Detailing new Tacoma

Old 03-05-2010, 05:34 AM   #41
BrianUNC is on a distinguished road
BrianUNC's Tacoma Gallery
On mine, I did...

Clay
Klasse AIO
Several coats of Klasse SG

On light colors, there's nothing better! And it lasts a long time.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:57 AM   #42
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Bob View Post

This time of year I may just run it through the brushless wash untill I can properly detail it.
Not a bad plan at all.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:17 AM   #43
Celtic Bob is on a distinguished road
Celtic Bob's Tacoma Gallery
What do you guys use to clean and dress the black plastic bed?
Old 03-14-2010, 08:51 AM   #45
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It is already too slick and if you put anything on it it won't absorb like rubber so it would be super slick. Plus, I use mine like a truck so it would be futile to clean the plastic bed. The only treatment it gets is a leaf blower on occasion.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:56 AM   #46
Celtic Bob is on a distinguished road
Celtic Bob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
It is already too slick and if you put anything on it it won't absorb like rubber so it would be super slick. Plus, I use mine like a truck so it would be futile to clean the plastic bed. The only treatment it gets is a leaf blower on occasion.
Mine will be used as a truck as well but would like to give it one good clean and detail before I use it.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:59 AM   #47
SURFTACO will become famous soon enough

Name: Steve
SURFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly when I've done this in the past, I just used a little bit of soap,water and a scrub brush.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:05 AM   #48
BrianUNC is on a distinguished road
BrianUNC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Bob View Post
The Meguiar's tire gel, but it does make it slippery. Probably your best bet would be something like the 303 protectant.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:15 AM   #49
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SURFTACO View Post
Honestly when I've done this in the past, I just used a little bit of soap,water and a scrub brush.
I do something similar...a dump the soapy water bucket (after I'm done washing the truck) in the bed and use a broom to scrub the bed. I don't bother with the sides and I don't dress it.

I only do this occassionally. It is a truck, after all. Plus, any dressing might make my cargo slip and slide.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:49 PM   #50
ikonomore is on a distinguished road
ikonomore's Tacoma Gallery
This plan of not letting the dealer detail and you doing it sounds bad.
I could see if you had some experience and at least a porter cable but it seems like you are just buying your supplies.

You should let the dealer do it now or have a professional do it for you.
Going to a brushless car wash until later??
Old 03-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #51
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonomore View Post
This plan of not letting the dealer detail and you doing it sounds bad.
I could see if you had some experience and at least a porter cable but it seems like you are just buying your supplies.

You should let the dealer do it now or have a professional do it for you.
Going to a brushless car wash until later??
The professional detailer at an auto dealership is usually a 17 year old kid with a really dirty terry cloth towel. The last three cars I have bought I told the dealership not to wash the car.

Generally speaking washing a car at a dealership is an afterthought on the dealers part.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:47 PM   #52
ikonomore is on a distinguished road
ikonomore's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95SLE View Post
The professional detailer at an auto dealership is usually a 17 year old kid with a really dirty terry cloth towel. The last three cars I have bought I told the dealership not to wash the car.

Generally speaking washing a car at a dealership is an afterthought on the dealers part.
You probably had some detailing knowledge. It seems the OP does not. (i could be wrong). He should talk to the service manager about it, i was worried about my other car when i got it but i met the detailer and everything turned out fine.

When i say professional detailer, i mean some independent detailer not the dealership itself.

Take a look at this thread if you want to see detailing.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=81391
Old 03-18-2010, 07:33 PM   #53
Silver 10 has much to be proud ofSilver 10 has much to be proud ofSilver 10 has much to be proud ofSilver 10 has much to be proud ofSilver 10 has much to be proud ofSilver 10 has much to be proud ofSilver 10 has much to be proud ofSilver 10 has much to be proud of

Name: Joe
Silver 10's Tacoma Gallery
take a look at the first post in detailing by Mshu7, the man knows detailing and gives you advice on product and steps to take. I have used several products that he has recommended and they are wonderful. I used to detail when I was in high school and college and he just knows more than most and gives step by step instructions. I went with the meguires stuff and my truck looks better than the day I drove it off the lot. Luckily we had some good weather up here and weds I did about a five hour job on it. I feel like I could eat off the hood. If you have any questions he will answer them in timely manner and you can check his website and see his work. Just thought I would give you info if you hadnt already seen his post
Old 03-19-2010, 07:28 PM   #54
Azjohn is a splendid one to beholdAzjohn is a splendid one to beholdAzjohn is a splendid one to beholdAzjohn is a splendid one to beholdAzjohn is a splendid one to beholdAzjohn is a splendid one to behold
Marines: 4th force recon.
Name: John
Azjohn's Tacoma Gallery
Im a zonie had very good luck with areospace 303 protectant spf 40 product keeps vinyl plastics looking new, nice on tires too.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:45 PM   #55
Chapman is on a distinguished road
Chapman's Tacoma Gallery
I found this autogeek detail guide to be pretty helpful. The flow chart gives a good overview of the whole detailing steps. I took the 'neglected paint' route and my black Scion turned out pretty good. Took about 12 hours, but well worth it.