1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Detailing new Tacoma

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Celtic Bob, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Feb 21, 2010 at 1:10 AM
    Celtic Bob

Celtic Bob [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    If all goes well on Monday I will be ordering in a new 2010 Tacoma 4x4. I have specified to the dealer no dealer badge/sticker to be applied to the truck and no wash/detail as I will do it myself.
    My question is what is the best way to clean and protect the entire truck initially before use? I already have most of the Mothers products and I am about to order the Grit Guard formy buckets as well as the Dodo 'Wookie' Washmitt. Any reccomendations? I tried to order Griots Sealant but it cannot be shipped to Canada.
    Thanks in advance
    b.

2. Feb 21, 2010 at 1:21 AM
    ryhar85

ryhar85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    W. WA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD 3" lift
    3" Trailmaster lift, 18" rockstars blacked out, 275/65/18 sxt mud terrains, more to come.
    I can understand the no badge/stickers, but why no wash?

3. Feb 21, 2010 at 1:26 AM
    jmg256

jmg256 Calmer than you are

Member:
    First Name:
    Al Tonter
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    Bilstein 5100 front/rear (front at .85), Hayden 678 Trans Cooler, 20% tint, Curt Hitch/Wiring Harness, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats (Black), Wet Okole Seat Covers (Black), Cooper Discoverer ATP 265/75/16, LED Map/Dome lights, ImMrYo bracket, Debadged, Extang Tuff Tonno.
    to ensure the ftard pimple faced lot boy doesn't mar the new paint with a dirty wash mitt/dry towel?

4. Feb 21, 2010 at 1:29 AM
    Celtic Bob

Member:
    Exactly.
    The dealer wash bay is just younger guys with 1 bucket and a sponge from what i've seen. I do not want to take the chance with a new dark green tacoma.

5. Feb 21, 2010 at 1:32 AM
    Twiget

Twiget Proud to be Awesome

Member:
    America's Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    654, 6 Cylinders, 5 Speeds, 4 wheel drive
    Alpine Headunit, Soft Tonneau Cover, CAI
    'Cause there is no guarantee that the dealer wont screw up the paint when they wash it. I've heard horror stories about Chevy dealers (yeah, I know, a Chevy dealer, not a Toyota one) washing customer Corvette's with stiff bristle brushes that leave scratches in the clear coat.

As for your truck Bob, when I detail my vehicles I start with stripping all the wax off the paint with some Dawn dish washing detergent, then I use a clay bar to clean any impurities off the paint. From there, it is 5 or 6 coats of wax and polish. For towels, I recommend the micro-fiber ones from Griots. They are the best I have ever used. Also check out Zaino's stuff. They are pricey, but if a show car shine is what your after, I dont think there is anything better out there. Mother's is good shit too though.

Good luck and post some pics when your done!

6. Feb 21, 2010 at 1:39 AM
    Celtic Bob

Member:
    I've seen horror stories as well, myself included.
    I plan to wash the truck and protect it the best I can as soon as I get it. It isn't ordered yet and they figure it will take 4-5 weeks to get it delivered from the factory. I will look at the Griots towels as well, thanks.

7. Feb 21, 2010 at 3:08 AM
    1 big skeeter

1 big skeeter Active Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC LB 4X4
    Hey Bob,

My 2010 Timberland Mica DC 4 Dr 4X4 LB should be here mid-March.

I have the same concerns about the dealership screwin' the pooch, so to speak.

I use Zaino products exclusively on ALL my toys; 2004 F250 FX4, 2008 Mini Cooper S, 2006 Goldwing, 2007 Tailwind MC trailer, 2010 Buick LaCrosse, 2002 FatBoy.

As for clay barring my new Taco, I'm going to hand wash it first to see if there ARE any felt particles attached to the paint before I run the wax bar over it.

Twiget was correct about regular/plain Dawn; will strip whatever wax is on it off and clean it to the clear coat without damaging it.

Zaino is pretty work intensive the first time. But, after the initial coats, it's a simple matter of washing it with the Zaino car wash, drying it thoroughly with their borderfree towels, and polising the dry, cool surface with Zaino Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray.WOW!! Talk about the finish looking like you could fall in it.....
    www.zainostore.com

Not cheap but WELL worth the effort!!

Good luck with your Green Machine and let's see some pics!!

8. Feb 21, 2010 at 3:27 AM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    Welcome to TW. You have got to post pics of the truck I want to see the dark green. I had a 1994 reg cab... dark green and it really looked good, looked black. Looked good with the tinted windows.

9. Feb 21, 2010 at 3:34 AM
    Celtic Bob

Member:
    Would we need Dawn from the start or will a regular Car Wash like Mothers do?
    Never used or seen Zaino around here. I will look into that one as well.

10. Feb 21, 2010 at 8:19 AM
    Celtic Bob

Member:
    Mothers, Zaino, Meguirs, Griots, Dodo Juoce..........OYYYYY!! Too many choices.

11. Feb 21, 2010 at 8:42 AM
    Twiget

Twiget Proud to be Awesome

Member:
    America's Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    654, 6 Cylinders, 5 Speeds, 4 wheel drive
    Alpine Headunit, Soft Tonneau Cover, CAI
    Only use Dawn or some other dish washing detergent when you want to strip the wax from the paint. For regular washes, use a car wash detergent.

Here is a link to an article I wrote awhile back about how I detail my Corvette: Click

12. Feb 21, 2010 at 9:00 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    my dealer told me not to wax my new truck for a year? Do you think this is good advice or what?

13. Feb 21, 2010 at 9:06 AM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    No, I would say that's not good advice. Their reasoning is probably to let the paint cure, but by the time any new car gets to a dealer, the paint is plenty cured, so you should be fine. Waxing would be the first thing I would do with a new truck, personally.

14. Feb 21, 2010 at 9:15 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    The "Dawn Wash" was something zaino (who I've never been a fan of) recommended and now everyone suggests it as part of a full detail routine. Although Dawn is readily available in most houses, any citrus based detergent will do the trick to strip the old wax. Personally, I use either P21s Total Auto Wash and/or Chemical Guys Citrus Wash n Gloss. Like Twiget mentioned, Do NOT use Dawn on a regular basis. Once or twice wont hurt, but dont get in the habit or reaching for it.

For the initial detail, do a good wash, clay, mild polish or paint cleaner and either a sealant or wax. You could potentially do both a sealant and wax, but some have proposed that the distillates in the waxes will remove base layers, making it kinda counter productive. :shrug:

Anyway, on lighter colors (silver, white, etc) I like Sealants. On darker colors, I prefer carnauba waxes.
    Carnaubas generally wont be as durable and last about 5-6 weeks. Sealants, about 10+ weeks. Also, sealants tend to do better against pollutants, and carnauba better against stuff like bird shit.

Either way, dont get too wrapped up in brands. Most over the counter brands will have their good line and their basic/poor line. If you want an OTC brand, I'd personally stick to Meguiars for polishes/waxes/sealants. The only product from Mothers that I really ever liked was their Billet Metal/Alum Polish... and its awesome imo.

But when you get in to the online-only type brands (think Chemical Guys, Adams, Poorboys, DoDo, 4*, Menz, etc), you're in a higher quality league and its going to, for the most part, come down to what you personally prefer to use.

Check out E-Shine. They're in Canada and carry some boutique brand/products.

15. Feb 21, 2010 at 9:15 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    x2

16. Feb 21, 2010 at 9:28 AM
    Celtic Bob

Member:
    Thanks for the input. I will go read the article now Twiget.
    I was considering the following procedure for inital cleaning seeing I have the products here and gradually moving onto better ones like Dodo.

Wash
    Clay
    Seaer/Glaze/Carnuba Paste Wax (Mothers 3-Step)

Is there something I really need to add to this?

17. Feb 21, 2010 at 8:15 PM
    Chris(NJ)

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    You dont NEED to add anything to the detail. Its really only what you WANT to do. The only time I would say that you NEED to do something extra would be if you told me that you had to get rid of swirl marks or some specific defect and its resolution wasnt in your outlined procedure.
    Since you're just looking to give a good initial cleaning and layer of protection I think you'll be just fine using the products you mentioned. It'll get the truck clean and you'll feel good about it after spending some quality time w/ the truck :)

18. Feb 22, 2010 at 7:29 AM
    Gooch

Gooch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    That's horrible advice.

Factory paint is baked and you can wax (and should wax) right away.

19. Feb 22, 2010 at 7:31 AM
    Gooch

Gooch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    The downside to not letting them wash it is that you will not be able to do a good inspection on the paint when you pick it up. So, any minor dings or scratches may go unnoticed.

Once you wash it yourself, you will notice these things and then it will be too late.

20. Feb 22, 2010 at 8:01 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I actually prefer to take the vehicle home and wash it by hand to look for defects. I did this on my '09 and found a dent in the side of the bed and called the dealer soon afterward. They took care of the issue.

The ideal situation would be if you could hand wash the vehicle before you signed on the dotted line as a pre purchase inspection.

Products Discussed in

To Top