LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

How have you fixed your scratches and scuffs?

Old 02-18-2010, 01:28 PM   #1
xSpyderguyx has a spectacular aura aboutxSpyderguyx has a spectacular aura aboutxSpyderguyx has a spectacular aura about

Name: Caleb
xSpyderguyx's Tacoma Gallery
How have you fixed your scratches and scuffs?

Well, some assbag bladed my truck...god i was pissed. And its not really that noticable but its right under my TRD logo and i notice it.

Its deep in some spots, but not so much in others. My finger nail catches it in all spots. So its deeper than the clearcoat in some spots. (the dark color under the paint is visible)

Any ideas or methods that you have used.
I tried using some clearcoat scratch repair kit and it didnt work worth a shit. The scratch was still visible.

Touch-up paint maybe?
Old 02-18-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
vatechoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Darryl
vatechoma's Tacoma Gallery
I would take it to a body shop and have someone that really knows what they are doing buff it out. I have seen some pretty amazing results from having a professional buff out scratches/swirls/scuffs. I'm not sure how much it would cost though.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
When I grow up I want to be just like Me
BRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BRP27's Tacoma Gallery
I did this type of repair using touch up paint.

Fill in the scratch using the touch up paint, may take a couple of applications. You are filling in the scratched area with paint to the level of the existing original paint or a little higher.

Now let it dry per the paint instructions

Sand the touch up paint with 400 then 600 then 1000 and finally with 1500 grit wet dry sand paper.Do this wet using a sanding block and stay as much as possible on the scrach repair area only.

The paint will be dull at this point.

Now rub it out using Meguiar's Ultimate Compound (available at Walmart) or another Micro polish using a random orbit polisher

Wax with your favorite wax.

I have had good results with this method, takes a little guts to sand and paint on your new truck, but it is really no big deal.

Or take it to a Paint and Body Shop
Old 02-18-2010, 02:35 PM   #5
Tsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud of

Name: Greg
Tsenekos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRP27 View Post
I did this type of repair using touch up paint.

Fill in the scratch using the touch up paint, may take a couple of applications. You are filling in the scratched area with paint to the level of the existing original paint or a little higher.

Now let it dry per the paint instructions

Sand the touch up paint with 400 then 600 then 1000 and finally with 1500 grit wet dry sand paper.Do this wet using a sanding block and stay as much as possible on the scrach repair area only.

The paint will be dull at this point.

Now rub it out using Meguiar's Ultimate Compound (available at Walmart) or another Micro polish using a random orbit polisher

Wax with your favorite wax.

I have had good results with this method, takes a little guts to sand and paint on your new truck, but it is really no big deal.

Or take it to a Paint and Body Shop
x2 this will work very well
Old 02-19-2010, 08:16 AM   #6
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSpyderguyx View Post
Well, some assbag bladed my truck...god i was pissed. And its not really that noticable but its right under my TRD logo and i notice it.

Its deep in some spots, but not so much in others. My finger nail catches it in all spots. So its deeper than the clearcoat in some spots. (the dark color under the paint is visible)

Any ideas or methods that you have used.
I tried using some clearcoat scratch repair kit and it didnt work worth a shit. The scratch was still visible.

Touch-up paint maybe?
If your fingernail gets caught in the scratch, it's probably too deep to buff out.