1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

got lazy.. painted over rust in paint chip

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by ywen, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Feb 11, 2010 at 4:13 PM
    ywen

ywen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Okay paint chip at the front edge of the hood is about 1/8" long 1/16" wide.. has rust in it.. I just put a few layers of duplicolor touchup over it.. I should be okay right? Or should go back and sand it down to remove the rust?

2. Feb 11, 2010 at 4:19 PM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    "I Should be okay, right?"

No. It won't last.

In the future, the trick is to touch it up right away before it rusts, if at all possible.

3. Feb 11, 2010 at 4:52 PM
    ywen

ywen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    well I got the truck with that chip like that a month ago.. you think it's worth it to sand it back down and redo it?

however I was thinking that as long as I put down a few layers covering it up and depriving it of oxygen, it should end the rust.. we're talking about a tiny chip at the front of the hood. I'm putting on a bug deflector in the next couple of days which will shield it

4. Feb 11, 2010 at 5:30 PM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    If it were me, i would use a Dremel on it with the appropriate attachment that would allow me to hit only the diamater of the chip. Possibly a more course attachement, (briefly) followed by a finer attachment.

That would allow you to pin point the work to the intended area. Prime immediately after, let dry, and follow with a single coat of touch-up, let dry, and add / let dry until you layer it to the needed height.

5. Feb 11, 2010 at 5:32 PM
    BRP27

BRP27 When I grow up I want to be just like Me

Member:
    So far south in Texas my feet are in salt water
    Vehicle:
    04 4X4 Tacoma SR5
    3 in Ultimate ToyTec, set @ 2.5 in. AAL PINCH Weld Mod ( beat the pinch weld over inside the fender) Painted the pinch weld on bottom of cab Black Hi Lift Knock off
    I had some areas on my roof where there were spots of rust the size of a pin head. Sanding them down was not an option because you would do more damage sanding to the surrounding paint making a small problem a big fix. So I used a pocket knife to dig into the pin hole and work at the rust and dig it out. Then I touched up the paint . Is it perfect? no. But it is better than it was, so that's where I left it. I would recommend the same for you. Wait and see. Keep an eye on it when you wash and wax the truck.Repair if you see rust again or lifting of the paint in the repaired area.
    You should have tried to remove the rust with something. A dremel maybe but ...

Products Discussed in

To Top