these

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

and have a movable solid cargo divider. Might be a little pain to move two cargo bars, but it would not budge when you have something heavy like a propane tank, or lots of groceries or whatnot. Where did you get that net?
Old 05-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #19
Old Man Winter

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Since i posted that photo I have found out that the stock tie down clamps in the bed rail will work so that is an error on my part.

The cargo net is there to hold the groceries in place against the tailgate. My Tacoma does do duty as a grocery getter on Sunday mornings after church.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #20
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Tom,,, How much for the yellow hard hat????