Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Window Tint PRICE too high?

Old 03-29-2010, 10:01 PM   #21
Waking the Dead is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaking the Dead is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaking the Dead is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaking the Dead is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaking the Dead is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaking the Dead is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaking the Dead is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaking the Dead is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaking the Dead is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaking the Dead is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaking the Dead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Waking the Dead's Tacoma Gallery
My new truck had the nano heat rejection window tint that I think was installed by the dealer.
Front 2 windows $299 on invoice.

If you go slightly darker than what your state law allows won't they catch you at inspection.
They check for that here in NC.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:15 PM   #22
JESSMAN is a splendid one to beholdJESSMAN is a splendid one to beholdJESSMAN is a splendid one to beholdJESSMAN is a splendid one to beholdJESSMAN is a splendid one to beholdJESSMAN is a splendid one to beholdJESSMAN is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
JESSMAN's Tacoma Gallery
yes a little to much! in Reno $50 for the 2 front windos!!
Old 03-29-2010, 10:18 PM   #23
Tacotronn
TacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
TacoTron's Tacoma Gallery
I just tinted the front the same as the back for only 50 bucks if your not going dark it should be cheaper but with that price is just ridiculous man.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #24
2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future
Name: Daniel
2gtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I got my access cab fully tinted for 109 and it has lasted. i got my old hatch tented from the same place too and it lasted until it got stolen lol and they did a great install.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:53 PM   #25
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
I'll put it this way:

When I had my tint done, I checked out the shop like crazy. Then I just asked when they could do it. The guy was giving me a quote before I left and I said "As long as you do it right, I don't care what the price is."

Be willing to pay extra for good work. It will pay benefits down the line.

FWIW, I had my double cab front windows matched to the rear privacy glass for $70 installed (I paid $90 for the fine workmanship and their willingness to work me in on my tight schedule). I could easily see $265 for the whole way around except the windshield because the rear window would be a pain in the ass to do correctly (panel removal to keep the weatherstripping from getting wet).

Can you probably do better? Yeah. But I'd rather have it done well and expensive than ok and inexpensive.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:27 PM   #26
Kmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
Kmoney's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
I'll put it this way:

When I had my tint done, I checked out the shop like crazy. Then I just asked when they could do it. The guy was giving me a quote before I left and I said "As long as you do it right, I don't care what the price is."

Be willing to pay extra for good work. It will pay benefits down the line.

FWIW, I had my double cab front windows matched to the rear privacy glass for $70 installed (I paid $90 for the fine workmanship and their willingness to work me in on my tight schedule). I could easily see $265 for the whole way around except the windshield because the rear window would be a pain in the ass to do correctly (panel removal to keep the weatherstripping from getting wet).

Can you probably do better? Yeah. But I'd rather have it done well and expensive than ok and inexpensive.
Wise. I'm shopping around. I don't want to meet in the middle, but 250+ is a little more than i want to pay, but quality is what I'm primarily concerned about.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:34 PM   #27
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waking the Dead View Post
If you go slightly darker than what your state law allows won't they catch you at inspection.

There are ways around that. Just talk to some of the mechanics that have been in your town for a good while (10+ years) and get a recommendation on where you can get your truck inspected by someone who might just happen to misread the meter.

It's a good idea to tip someone who does a good inspection job. If you get my drift.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:43 PM   #28
Tom Cecc is on a distinguished road
Tom Cecc's Tacoma Gallery
Just paid $175 for 3M tint on my 2010 DC
Old 04-23-2010, 07:12 AM   #29
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Sooooo much ignorance in this thread. Sad to see everyone just looking for lowest price.

You can expect to pay $70 to about $500 or all windows and either would be a decent price. You cant just say 3M or Llumar either. Thats like saying Ford or Dodge. Is a Ford better than Dodge? Is a Festiva better than a Ram? Is a GT40 better than a Caravan? Is $40,000 a good price on a Dodge? What... Dodge a Viper or a Dodge Caliber?

There are 3 main types of film.

The first is dye based films. These are the cheapest. They have the worst heat rejection and fade or turn purple the fastest. You can do an entire car with cheap dye based film for $70. Its thin and easy to apply and heat shrinks well. It makes install easy if its decent tint film. 3M has great dye based films if more expensive than the competition.

Second are metallic films. These offer superior heat rejection, longer life and resistance to fading etc vs dye based films. $150-250 for a decent metalic film is not a horrible price for a whole car. Llumar has some excellent metallic films.

Third are ceramic films. These are the most expensive. They offer the best heat rejection, they dont suffer radio inerferance problems as much as most metallic films. They also have low reflectance if you want that. They will never, ever fade. Some are on super thick and hard to form sheeting and very hard to work with. Huper Optik DREI is one of the very best and most expensive of the ceramic films. There are lower grades of Huper Optik though and I dont reccomend the lower grade Ceramic Hupers for the money. Llumar is slightly below average. 3M does not have the ceramic technology to compete yet. The best film is NEVER 3M for this reason... even if they have EXCELLENT dye base films!

So its not just price to tint a car or even what brand or even what technology... its about the SPECIFIC film used and the quality of the installer. Huper Optik DREI is probably the hardest tint to apply, its the most expensive and one of the top 2 or 3 in performance if not the very best. A local tinter has a computerised cutting machine and EXCELLENT installer. Its $500 for an entire car and thats a fairly average price for Huper DREI tint.

Better tints cost more. Better installers cost more. What do you want? Tint that rejects the most heat and lasts forever with perfect cut edges or one that lasts 2-3 years and has to be replaced and has mediocre heat performance and uneven distances on some windows? I have had super cheap $50 for an entire SUV dyed film... it turned puple in less than 2 years, the back window was done in 2 pieces instead of 1, formed a bubble at 2 yeears, etc. I have paid $500 for a G35 done with Huper Optik DREI and the rear glass in one piece with a flawless install and tint super close to the edges. It looked as good after 4 years as the day it was installed. It was impossible to feel the suns heat through the glass.

Its all about what you want in your tint and what your budget is. I may go with Madico cermic MAC3000 this time around... its over 10% less total thermal rejection than Huper Optik DREI but $100 less expensive.

Research what EXACT film you want, not just brand, not just class within a brand, but the EXACT film you want. Get a top 5 tints and go price shopping. Be willing to travel to get the tint you want if it is high end and be willing to pay for a good installer with an excellent warranty. Also, as with ANY custom purchase talk to the INSTALLER to see who is good, not the salesman. The salesman is just there to haggle price. You can ALWAYS haggle price.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:13 AM   #30
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My new truck had the nano heat rejection window tint that I think was installed by the dealer.

Depending on whose film thats not higher than any other dealer add on mark up. It probabaly cost $150 at a tint shop for those 2 windows.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #31
WiselyAD is on a distinguished road
Navy: SCPO
WiselyAD's Tacoma Gallery
Tint Price

I got my Truck done 20% on back and rear doors and 35% on Drivers side and passenger. 150.00 for all. If you are asking for darker than legal limit that is whay he is asking a higher price.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:10 AM   #32
Kmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
Kmoney's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks to everyone for your input. Especially to DevL for the great info, though I don't think anyone's personal opinion merits "ignorance." Tint is something I have little to no experience with, so again, thanks to all.

I'll be shopping around and making sure I get a quality product and quality work done-- I don't want to have to fix something I could have gotten right the first time. I don't mind paying for quality and assurance.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:40 PM   #33
biggame is on a distinguished road

biggame's Tacoma Gallery
yeah i went to formula one to get llumar tint and they quoted me 260 for all my windows with rear sliding glass theres not too many places else for me to look but i do want quality but i dont want to pay so dang much.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #34
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
My girlfriend just got all the windows on her 4runner tinted with quality film for 165. Its just under 20% too so it looks good and keeps the heat out. Small shop. Good work.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:41 PM   #35
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter pilot still serving
rme's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmoney View Post
Hey guys,

Hopefully this hasn't been beaten to death TOO much...

But I called a local tint shop that uses a film (Llumar) that I've heard good things about. This guy will also tint slightly more than what our state law allows...

However, for back window and all four door windows, he's asking $265.00

Is this reasonable? This being a small town, he's really my only option without traveling to Denver...

What do y'all think?

Oh, and as always, THANKS
$265 is the same price they charge in Savannah Ga. I think its to high. I'm in the process now of shopping around. I refuse to be screwed over like this. Shop other tint companies as well. I'm looking at Windcos as well. Anybody got any ideas on a shop around temple tx, tulsa okla or Savannah Ga.?
Old 06-04-2010, 05:43 PM   #36
#1 Member
Tacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud of

Name: Hunter
Tacofanatic05''s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Well it helps to no someone where you get your truck inspected. I have 20% on my truck and although our tint law here in NC is 35%, many people have said that i wont have a problem at all getting mine inspected.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:52 PM   #38
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter pilot still serving
rme's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
Sooooo much ignorance in this thread. Sad to see everyone just looking for lowest price.

You can expect to pay $70 to about $500 or all windows and either would be a decent price. You cant just say 3M or Llumar either. Thats like saying Ford or Dodge. Is a Ford better than Dodge? Is a Festiva better than a Ram? Is a GT40 better than a Caravan? Is $40,000 a good price on a Dodge? What... Dodge a Viper or a Dodge Caliber?

There are 3 main types of film.

The first is dye based films. These are the cheapest. They have the worst heat rejection and fade or turn purple the fastest. You can do an entire car with cheap dye based film for $70. Its thin and easy to apply and heat shrinks well. It makes install easy if its decent tint film. 3M has great dye based films if more expensive than the competition.

Second are metallic films. These offer superior heat rejection, longer life and resistance to fading etc vs dye based films. $150-250 for a decent metalic film is not a horrible price for a whole car. Llumar has some excellent metallic films.

Third are ceramic films. These are the most expensive. They offer the best heat rejection, they dont suffer radio inerferance problems as much as most metallic films. They also have low reflectance if you want that. They will never, ever fade. Some are on super thick and hard to form sheeting and very hard to work with. Huper Optik DREI is one of the very best and most expensive of the ceramic films. There are lower grades of Huper Optik though and I dont reccomend the lower grade Ceramic Hupers for the money. Llumar is slightly below average. 3M does not have the ceramic technology to compete yet. The best film is NEVER 3M for this reason... even if they have EXCELLENT dye base films!

So its not just price to tint a car or even what brand or even what technology... its about the SPECIFIC film used and the quality of the installer. Huper Optik DREI is probably the hardest tint to apply, its the most expensive and one of the top 2 or 3 in performance if not the very best. A local tinter has a computerised cutting machine and EXCELLENT installer. Its $500 for an entire car and thats a fairly average price for Huper DREI tint.

Better tints cost more. Better installers cost more. What do you want? Tint that rejects the most heat and lasts forever with perfect cut edges or one that lasts 2-3 years and has to be replaced and has mediocre heat performance and uneven distances on some windows? I have had super cheap $50 for an entire SUV dyed film... it turned puple in less than 2 years, the back window was done in 2 pieces instead of 1, formed a bubble at 2 yeears, etc. I have paid $500 for a G35 done with Huper Optik DREI and the rear glass in one piece with a flawless install and tint super close to the edges. It looked as good after 4 years as the day it was installed. It was impossible to feel the suns heat through the glass.

Its all about what you want in your tint and what your budget is. I may go with Madico cermic MAC3000 this time around... its over 10% less total thermal rejection than Huper Optik DREI but $100 less expensive.

Research what EXACT film you want, not just brand, not just class within a brand, but the EXACT film you want. Get a top 5 tints and go price shopping. Be willing to travel to get the tint you want if it is high end and be willing to pay for a good installer with an excellent warranty. Also, as with ANY custom purchase talk to the INSTALLER to see who is good, not the salesman. The salesman is just there to haggle price. You can ALWAYS haggle price.
PM sent
Old 06-27-2010, 04:05 PM   #39
polansky568 is on a distinguished road
polansky568's Tacoma Gallery
Down here in socal, the place i've gone to since they opened (and recommended to friends and family - everyone has been happy with the film) uses llumar, and for the tint you were asking for, it would cost you $25+$25+$70

$120. My two cents: unless you're $145 in gas away from Denver, roll over there and get it done. It's worth the money savings.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:12 PM   #40
eodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud of
Navy: EOD
Name: Jerron
eodrunner's Tacoma Gallery
Come out to Guam. These retards at the dealership here said they were giving me a sweet deal on window tint. Throwing it in free, and $800 value. BS. Man I hate how much everyone is taken advantage of here. Out in town it does run about 220