Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Cleaning Wheels Help!!!

Old 02-15-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Cleaning Wheels Help!!!

I washed my truck yesterday and i cleaned my wheels (there aluminum bullet holes) but i couldn't get all the spots from the brake dust off. I scrubbed and scrubbed but still couldnt get it off, does anyone know the best way to get this off??
Old 02-15-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
Tsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud of

Name: Greg
Tsenekos's Tacoma Gallery
if you leave brake dust on your rims too long it will actually etch into the rims and you'll never get it all off. A good non acid wheel cleaner may help.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
I'd suggest trying a clay bar or even a mild polish.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
thanks i have the mothers power ball but im not sure what wax to use.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:56 PM   #6
Hambone805 is on a distinguished road

Name: Aaron
Hambone805's Tacoma Gallery
I have Mickey Thompson Classics and I have the same problem. I just cleaned mine today using the power ball and they look a lot better. You can only tell when you look at the rim up close but from far away you cant even tell. I'd still like to know how to get the small black dots off and Michael mothers has a specific wax/polish for use with the powerball.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:02 PM   #8
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun155 View Post
Try brake cleaner.
That could work, but it might take of the top coat of the wheels.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:02 PM   #9
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'd suggest trying a clay bar or even a mild polish.
+1. Clay bar will work wonders. Give it a shot. Use some quick detailer or similar as a lubricant.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:05 PM   #10
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
I'd try a polish, not a wax first. Polish, meaning some type of light abrasive or chemical cleaner. You can always put some wax on later to help keep them clean. To protect, I like to use either collinite 845, optimum opti-seal, or poorboys wheel sealant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun155 View Post
Try brake cleaner.
I wouldnt.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:27 AM   #11
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
The reason I suggest brake cleaner is because it took sharpie marker off my light color lazy boy chair. If it is gentle enough for that I think the rim can stand it. I just wouldn't recomend letting it sit.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:06 PM   #12
Prerunner Paul is on a distinguished road
Prerunner Paul's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-4_Yota View Post
I washed my truck yesterday and i cleaned my wheels (there aluminum bullet holes) but i couldn't get all the spots from the brake dust off. I scrubbed and scrubbed but still couldnt get it off, does anyone know the best way to get this off??
The best thing I do is, I use a little Acetone on a rag and wipe the bad areas, that will get the get it off for sure, without hurting the finish on the rim. Then I use a Brillo Pad, or S.O.S. Pads work good too, and scrub the whole rim. The pads are fine enough not to hurt the rim either. My truck is a 2002, and I've been cleaning the rims that way for 8 years now, and the rims look brand new. I think you'll be happy if you try this.