Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

cleaning windows

Old 05-03-2010, 09:30 PM   #22
as in Gobias some coffee
gobias will become famous soon enoughgobias will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
gobias's Tacoma Gallery
Invisible Glass + newspaper works great.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:28 AM   #23
H82WRK is on a distinguished road
Name: Rachael
H82WRK's Tacoma Gallery
I used to use Stoner's Invisible glass, works great, a little $.

I now use that Sprayway that Snipe posted, you can buy it at Sam's 4 bottles for $7 bucks, great deal! It also works really well for ceramic cooktops and cleaning off my chrome pieces.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:35 AM   #24
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Isn't there a special way you're supposed to clean windows with tint on them? I seem to remember from advice I rec'd a long time ago that regular window cleaner isn't good for tint.

On topic: The Armor All window cleaners have worked well for me in the past. I never buy them myself (b/c spending my money on that kind of thing seems like a waste to me), but I've rec'd them in 'car kits' as gifts and such.

EDIT: I went back and read more posts and saw that somebody uses vinegar b/c of the tint. Is there any window-cleaning product that people suggest? Is it just that the product has to be amonia-free? I seem to think I remember that.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:01 AM   #25
Rebecca and Willow's Opa
Fireguy67 will become famous soon enoughFireguy67 will become famous soon enough

Name: Klaus
Fireguy67's Tacoma Gallery
For the outside , if you have those annoying water spots that don't seem to come off with anything try the Mr. Clean Magic eraser- works great for me- but only on the outside. I think it may damage the inside tint if you have it.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:07 AM   #26
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
If you have bad etched water spots on your in windows, I suggest Spot-X from Home Depot. As far as cleaning the windows for everyday usage, I used Invisible Glass and a micro fiber cloth.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:25 AM   #27
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
You can also try steel wool and water.
If you go this route, and it does work, use only 0000 steel wool. Any type of coarser steel wool will scratch the window.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #28
Time to get dirty!
monoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dave
monoman's Tacoma Gallery
Gotta love Rain-X. Best stuff since sliced bread! Windows stay cleaner, longer. Hell, even when it rains, it's rare when my wipers are used.....
Old 06-03-2010, 01:58 PM   #29
Time to get dirty!
monoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dave
monoman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsaechao View Post
If you have bad etched water spots on your in windows, I suggest Spot-X from Home Depot. As far as cleaning the windows for everyday usage, I used Invisible Glass and a micro fiber cloth.
Good stuff! I had really bad water spots when I first got my truck. That stuff works really nice.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #30
Big Member
Snake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Snake~'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
I use this, it works great, contains no ammonia and smells good.

get it at Home Depot or many drugstores

+1
I used to use Invisible Glass, but ^ that stuff is cheaper and works just as well
Old 06-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #31
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~ View Post
+1
I used to use Invisible Glass, but ^ that stuff is cheaper and works just as well
+2 (or x2? I suck at math). Works great for general cleaning, and cheap. Use with a microfiber cloth. Home Despot has it. Not sure how well it works for spot removal.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:44 PM   #32
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
I'm super anal about my windows! Stoner's Invisible Glass and a 100% cotton baby blanket is what I use. When I wash the baby blanket I use very little detergent and no fabric softener or dryer sheets. Fabric softener and dryer sheets cause smearing.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:49 PM   #33
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed...I need to get these damn water spots off.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:53 PM   #34
function > form
747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

747's Tacoma Gallery
distilled water and a terry cloth
Old 06-28-2010, 06:55 PM   #35
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
SlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlurpeeBlueMetallic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireguy67 View Post
For the outside , if you have those annoying water spots that don't seem to come off with anything try the Mr. Clean Magic eraser- works great for me- but only on the outside. I think it may damage the inside tint if you have it.

This.

Magic Erasers are great for getting really stubborn spots off glass. I used them when I lived in San Antonio... water there was basically dissolved chalk and put spots on anything. They get glass as clean as I've ever felt it, although there is some of the Eraser itself that gets rubbed off in the process. Afterward I use Invisible Glass and newspaper.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:57 PM   #36
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
What's the deal with newspaper? Does it really work better than paper towels or a microfiber cloth?
Old 06-28-2010, 07:03 PM   #37
Boilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really nice

Name: Brian
Boilerman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaCougr View Post
The inside of the windshield is particularly difficult...don't know what that haze is but it's tough to remove.
The worst involves outgassing, which is not quite as vulgar as it sounds but is certainly a headache in the short term and destructive in the long run.
Car owners can see the results of outgassing on their windshield, particularly during the type of hot weather we've had lately. The outgassing forms a waxy film on the inside glass that distorts their visibility and is difficult to remove. They can also smell outgassing, which is part of the new car aroma.
Dashboards are generally made of polyvinyl chloride, that miracle plastic that was invented in the early 1920s and is now used in everything from water pipes to shower curtains. Unlike most materials, PVC can be rock hard or as flexible as cloth.
The way scientists do that is by adding plasticizers to the PVC, according to Shelby F. Thames, professor of polymer science and president of the University of Southern Mississippi. The plasticizers make the vinyl dashboard soft and allow manufacturers to shape it.
The problem comes as soon as the car is driven out of the factory and into the sunlight.
"Under intense heat and sunlight, there is a slight vaporization of those plasticizers," Thames explained. "It would take years and years to lose the plasticizer at room temperature. But the rays of the sun are magnified as they go through the windshield, and the dashboard can get extremely hot, particularly on hot days like we have here in southern Mississippi."
Of course, it gets toasty in Southern California as well. Plus the intense year-round sunlight here makes outgassing a persistent problem. In the high summer, dashboards can reach 200 degrees. As the plasticizers vaporize over years in the sun, the dashboard gets brittle. Eventually it will crack, exposing the foam core underneath and instantly reducing a car to clunker status.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:35 AM   #38
Turdburglar is a glorious beacon of lightTurdburglar is a glorious beacon of lightTurdburglar is a glorious beacon of lightTurdburglar is a glorious beacon of lightTurdburglar is a glorious beacon of light
Turdburglar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFalk View Post
What's the deal with newspaper? Does it really work better than paper towels or a microfiber cloth?
Newspaper absolutely works better than paper towels, I don't personally know about it beating microfiber though. Try it, works great!
Old 06-29-2010, 04:58 AM   #39
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery

I will have to try the newspaper. These guys just don't cut it.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:11 PM   #40
Oh yeah!
rb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
If your windows are real bad, use a MF and glass cleaner to get the bulk off. Use newspaper to finish the window. If the window is not that bad, newspaper is all you need. The problem when cleaning windows is that after one swipe on a side, you have dirt on it. Continue to use that side and you smear dirt back all over the window. Hence the streaks. Always use a clean side and you will be good to go.