1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake Debris Stuck To Paint

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by woodland 01, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Mar 20, 2010 at 5:59 PM
    woodland 01

woodland 01 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    10 Double Cab Sport Package
    Greetings from Canada. I have a white 2010 Doublecab. I have noticed that there is minute rust spots forming in the clearcoat. I think that this is caused from hot brake debris melting into it. The doors, box sides, and tailgate are all marked. Is there a solution to fix this? I own four other white vehicles and have this problem on all of them but, the tacoma is worse in 20 000kms than other Fords with 300 000kms. Any help would be apperciated. Thanks.

2. Mar 20, 2010 at 6:01 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    try clay baring it to get the imperfections out. but idk about preventing it

3. Mar 20, 2010 at 7:16 PM
    Silver_Taco

Silver_Taco Senior Member

Member:
    Frederick, MD

X2 - took a clay bar to the taco and the jeep today - makes a major difference. Not only does it look like new paint but all those little rust spots rub right out.

best way to protect would be a couple good coats of wax I guess... and then clay bar every six months or once a year. Hope it helps.

4. Mar 21, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    wmb67

wmb67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    09 Dbl Cab Off Road MGM
    x3 > Clay bar. Sounds like rail dust/metal contamination also. You could also take it further bye using a "paint decontamination system". I think Auto-Int is the name of the company and you can find some info about it on Google or autopia.org(which is a detaling website).

What is rusting in your clear coat are small slivers/chunks of metal. The process of claying shears the above surface sliver, but leaves some pieces below the surface. So you would clay first then follow with the decon system.

Basically the decon kit is a 2 or 3 step mild acid wash. After your claying has sheared off the above surface sliver and left the below surface sliver exposed, you wash your truck with a couple different solutions in the kit.

The acids in the solutions disolve the slivers imbeded in your clear coat, then you finish with a ph-neutral shampoo as the last step.

I have not used this decon kit, but have read a fair amount about it and it seems very simple and easy to do.

I can't remember the cost, but I want to say ~ $60-80.

This may be a good solution for you, since white, silver and other light colors show the rust blooms more than darker colors.

Also, maybe ceramic brake pads would help keep the metal slivers to a minimum.

Good luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top