Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Detailing new Tacoma

Old 02-21-2010, 02:10 AM   #1
Celtic Bob is on a distinguished road
Celtic Bob's Tacoma Gallery
Question Detailing new Tacoma

If all goes well on Monday I will be ordering in a new 2010 Tacoma 4x4. I have specified to the dealer no dealer badge/sticker to be applied to the truck and no wash/detail as I will do it myself.
My question is what is the best way to clean and protect the entire truck initially before use? I already have most of the Mothers products and I am about to order the Grit Guard formy buckets as well as the Dodo 'Wookie' Washmitt. Any reccomendations? I tried to order Griots Sealant but it cannot be shipped to Canada.
Thanks in advance
b.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:21 AM   #2
ryhar85 is a splendid one to beholdryhar85 is a splendid one to beholdryhar85 is a splendid one to beholdryhar85 is a splendid one to beholdryhar85 is a splendid one to beholdryhar85 is a splendid one to beholdryhar85 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Ryan
ryhar85's Tacoma Gallery
I can understand the no badge/stickers, but why no wash?
Old 02-21-2010, 02:26 AM   #3
Calmer than you are
jmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Al Tonter
jmg256's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhar85 View Post
to ensure the ftard pimple faced lot boy doesn't mar the new paint with a dirty wash mitt/dry towel?
Old 02-21-2010, 02:29 AM   #4
Exactly.
The dealer wash bay is just younger guys with 1 bucket and a sponge from what i've seen. I do not want to take the chance with a new dark green tacoma.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:32 AM   #5
Proud to be Awesome
Twiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: U.S.S. San Jacinto (CG-56)
Twiget's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhar85 View Post
'Cause there is no guarantee that the dealer wont screw up the paint when they wash it. I've heard horror stories about Chevy dealers (yeah, I know, a Chevy dealer, not a Toyota one) washing customer Corvette's with stiff bristle brushes that leave scratches in the clear coat.

As for your truck Bob, when I detail my vehicles I start with stripping all the wax off the paint with some Dawn dish washing detergent, then I use a clay bar to clean any impurities off the paint. From there, it is 5 or 6 coats of wax and polish. For towels, I recommend the micro-fiber ones from Griots. They are the best I have ever used. Also check out Zaino's stuff. They are pricey, but if a show car shine is what your after, I dont think there is anything better out there. Mother's is good shit too though.

Good luck and post some pics when your done!
Old 02-21-2010, 02:39 AM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiget View Post
'Cause there is no guarantee that the dealer wont screw up the paint when they wash it. I've heard horror stories about Chevy dealers (yeah, I know, a Chevy dealer, not a Toyota one) washing customer Corvette's with stiff bristle brushes that leave scratches in the clear coat.

As for your truck Bob, when I detail my vehicles I start with stripping all the wax off the paint with some Dawn dish washing detergent, then I use a clay bar to clean any impurities off the paint. From there, it is 5 or 6 coats of wax and polish. For towels, I recommend the micro-fiber ones from Griots. They are the best I have ever used. Also check out Zaino's stuff. They are pricey, but if a show car shine is what your after, I dont think there is anything better out there. Mother's is good shit too though.

Good luck and post some pics when your done!
I've seen horror stories as well, myself included.
I plan to wash the truck and protect it the best I can as soon as I get it. It isn't ordered yet and they figure it will take 4-5 weeks to get it delivered from the factory. I will look at the Griots towels as well, thanks.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:08 AM   #7
1 big skeeter has a spectacular aura about1 big skeeter has a spectacular aura about

1 big skeeter's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Bob,

My 2010 Timberland Mica DC 4 Dr 4X4 LB should be here mid-March.

I have the same concerns about the dealership screwin' the pooch, so to speak.

I use Zaino products exclusively on ALL my toys; 2004 F250 FX4, 2008 Mini Cooper S, 2006 Goldwing, 2007 Tailwind MC trailer, 2010 Buick LaCrosse, 2002 FatBoy.

As for clay barring my new Taco, I'm going to hand wash it first to see if there ARE any felt particles attached to the paint before I run the wax bar over it.

Twiget was correct about regular/plain Dawn; will strip whatever wax is on it off and clean it to the clear coat without damaging it.

Zaino is pretty work intensive the first time. But, after the initial coats, it's a simple matter of washing it with the Zaino car wash, drying it thoroughly with their borderfree towels, and polising the dry, cool surface with Zaino Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray.WOW!! Talk about the finish looking like you could fall in it.....
www.zainostore.com

Not cheap but WELL worth the effort!!

Good luck with your Green Machine and let's see some pics!!
Old 02-21-2010, 04:34 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 big skeeter View Post
Hey Bob,

My 2010 Timberland Mica DC 4 Dr 4X4 LB should be here mid-March.

I have the same concerns about the dealership screwin' the pooch, so to speak.

I use Zaino products exclusively on ALL my toys; 2004 F250 FX4, 2008 Mini Cooper S, 2006 Goldwing, 2007 Tailwind MC trailer, 2010 Buick LaCrosse, 2002 FatBoy.

As for clay barring my new Taco, I'm going to hand wash it first to see if there ARE any felt particles attached to the paint before I run the wax bar over it.

Twiget was correct about regular/plain Dawn; will strip whatever wax is on it off and clean it to the clear coat without damaging it.

Zaino is pretty work intensive the first time. But, after the initial coats, it's a simple matter of washing it with the Zaino car wash, drying it thoroughly with their borderfree towels, and polising the dry, cool surface with Zaino Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray.WOW!! Talk about the finish looking like you could fall in it.....
www.zainostore.com

Not cheap but WELL worth the effort!!

Good luck with your Green Machine and let's see some pics!!
Would we need Dawn from the start or will a regular Car Wash like Mothers do?
Never used or seen Zaino around here. I will look into that one as well.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:19 AM   #10
Mothers, Zaino, Meguirs, Griots, Dodo Juoce..........OYYYYY!! Too many choices.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:42 AM   #11
Proud to be Awesome
Twiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: U.S.S. San Jacinto (CG-56)
Twiget's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Bob View Post
Only use Dawn or some other dish washing detergent when you want to strip the wax from the paint. For regular washes, use a car wash detergent.

Here is a link to an article I wrote awhile back about how I detail my Corvette: Click
Old 02-21-2010, 10:00 AM   #12
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
my dealer told me not to wax my new truck for a year? Do you think this is good advice or what?
Old 02-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #13
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
my dealer told me not to wax my new truck for a year? Do you think this is good advice or what?
No, I would say that's not good advice. Their reasoning is probably to let the paint cure, but by the time any new car gets to a dealer, the paint is plenty cured, so you should be fine. Waxing would be the first thing I would do with a new truck, personally.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:15 AM   #14
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The "Dawn Wash" was something zaino (who I've never been a fan of) recommended and now everyone suggests it as part of a full detail routine. Although Dawn is readily available in most houses, any citrus based detergent will do the trick to strip the old wax. Personally, I use either P21s Total Auto Wash and/or Chemical Guys Citrus Wash n Gloss. Like Twiget mentioned, Do NOT use Dawn on a regular basis. Once or twice wont hurt, but dont get in the habit or reaching for it.

For the initial detail, do a good wash, clay, mild polish or paint cleaner and either a sealant or wax. You could potentially do both a sealant and wax, but some have proposed that the distillates in the waxes will remove base layers, making it kinda counter productive. :shrug:

Anyway, on lighter colors (silver, white, etc) I like Sealants. On darker colors, I prefer carnauba waxes.
Carnaubas generally wont be as durable and last about 5-6 weeks. Sealants, about 10+ weeks. Also, sealants tend to do better against pollutants, and carnauba better against stuff like bird shit.

Either way, dont get too wrapped up in brands. Most over the counter brands will have their good line and their basic/poor line. If you want an OTC brand, I'd personally stick to Meguiars for polishes/waxes/sealants. The only product from Mothers that I really ever liked was their Billet Metal/Alum Polish... and its awesome imo.

But when you get in to the online-only type brands (think Chemical Guys, Adams, Poorboys, DoDo, 4*, Menz, etc), you're in a higher quality league and its going to, for the most part, come down to what you personally prefer to use.

Check out E-Shine. They're in Canada and carry some boutique brand/products.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:15 AM   #15
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB65stang View Post
No, I would say that's not good advice. Their reasoning is probably to let the paint cure, but by the time any new car gets to a dealer, the paint is plenty cured, so you should be fine. Waxing would be the first thing I would do with a new truck, personally.
x2
Old 02-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #16
Thanks for the input. I will go read the article now Twiget.
I was considering the following procedure for inital cleaning seeing I have the products here and gradually moving onto better ones like Dodo.

Wash
Clay
Seaer/Glaze/Carnuba Paste Wax (Mothers 3-Step)

Is there something I really need to add to this?
Old 02-21-2010, 09:15 PM   #17

Law Enforcement:
You dont NEED to add anything to the detail. Its really only what you WANT to do. The only time I would say that you NEED to do something extra would be if you told me that you had to get rid of swirl marks or some specific defect and its resolution wasnt in your outlined procedure.
Since you're just looking to give a good initial cleaning and layer of protection I think you'll be just fine using the products you mentioned. It'll get the truck clean and you'll feel good about it after spending some quality time w/ the truck
Old 02-22-2010, 08:29 AM   #18
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
That's horrible advice.

Factory paint is baked and you can wax (and should wax) right away.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:31 AM   #19
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If all goes well on Monday I will be ordering in a new 2010 Tacoma 4x4. I have specified to the dealer no dealer badge/sticker to be applied to the truck and no wash/detail as I will do it myself.
My question is what is the best way to clean and protect the entire truck initially before use? I already have most of the Mothers products and I am about to order the Grit Guard formy buckets as well as the Dodo 'Wookie' Washmitt. Any reccomendations? I tried to order Griots Sealant but it cannot be shipped to Canada.
Thanks in advance
b.
The downside to not letting them wash it is that you will not be able to do a good inspection on the paint when you pick it up. So, any minor dings or scratches may go unnoticed.

Once you wash it yourself, you will notice these things and then it will be too late.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:01 AM   #20
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The downside to not letting them wash it is that you will not be able to do a good inspection on the paint when you pick it up. So, any minor dings or scratches may go unnoticed.

Once you wash it yourself, you will notice these things and then it will be too late.
I actually prefer to take the vehicle home and wash it by hand to look for defects. I did this on my '09 and found a dent in the side of the bed and called the dealer soon afterward. They took care of the issue.

The ideal situation would be if you could hand wash the vehicle before you signed on the dotted line as a pre purchase inspection.