LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Ask a Detailer

Old 04-24-2008, 06:21 PM   #1
Resident Detailer
mShu7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmShu7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmShu7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmShu7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmShu7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmShu7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmShu7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmShu7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmShu7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmShu7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmShu7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mShu7's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb Ask a Detailer

Hey guys, I've been a member of this forum since last summer when I got my new Taco but haven't posted much.

Anyway, detailing has been a hobby of mine since I was in high school. A few years ago, I got back into it pretty heavily. So heavily, I decided to start my own mobile auto detailing business. Fortunately, last fall I was able to quit my IT job that I had held for over 8 years and start my business full time.

I've spent more hours than I want to admit frequenting the most popular detailing boards as well as serving as the "resident detailer" for a Mazda3 forum. On that forum in particular, there is an "Ask a Detailer" thread dedicated to, what else, detailing questions. I think it's over 90 pages long today.

Since it was decided to have a "Detailing" sub-forum, it may be nice to have a similar thread here. I could start the thread with some basic info to help everyone get started. With spring/summer being my busy season, I can't spend as much time as I'd like on all my detailing boards, but I will try to help out whenever possible on here.

Anyway, just a thought. If not, I'll still try to help out here as much as I can.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mShu7 View Post
Hey guys, I've been a member of this forum since last summer when I got my new Taco but haven't posted much.

Anyway, detailing has been a hobby of mine since I was in high school. A few years ago, I got back into it pretty heavily. So heavily, I decided to start my own mobile auto detailing business. Fortunately, last fall I was able to quit my IT job that I had held for over 8 years and start my business full time.

I've spent more hours than I want to admit frequenting the most popular detailing boards as well as serving as the "resident detailer" for a Mazda3 forum. On that forum in particular, there is an "Ask a Detailer" thread dedicated to, what else, detailing questions. I think it's over 90 pages long today.

Since it was decided to have a "Detailing" sub-forum, it may be nice to have a similar thread here. I could start the thread with some basic info to help everyone get started. With spring/summer being my busy season, I can't spend as much time as I'd like on all my detailing boards, but I will try to help out whenever possible on here.

Anyway, just a thought. If not, I'll still try to help out here as much as I can.
sounds like a pretty good idea to me!!!
Old 04-24-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
sounds like a pretty good idea to me!!!
For me too... and your contribution will be very welcome by all of us here.....Thanks
Old 04-24-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
Resident Detailer
mShu7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmShu7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmShu7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmShu7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmShu7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmShu7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmShu7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmShu7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmShu7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmShu7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmShu7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mShu7's Tacoma Gallery
I'll try to start working on some information to post on washing, claying, polishing, waxing, etc. Give me a few days. I'm going to be out of town this weekend.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:52 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance Costal Div
2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of

2003greenbean's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'll try to start working on some information to post on washing, claying, polishing, waxing, etc. Give me a few days. I'm going to be out of town this weekend.
sounds great
Old 04-24-2008, 07:33 PM   #6
Stealer of Souls
Charli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck?
Charli's Tacoma Gallery
Very Cool! Thank you!
Old 04-24-2008, 07:45 PM   #7
missileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
missileman125fw's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you for your input. It will be appreciated!
Old 04-26-2008, 06:27 PM   #8
misfitiii is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Senior Airman
misfitiii's Tacoma Gallery
That's a terrific idea.

mShu7, do you see any advice or previous posts in this topic of the forums that you wouldn't agree with?

I have been interesting in doing some detailing to my new 08 Prerunner and would like to know where a beginner like me, on sort of a budget, could start. Is there a "detailing kit" (one package or wax, shammys, towels, cleaner...) that I can get at Advanced, AutoZone, Wal-Mart, Target, etc?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:42 AM   #9
Resident Detailer

mShu7's Tacoma Gallery
misfitiii - I've not really had a chance to look through the other threads b/c I've been pretty busy lately. When I start my thread though, I'll be sure to include over the counter product recommendations as well as boutique product recommendations.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:14 AM   #10
Zoom-Zoom
gdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud of

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats on your new business! So when do I get my complimentary detailing done? Looking forward to hearing what you have to say about keeping my Taco looking great.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:28 AM   #11
Resident Detailer

mShu7's Tacoma Gallery
gdawg25 - Thanks! If you want to drive down here to Indiana, I'll help ya out .
Old 04-29-2008, 09:28 AM   #12
nagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 173rd Airborne, Pathfinder, MACV
Name: George
nagelg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to nagelg
Great idea, I know I could certainly use some info on the "how-to"s of detailing.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:09 AM   #13
Old Goat
Don G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st MAW  MAG12  VMA-251,  (1953)
Don G's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Good Idea Mike! !! That sure will give some professional class to this Forum Good luck with your new business! ! Hell if we can't afford gas for them they might as well look good all the time
Old 04-29-2008, 10:15 AM   #14
Old Goat
Don G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st MAW  MAG12  VMA-251,  (1953)
Don G's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Great Idea Mike! ! ! Good luck with your new business, you may just give some class to this Forum Hell if we can't afford gas for these things they might as well look good all the time! !!
Old 04-30-2008, 09:10 AM   #15
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Question Need advice...

I am having an issue with my truck. I Went off roading with some of the guys from TW over in Uwharrie. A couple days later, after washing all the mud off, I noticed that along with that nice speedway blue shine, I also have a bunch of smear marks exactly in the spots where the mud splats were. Doors, hood, roof etc.

Tacomaman06 informed me about that clay like mud and suggested I us some quick detail solution. I got ahold of some Maguires Quick Detailer, but no change. It worked good on some bird crap I found on the fender, but these marks wont go away.

I never heard of going through mud and mud tarnishing your paint where it lands.

What would you or anyone suggest???

And by the way, thanks Will, I gave it a shot, but now it's back to the drawing board on this one...
Old 04-30-2008, 09:51 AM   #16
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxspin72 View Post
I am having an issue with my truck. I Went off roading with some of the guys from TW over in Uwharrie. A couple days later, after washing all the mud off, I noticed that along with that nice speedway blue shine, I also have a bunch of smear marks exactly in the spots where the mud splats were. Doors, hood, roof etc.

Tacomaman06 informed me about that clay like mud and suggested I us some quick detail solution. I got ahold of some Maguires Quick Detailer, but no change. It worked good on some bird crap I found on the fender, but these marks wont go away.

I never heard of going through mud and mud tarnishing your paint where it lands.

And by the way, thanks Will, I gave it a shot, but now it's back to the drawing board on this one...
Get some automotive clay bar that you can get at any major autoparts store. Follow the directions on the box and it should take care of that stuff for you, good luck!
Old 04-30-2008, 02:04 PM   #17
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxspin72 View Post

nothing left but to claybar now bro. i know that will do the trick. then you gotta polish and wax...in that order. it will take care of the problem you are having with the mud stains on the paint.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:20 PM   #18
Come on, Touch it......
ChrisDeSoup will become famous soon enough

ChrisDeSoup's Tacoma Gallery
Mr. Clean

Hey there mshu7, What do you think about the Mr Clean no dry system? I have been using it but I still dry my Taco after... Would you reccomend that product to a fat & lazy Taco owner who would rather switch to lite beer than do sit-ups?

I lost 5lb's last week and the only thing I did diff was to wash and dry my truck myself (usually go to the carwash)!!!!!
Old 04-30-2008, 04:49 PM   #19
Resident Detailer

mShu7's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Chris, I used the Mr. Clean system when it first came out. I think I ended up throwing it in the trash after I ran out of soap.

If you want an easy car wash, check out Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine (ONR for short). You'll only need about 2 gallons of water to wash your truck. Because you don't have to get out the hose and be constantly rinsing, it saves a lot of time and water. Plus, it doesn't scratch the paint. Best of all, it leaves a small layer of polymer protection behind.

ONR: http://ecocarcare.net/no-rinse-wash-shine.php
My quick ONR demo video from a few months ago:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vR8z8boxPXw

Alright guys, I'm going to try and work on some "how to" stuff this weekend for this forum. Sorry it's taken me so long. Spring weather is keeping me busy!
Old 04-30-2008, 05:40 PM   #20
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! what kind of towel or garment used for wash/dry?