Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Window Tint PRICE too high?

Old 06-27-2010, 05:13 PM   #41
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmoney View Post
Hey guys,

Hopefully this hasn't been beaten to death TOO much...

But I called a local tint shop that uses a film (Llumar) that I've heard good things about. This guy will also tint slightly more than what our state law allows...

However, for back window and all four door windows, he's asking $265.00

Is this reasonable? This being a small town, he's really my only option without traveling to Denver...

What do y'all think?

Oh, and as always, THANKS
Thats a lot i get mines for 65 buck with the fronts included to
Old 06-27-2010, 07:44 PM   #42
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter pilot still serving
rme's Tacoma Gallery
R U sure that's the tint you want? I just had mine done in Tulsa, Ok with winco by madicos. I would urge you to go with a heat reflective tint as it is much better than a tint (imho). It's kind of nice to get in the car and not be greeted with temps in excess of 100 degree's. On the downside it is much more expensive.....

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward a msg to you I got from another member here who explained window tinting really good if your interested in heat reflectivity...
Old 09-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #43
BarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant future

BarefootBandit's Tacoma Gallery
Got my Saturn done a couple of years ago. I had not searched it on the internet first or consulted with anybody.

Would of been 270 even but I had to pay NY tax because I paid with a debit card.

Later I find out that somebody at my firehouse knows the owner of the place and I could of gotten it done for half the price.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #44
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
$75 for my front two windows done in 15% llumar to match the back. Currently contemplating getting my windshield done in a high% to reflect heat while my truck sits in the parking lot at work all day.

$150 for my first honda accord in 20% llumar
$150 for my second honda accord 15% sides, 5% rear and 5% windshield strip. llumar film and guy that did my other accord.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #45
MSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MSUtacoboy's Tacoma Gallery
my back and back side are factory tinted - i just got the front 2 to match or close as possible and still be legal for $65 - that's just two windows. took him 30mins.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #46
tammikm has a spectacular aura abouttammikm has a spectacular aura about

tammikm's Tacoma Gallery
$300 here plus 13% tax to do all 4 windows and the back....
Old 09-11-2010, 03:30 PM   #47
Mall Crawler of the Year
TRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
TRDBen's Tacoma Gallery
My local tint shop, best it town, charged me $95 for my fronts only, and $325 for the whole truck. Good thing I had factory rear and only had to do fronts.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:41 PM   #48
Thread Jacker
schiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Caleb
schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
DUDE haha u made me feel so much better just now. i thought i got taken for a little while there. but now u say this im happy. I got my back solid window and two front windows done for 160+tax. 24% on the fronts and 5% on the back. but he used Huper Optik ceramic tint. so now i dont feel so bad haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
Sooooo much ignorance in this thread. Sad to see everyone just looking for lowest price.

You can expect to pay $70 to about $500 or all windows and either would be a decent price. You cant just say 3M or Llumar either. Thats like saying Ford or Dodge. Is a Ford better than Dodge? Is a Festiva better than a Ram? Is a GT40 better than a Caravan? Is $40,000 a good price on a Dodge? What... Dodge a Viper or a Dodge Caliber?

There are 3 main types of film.

The first is dye based films. These are the cheapest. They have the worst heat rejection and fade or turn purple the fastest. You can do an entire car with cheap dye based film for $70. Its thin and easy to apply and heat shrinks well. It makes install easy if its decent tint film. 3M has great dye based films if more expensive than the competition.

Second are metallic films. These offer superior heat rejection, longer life and resistance to fading etc vs dye based films. $150-250 for a decent metalic film is not a horrible price for a whole car. Llumar has some excellent metallic films.

Third are ceramic films. These are the most expensive. They offer the best heat rejection, they dont suffer radio inerferance problems as much as most metallic films. They also have low reflectance if you want that. They will never, ever fade. Some are on super thick and hard to form sheeting and very hard to work with. Huper Optik DREI is one of the very best and most expensive of the ceramic films. There are lower grades of Huper Optik though and I dont reccomend the lower grade Ceramic Hupers for the money. Llumar is slightly below average. 3M does not have the ceramic technology to compete yet. The best film is NEVER 3M for this reason... even if they have EXCELLENT dye base films!

So its not just price to tint a car or even what brand or even what technology... its about the SPECIFIC film used and the quality of the installer. Huper Optik DREI is probably the hardest tint to apply, its the most expensive and one of the top 2 or 3 in performance if not the very best. A local tinter has a computerised cutting machine and EXCELLENT installer. Its $500 for an entire car and thats a fairly average price for Huper DREI tint.

Better tints cost more. Better installers cost more. What do you want? Tint that rejects the most heat and lasts forever with perfect cut edges or one that lasts 2-3 years and has to be replaced and has mediocre heat performance and uneven distances on some windows? I have had super cheap $50 for an entire SUV dyed film... it turned puple in less than 2 years, the back window was done in 2 pieces instead of 1, formed a bubble at 2 yeears, etc. I have paid $500 for a G35 done with Huper Optik DREI and the rear glass in one piece with a flawless install and tint super close to the edges. It looked as good after 4 years as the day it was installed. It was impossible to feel the suns heat through the glass.

Its all about what you want in your tint and what your budget is. I may go with Madico cermic MAC3000 this time around... its over 10% less total thermal rejection than Huper Optik DREI but $100 less expensive.

Research what EXACT film you want, not just brand, not just class within a brand, but the EXACT film you want. Get a top 5 tints and go price shopping. Be willing to travel to get the tint you want if it is high end and be willing to pay for a good installer with an excellent warranty. Also, as with ANY custom purchase talk to the INSTALLER to see who is good, not the salesman. The salesman is just there to haggle price. You can ALWAYS haggle price.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #49
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
I spent $200 and got 35% put on all my windows-front, back, rear 3 piece slider. the 35% up front is just dark enough for me to be happy, but still light enough that hopefully I wont get pulled over for it. the 35% ontop of whatever comes stock on the double cab looks really good. makes me feel alot better about having a few thousand dollars worth of sound system right there for someone to smash a window and steal.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:11 PM   #50
11-98 MUD
norcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jack
norcal4banger's Tacoma Gallery
Paid $230 for full tint all the way around (including front window). Done by one of the best tint shops in this half of California. It'd be 250 - 275 for you here.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:29 PM   #52
Live Fast, Die Young
superwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

superwhite10's Tacoma Gallery
i paid $50 for each front window so $100 for both and $25 for a strip on the windshield. granted I knew the guy so he cut me a little slack and it was the second car I had taken to him. my girlfriend just got him to tint all the windows on her 2011 camry and paid $200
Old 02-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #53
Failure is the result of letting setbacks stop you
MedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
MedlinAround's Tacoma Gallery
Id say about 150-175 is the correct price.. But my buddy does window tint for a living so my 100 for however i wanted it was good enough for me!
Old 02-15-2011, 09:27 PM   #54
novataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud of
novataco's Tacoma Gallery
I got Pinnacle/Formula 1 ceramic tint installed for $105 for an access cab (front doors and suicide doors only. I left the rear windows alone. And that was in Northern Va. where things cost a lot.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:38 PM   #55
XXXL Member
darkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

darkgreentaco's Tacoma Gallery
my tint was done at an "non-certified" shop by "non-certified" citizens. blacked out my back window, access cab windows, and 50% my driver\passnger windows for $110..no problems , looks great. if you are in california, there are alot of these types of places, you just have to find them.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:52 PM   #56
mattmatt300 is on a distinguished road
mattmatt300's Tacoma Gallery
Im getting mine done next week and wont be paying more than $150 around atlanta
Old 02-15-2011, 09:58 PM   #57
Sigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to behold
Name: Sigi
Sigi's Tacoma Gallery
next to where i live. There is some guys on the street in front of a car wash that will do it for about 90 bucks for all windows.. Its in the ghetto but for the price its worth. It's in van nuys ca.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:04 PM   #58
Dank Tank
Blacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Blacktacoma23's Tacoma Gallery
Got mine done in denver for 140 and he will go as dark as you want
5%
Old 02-19-2011, 10:40 PM   #60
SoBaySick is a name known to allSoBaySick is a name known to allSoBaySick is a name known to allSoBaySick is a name known to allSoBaySick is a name known to allSoBaySick is a name known to all
Name: Chris
SoBaySick's Tacoma Gallery
$265 is also way high for my area... $220 is about the highest you'd pay here and even that's too high. i'd go no higher than $200