Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Covering Trim from Wax, Polish, etc.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:34 AM   #1
Scott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to behold
Name: Scott
Scott K's Tacoma Gallery
Covering Trim from Wax, Polish, etc.

What do you guys use to cover up (or isolate/protect) trim when you're waxing that you dont' want to get wax on ? Do you just be really careful, or do you use some sort of tape, or what is the general practice? I know from experience that some things can look ugly and retain wax when you get it on them so....
Old 01-30-2010, 07:35 AM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i never cover any of my trim up. if i happen to get some wax or something on the trim, i'll use a lil mothers back to black, or a lil wd/40 to remove it. most of the waxes they have out now wont leave a white residue on the trim tho.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:36 AM   #3
What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?
moto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
moto932's Tacoma Gallery
i just try to be careful around the trim. doesn't always work for me though as i always get some wax on the trim somewhere.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:38 AM   #4
Support our troops!
The End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Master at Arms
Name: Tim
The End's Tacoma Gallery
Meguiars tech 2.0 is really good and doesn't leave a residue. I just try to be careful if I around the plastic parts.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:35 AM   #6
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott K View Post
What do you guys use to cover up (or isolate/protect) trim when you're waxing that you dont' want to get wax on ? Do you just be really careful, or do you use some sort of tape, or what is the general practice? I know from experience that some things can look ugly and retain wax when you get it on them so....
Use a wax that doesn't stain. There are plenty of them out there. CSI Q-7 Wax, Duragloss Aquawax, Eagle One Nanonwax, Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax, SYSTEM ONE Wax, etc.

Most of the new water-based polishes dont' stain either, but it's a good idea to cover trim to protect it from be polished by a machine, as this can tear it up. Masking tape or carpenter's tape works well.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:46 AM   #7
L8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant future

Air Force: Retired
L8Rmike's Tacoma Gallery
I use Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 and tape off the black trim with blue painters tape.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:54 PM   #8
Scott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to behold
Name: Scott
Scott K's Tacoma Gallery
Well it's also not JUST about protecting trim, but how about a potential build up of wax in certain areas as well - a wax "ridge" so to speak?
Old 01-31-2010, 07:23 PM   #9
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
^The same waxes that don't stain, don't build up white lines/crust.