1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Painting Badges!!

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by VooDoo, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Mar 7, 2010 at 6:38 PM
    VooDoo

VooDoo [OP] More Cowbell!

Member:
    First Name:
    Carter Ivey
    Baton Rouge, LA/ Starkville, MS
    Vehicle:
    '06 DC LB PreRunner
    Hey fellas ive been doing some research and finally made the move to paint my badges. I followed another write up on TW and decided to do something similar to theirs (thanks RocketBall!!!) My experience painting the badges was fairly easy but it took a while to finish. My finished product of the tailgate photo isnt uploading right now :confused: but i will put it up soon.

What you will need:
    1 can of krylon fusion spray paint (i used black)
    1 roll of 3M double sided mounting tape
    some fishing line (i saw 20 lbs on the other write up but decided to use 50 lbs)
    1 can of goof off
    Sand paper (reallllly fine)
    Roll of blue painters tape
    A good bit of time

The process:

1. i cleaned the areas around the badges before doing anything. I used the blue painters tape as a guide for where to put the badges back on after i painted everything.

2. After i had the painters tape in place, i took all the badges off with the fishing line, using a back and forth motion. Some other write ups said to heat the badges up with a blow dryer and that is probably a good idea because my hands were killing me after i did this.

3. I sanded down all the badges a little bit to give the spray paint something to hold on to.

4. I gave the badges a bath in hot water and soap to try and get the gunk off the back of them but could not get most of it.

5. Painted the badges twice as a base waiting 10 minutes in between each coat. On the third paint i went a little heavier to make sure the whole badge was covered. While the badges were drying, i went back and got all the goo off the truck with the goof off.

6. After about an hour or so, i got the badges and using the tape cut out pieces that matched the back of the badges. This was probably the hardest part because it took about an hour.

7. Stick the badges on and be proud of your truck!! :D
    [​IMG]
    sorry forgot to put the sand paper!!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Mar 8, 2010 at 7:26 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Very nice, and thanks for the props. :D

For anyone else trying this, I would recommend putting the new tape on the badges before you paint.

Two pluses for this:

1. You minimize the risk of damaging the fresh paint while applying the tape.

2. When you paint the badges, you will also paint the exposed edge of the tape as well, making it less noticable.

3. Mar 9, 2010 at 6:55 PM
    Pope953

Pope953 That's a fact Jack!

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Pickup
    35% up front, 20% in the back window tint, 15" Mickey Thompson bullet hole wheels, with 31x10.5 Firestone Destination A/T tires. Glass Pack, High Flow Cat, S&B CAI, Custom Light Bar with 4 fog lights. 2 10" Rockford Fosgate P2 subs with 1000 watt Rockford Fosgate Amp, CB.
    I wish my truck had badges!! In my 93 model all they did was stickers back then. :pout: But when you debadge them is it hard to take them off???? And how hard are they to put back on??

4. Mar 9, 2010 at 7:39 PM
    VooDoo

VooDoo [OP] More Cowbell!

Member:
    First Name:
    Carter Ivey
    Baton Rouge, LA/ Starkville, MS
    Vehicle:
    '06 DC LB PreRunner
    it wasnt TOO hard but i made the bonehead move to not use a blow dryer to heat them up and make them easier to take off...but overall taking them off only took me about 20 minutes and a little muscle!! putting them back on was as simple as cutting out the tape and sticking them back on...hope that answers your question!

Products Discussed in

To Top