LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

cleaning windows

Old 08-08-2010, 12:26 AM   #41
Taco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Helo nighttime recon extended perimeter security
Name: David
Taco4x4NC's Tacoma Gallery
glass cleaner

X2, great stuff for glass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pd3 View Post
X1000 best stuff ever!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #42
elchimpo is on a distinguished road
Name: Gustavo
elchimpo's Tacoma Gallery
i use a waffle weave micro fiber towel works wonder for streaks
Old 04-22-2011, 09:45 PM   #43
krudawg has a spectacular aura aboutkrudawg has a spectacular aura aboutkrudawg has a spectacular aura about
Marines: 9th Marines
Name: Ted
krudawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerman View Post
The worst involves outgassing, which is not quite as vulgar as it sounds but is certainly a headache in the short term and destructive in the long run.
Car owners can see the results of outgassing on their windshield, particularly during the type of hot weather we've had lately. The outgassing forms a waxy film on the inside glass that distorts their visibility and is difficult to remove. They can also smell outgassing, which is part of the new car aroma.
Dashboards are generally made of polyvinyl chloride, that miracle plastic that was invented in the early 1920s and is now used in everything from water pipes to shower curtains. Unlike most materials, PVC can be rock hard or as flexible as cloth.
The way scientists do that is by adding plasticizers to the PVC, according to Shelby F. Thames, professor of polymer science and president of the University of Southern Mississippi. The plasticizers make the vinyl dashboard soft and allow manufacturers to shape it.
The problem comes as soon as the car is driven out of the factory and into the sunlight.
"Under intense heat and sunlight, there is a slight vaporization of those plasticizers," Thames explained. "It would take years and years to lose the plasticizer at room temperature. But the rays of the sun are magnified as they go through the windshield, and the dashboard can get extremely hot, particularly on hot days like we have here in southern Mississippi."
Of course, it gets toasty in Southern California as well. Plus the intense year-round sunlight here makes outgassing a persistent problem. In the high summer, dashboards can reach 200 degrees. As the plasticizers vaporize over years in the sun, the dashboard gets brittle. Eventually it will crack, exposing the foam core underneath and instantly reducing a car to clunker status.
So, what can you do to protect your dash??? Besides covering it, that is
Old 04-22-2011, 09:46 PM   #44
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Newspaper and Invisible Glass is what I use.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:01 PM   #45
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
vinegar water
Old 04-26-2011, 07:33 AM   #46
tootall is one of the sharper tools in the shedtootall is one of the sharper tools in the shedtootall is one of the sharper tools in the shedtootall is one of the sharper tools in the shedtootall is one of the sharper tools in the shedtootall is one of the sharper tools in the shedtootall is one of the sharper tools in the shedtootall is one of the sharper tools in the shedtootall is one of the sharper tools in the shedtootall is one of the sharper tools in the shedtootall is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Todd
tootall's Tacoma Gallery
Stoner Invisible glass FTW! I finally have a streak free inner windshield!
Old 10-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #47
Sargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to all

Law Enforcement: Sgt. L.A. Sheriff, (Ret.)
Sargechris's Tacoma Gallery
Question Glass you Can't Reach???

Ummm.. I am puzzled... Anyone that has a truck cap with sliding side windows: how the heck do you get to the inside part of the sliding window that never "exits" from behind the screen??

It drives me nuts--I will have a totally clean window except for that last 3 inches or so--and no way to get to it!

I tried lifting out the window (no way).. I tried squeezing a rag between the screen and the glass (too tight--don't want to damage the screen)...

Wow--this is my BIG issue of the day (things must be going well)
Old 10-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #48
Rail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to behold
Rail's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mws4ua View Post
Isn't there a special way you're supposed to clean windows with tint on them? I seem to remember from advice I rec'd a long time ago that regular window cleaner isn't good for tint.

On topic: The Armor All window cleaners have worked well for me in the past. I never buy them myself (b/c spending my money on that kind of thing seems like a waste to me), but I've rec'd them in 'car kits' as gifts and such.

EDIT: I went back and read more posts and saw that somebody uses vinegar b/c of the tint. Is there any window-cleaning product that people suggest? Is it just that the product has to be amonia-free? I seem to think I remember that.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/det...s-cleaner.html
Old 10-31-2012, 09:04 AM   #49
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Holy thread-revival!

Thanks for the answer two years later, too! Glad somebody's looking into questions from WAY back!
Old 10-31-2012, 09:06 AM   #50
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargechris View Post
Wow--this is my BIG issue of the day (things must be going well)
Yeah. First World Problems, huh?

Don't have any advice, though. Good luck.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #51
fyremanpat is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: CFD
Name: Pat
fyremanpat's Tacoma Gallery
Ive used invisible glass for years and it was ok. Got a can of sprayaway yesterday to try it out..and it is SOOOO much better than invisible glass. Seriously go get a can and try it
Old 11-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #52
Rail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to behold
Rail's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyremanpat View Post
Ive used invisible glass for years and it was ok. Got a can of sprayaway yesterday to try it out..and it is SOOOO much better than invisible glass. Seriously go get a can and try it
X2
Old 11-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #53
Sargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to all

I'm sure it's great stuff.. but no matter how good it is, it won't do me any good unless I can get to the glass!! Any Ideas??
Old 12-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #54

My question (again): anyone had any luck finding a way to clean the little portion of a sliding window on a truck cap that stays behind the window screen?

It bugs me that only 95% of the window can be cleaned...

But maybe I'm too easily bothered...
Old 02-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #55
Usmcsantosj is a splendid one to beholdUsmcsantosj is a splendid one to beholdUsmcsantosj is a splendid one to beholdUsmcsantosj is a splendid one to beholdUsmcsantosj is a splendid one to beholdUsmcsantosj is a splendid one to beholdUsmcsantosj is a splendid one to behold

Marines:
Name: Jovani
Usmcsantosj's Tacoma Gallery
Stoner Invisible Glass X1000