Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

scratched headlamps

Old 02-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
So-Cal Member
BigSteve is on a distinguished road
BigSteve's Tacoma Gallery
scratched headlamps

Alright so I made the dumb mistake of using the rough side of a sponge to try and get some grime off my headlight covers. Now my clear lenses are not crystal clear, they have tiny swirls or scratches in them and it bugs the crap out of me. Does anyone know of any solutions to get rid of these imperfections?
Old 02-14-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
RC51 is on a distinguished road

Name: mike
RC51's Tacoma Gallery
wax?
Old 02-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
So-Cal Member
i tried some mother's car wax and it didn't work...
Old 02-14-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
Get yourself a headlight restoration kit from your local auto parts store. The kind of kit you would use to remove the "haze" from older headlight lenses. As long as the scratches are not too severe, that should do the trick. Just take your time and follow the instructions.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:59 PM   #5
So-Cal Member
Does anyone have any experiences with using
- Mother's Plastic Polish
or
- Meguiars Plastix
Old 02-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #6
saltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant future

Name: johnny
saltshaker's Tacoma Gallery
I've used meguiars plastx to get the scratches out of my cell phone, it has a hard plastic cover over the outer display screen.

my headlights are really hazy, I'll try it on them Wednesday and let you know if you don't get it figured out before then.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:09 PM   #7
So-Cal Member
awesome looking forward to seeing how it works out for you. I have been reading around and it seems like the best results come from when you combine Plastx with a powerball.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:55 AM   #8
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Might also try some Novus Plastic polish. I've used it to clean/polish motorcycle windshields.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:04 AM   #9
bram will become famous soon enoughbram will become famous soon enough
Name: Bram
bram's Tacoma Gallery
u can polish the plastic just like u polish the paint did this several times on customer cars
Old 02-17-2010, 02:38 PM   #10
saltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant future

Name: johnny
saltshaker's Tacoma Gallery
here's what meguires plastx did with a sponge applicator and a microfiber rag. I just rubbed on it about 15 seconds and wiped it off, I did that three times.

before (it looked a little yellow in person)

after

it's not perfect but it looks a lot better I'll rub on it some more one day when l do the other headlight.