Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

got lazy.. painted over rust in paint chip

Old 02-11-2010, 04:13 PM   #1
ywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
got lazy.. painted over rust in paint chip

Okay paint chip at the front edge of the hood is about 1/8" long 1/16" wide.. has rust in it.. I just put a few layers of duplicolor touchup over it.. I should be okay right? Or should go back and sand it down to remove the rust?
Old 02-11-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
"I Should be okay, right?"

No. It won't last.

In the future, the trick is to touch it up right away before it rusts, if at all possible.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:52 PM   #3
ywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
well I got the truck with that chip like that a month ago.. you think it's worth it to sand it back down and redo it?

however I was thinking that as long as I put down a few layers covering it up and depriving it of oxygen, it should end the rust.. we're talking about a tiny chip at the front of the hood. I'm putting on a bug deflector in the next couple of days which will shield it
Old 02-11-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ywen View Post
well I got the truck with that chip like that a month ago.. you think it's worth it to sand it back down and redo it?

however I was thinking that as long as I put down a few layers covering it up and depriving it of oxygen, it should end the rust.. we're talking about a tiny chip at the front of the hood. I'm putting on a bug deflector in the next couple of days which will shield it
If it were me, i would use a Dremel on it with the appropriate attachment that would allow me to hit only the diamater of the chip. Possibly a more course attachement, (briefly) followed by a finer attachment.

That would allow you to pin point the work to the intended area. Prime immediately after, let dry, and follow with a single coat of touch-up, let dry, and add / let dry until you layer it to the needed height.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:32 PM   #5
When I grow up I want to be just like Me
BRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BRP27's Tacoma Gallery
I had some areas on my roof where there were spots of rust the size of a pin head. Sanding them down was not an option because you would do more damage sanding to the surrounding paint making a small problem a big fix. So I used a pocket knife to dig into the pin hole and work at the rust and dig it out. Then I touched up the paint . Is it perfect? no. But it is better than it was, so that's where I left it. I would recommend the same for you. Wait and see. Keep an eye on it when you wash and wax the truck.Repair if you see rust again or lifting of the paint in the repaired area.
You should have tried to remove the rust with something. A dremel maybe but ...