Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Removing Rust from chip??

Old 03-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Removing Rust from chip??

Ive searched guys but cant find much info. I got a couple chips that have rusted and need to get them fixed, but not sure the best way to remove the rust before doing touch-up paint.
Any help appreciated! thanks...

Oh and there about the size of a pee or pebble..
I aslso have a buch of narlly rock chips along my rocker panels I need to fix, theres a bunch!
Old 03-14-2010, 08:18 PM   #2
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
Dremel..
Old 03-14-2010, 08:22 PM   #3
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
SlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlurpeeBlueMetallic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb_crew View Post
Dremel..

X2... with as many chips as you have a pick would take WAY to long.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
well only 2 are rusted, and the others down the rocker panel, are just deep and not rusted.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:35 PM   #5

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
And what attachment would you use on the dremel?
Old 03-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #7

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Again.. Bump!

Which attachment for the dremel will work good but not effect the surrounding paint?
Old 03-28-2010, 04:38 PM   #8
DAMN GOOD DEAL!!
TRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kenny
TRDKenE's Tacoma Gallery
this will probably work and is a little easier to control then a dremel. I would just be afraid of using a dremel

http://yhst-13811118617756.stores.ya...mopradsap.html
Old 03-28-2010, 05:10 PM   #9
When I grow up I want to be just like Me
BRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BRP27's Tacoma Gallery
Yea, the above will work. But for the rusted ones try a sharp pointed pocket knife and dig as much rust as you can out of the chip. If there is rust left in the hole use OSPHO or Naval Jelly. Apply it in the hole with a tiny artists paint brush to apply into the hole not getting the brush wet enough to run onto the paint. Let it set per the instructions and touch up with paint.

I have dug the rust out of pin hole size places with an xacto knife. But your chips sound bigger and deeper and you may not be able to dig all the rust out. .
So use the OSPHO or Naval Jelly to treat the rust. Be careful with the OSPHO it is an acid and will not be good for the paint but it kills rust good.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:33 PM   #10

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Awsome! yeah the 2 that are rusted are pretty deep, and one has been there for quite awhile. So I know its ganna be a bitch to get the rust off. So Im thinking a dremel will work pretty good. But I will try the knife first. thanks!
Old 06-03-2010, 08:47 PM   #12
Trap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trap's Tacoma Gallery
Just scrape it out carefully with a dental pick.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:20 PM   #13

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
I got the rust out... I just used some light sand paper. And was careful not to damage the good paint. Got it touched up, but I still need to put aother couple coats on it.
Thanks for the tips and help guys..
Old 06-14-2010, 04:10 PM   #14
TacticalTaco is on a distinguished road
TacticalTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've got exactly the same issue, two stone chips that started to rust immediately. Really small like an 1/8 of an inch in diameter. I was thinking of using a solvent on there to get the rust out like Hoppe's #9 or something, it gets rust off guns no problem. Then I can use some touch up paint on them. I'm a little worried about the solvent getting under the good paint though. At the dealership they told me to use a wire brush, but that would be impossible without marring the good paint.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:45 PM   #15

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
for smaller holes I think a dremel would workk better. mine was big enough to use a corner of sand paper.