LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Does a 1999 Black Tacoma have a clear coat?

Old 02-10-2010, 08:19 AM   #1
5.0 Hatch is on a distinguished road
5.0 Hatch's Tacoma Gallery
Does a 1999 Black Tacoma have a clear coat?

I'm having a difficult time keeping up the paint on my 99 Tacoma. It hazes up REALLY bad compared to any other black vehicle I ever owned. The truck only has 39k miles and has been parked under a cover most of its life. The thing that gets me is that it doesn't look to have a clear coat at all, the roof stays dull no matter how much detail work I put into it. Is it possible that the previous owner may have buffed it through the clear? or does it not have a clear to begin with?

Any advice would be great.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
It could potentially be a single stage paint. If you use a good chemical paint cleaner (poorboys Professional Polish comes to mind), the pad or applicator will most likely turn black. I highly doubt the previous owner managed to burn through the clear across the whole vehicle.
Where are you located? There may be a detailer near you that could help diagnose the paint condition.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:28 AM   #3
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Hatch View Post
I'm having a difficult time keeping up the paint on my 99 Tacoma. It hazes up REALLY bad compared to any other black vehicle I ever owned. The truck only has 39k miles and has been parked under a cover most of its life. The thing that gets me is that it doesn't look to have a clear coat at all, the roof stays dull no matter how much detail work I put into it. Is it possible that the previous owner may have buffed it through the clear? or does it not have a clear to begin with?

Any advice would be great.
Its almost impossible to tell just by 'looking'. From what I've heard, the only factory color from Toyota in recent history that was NOT clearcoated was white.

That being said, your truck could have been repainted. Are you the original owner? Factory paint typically holds up much better than a repaint. You can tell by using a paint gauge (I have one and it's very easy to tell).

Take some micro-abrasive polish and rub a very small area with a light-clolored cloth until the paint looks rich and shiny. Wipe off all the polish and then rub the area again with polish and a clean light-colored cloth. If you get black residue on the second application, there is no clear coat. The first application may remove oxidation and junk on the paint's surface that may darken the cloth, which is why I recommend you do it twice.

Single-stage paints have gotten a bad name, but there's nothing inherently wrong with them. Both single-stage and two-stage (basecoat/clearcoat) can be done well...and poorly.

A paint-expert friend of mine says there is nothing richer and darker than a well-done single-stage black paint job.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:32 AM   #4
Not the original owner but I purchased it with 11k miles and it was never driven in the rain before I even bought it and was very well taken care of. So I'm 99% sure there is no paint work done on the truck
Old 02-11-2010, 07:49 AM   #5
What?
danbow has much to be proud ofdanbow has much to be proud ofdanbow has much to be proud ofdanbow has much to be proud ofdanbow has much to be proud ofdanbow has much to be proud ofdanbow has much to be proud ofdanbow has much to be proud of

Name: Daniel
danbow's Tacoma Gallery
Easiest way to see if it is 2 stage (w/ clear coat) or single stage... I use this trick all the time as I have to write estimates on vehicle damage.

Find a place that you won't mind a scratch ( I used already dmgd areas) use a coin or key to lightly scratch the paint. If the scratch is grey or metallic you have single stage, if the scratch shows up white, you have 2 stage as clear coat scratches white.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:51 AM   #6
What?
danbow has much to be proud ofdanbow has much to be proud ofdanbow has much to be proud ofdanbow has much to be proud ofdanbow has much to be proud ofdanbow has much to be proud ofdanbow has much to be proud ofdanbow has much to be proud of

Name: Daniel
danbow's Tacoma Gallery
there is also a paint code that should be in the door jam that you could always look-up
Old 02-11-2010, 12:54 PM   #7
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Not the original owner but I purchased it with 11k miles and it was never driven in the rain before I even bought it and was very well taken care of. So I'm 99% sure there is no paint work done on the truck
Have you ever polished off all the oxidation and then tried to maintain it with regular washes and waxes?

If so, how often do you wash and wax it?
Old 02-11-2010, 02:08 PM   #8
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbow View Post
Easiest way to see if it is 2 stage (w/ clear coat) or single stage... I use this trick all the time as I have to write estimates on vehicle damage.

Find a place that you won't mind a scratch ( I used already dmgd areas) use a coin or key to lightly scratch the paint. If the scratch is grey or metallic you have single stage, if the scratch shows up white, you have 2 stage as clear coat scratches white.
I wouldnt do that at all! Maybe if a panel was shot and needed to be repainted.
Just polish it up and see if you get significant color transfer on to the pad. Its a much safer way to test it out.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
I wouldnt do that at all! Maybe if a panel was shot and needed to be repainted.
Just polish it up and see if you get significant color transfer on to the pad. Its a much safer way to test it out.
Amen.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:48 AM   #10
I'll give it a try guys and report back. Thanks,
Old 02-17-2010, 06:01 PM   #11
Just updating the thread to let everyone know that it does have a clear.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Just updating the thread to let everyone know that it does have a clear.
As we expected...