Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Window Tint PRICE too high?

Old 03-24-2010, 05:50 PM   #1
Kmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
Kmoney's Tacoma Gallery
Window Tint PRICE too high?

Hey guys,

Hopefully this hasn't been beaten to death TOO much...

But I called a local tint shop that uses a film (Llumar) that I've heard good things about. This guy will also tint slightly more than what our state law allows...

However, for back window and all four door windows, he's asking $265.00

Is this reasonable? This being a small town, he's really my only option without traveling to Denver...

What do y'all think?

Oh, and as always, THANKS
Old 03-24-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
mxracer244 is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
mxracer244's Tacoma Gallery
I live on the Illinois/Iowa border and that seems a little steep for here. I think I was quoted $200 for the whole truck when I called a few months ago. Can you get another quote to compare?
Old 03-24-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
MBU Ninja
Tat2dTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTat2dTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTat2dTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTat2dTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTat2dTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTat2dTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTat2dTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTat2dTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTat2dTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTat2dTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTat2dTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ricker
Tat2dTaco's Tacoma Gallery
that's brutal, but it could just be because you're in a small town.

Tint down here can run you 100-200 for good quality.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
gozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shed
gozar's Tacoma Gallery
I've found that there is a pretty wide gap in the skill level of the installers.
If you go with the cheapest price - check out some of their other work and make sure you like what you see.
Also - if you can find a place that uses 3M film, that stuff is the shit.
My brother had his car tinted with it about 10 years ago and it still looks great.

Scraping off a crappy tint job in a couple of years is definitely NOT a fun way to spend a day, and like anything else you will get what you pay for.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:14 PM   #5
Kmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kmoney's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the reply, everyone. Guess I'll be shopping around!!
Old 03-24-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
Tillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Former Seargent
Name: Jeff
Tillers_Rule's Tacoma Gallery
You could always try and do it yourself?

It's really not that expensive just for the film. So if you screw up just peel it off then go pay some one...
Old 03-24-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
got_titan is just really nicegot_titan is just really nicegot_titan is just really nicegot_titan is just really nice
got_titan's Tacoma Gallery
i just had my two front windows and windshield strip done for 50 dollars. 265 is way to high...the shop that did mine is small but they do excellent work...
Old 03-24-2010, 09:39 PM   #8

Kmoney's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by got_titan View Post
i just had my two front windows and windshield strip done for 50 dollars. 265 is way to high...the shop that did mine is small but they do excellent work...
Yep, I'd be willing to pay at least twice what you paid for quality work... I'm not thinking I'll be lucky enough to find a gem like you did... but over 5x is crazy.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:46 PM   #10
Gots a Taco!
Series1000 is just really niceSeries1000 is just really niceSeries1000 is just really niceSeries1000 is just really nice
Series1000's Tacoma Gallery
I paid 150 for 5 window tint, Done in 2 hours with lifetime warranty and its awesome work.
So yes 265 is too much
Old 03-24-2010, 09:48 PM   #11
Possibly Batman
NeoMoose is a splendid one to beholdNeoMoose is a splendid one to beholdNeoMoose is a splendid one to beholdNeoMoose is a splendid one to beholdNeoMoose is a splendid one to beholdNeoMoose is a splendid one to behold

NeoMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to NeoMoose
I wouldn't even think about doing it for any more than 150. 175 if it's a really top notch shop with a great reputation.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:48 PM   #12
I Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I Liquid I's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gozar View Post
I've found that there is a pretty wide gap in the skill level of the installers.
If you go with the cheapest price - check out some of their other work and make sure you like what you see.
Also - if you can find a place that uses 3M film, that stuff is the shit.
My brother had his car tinted with it about 10 years ago and it still looks great.

Scraping off a crappy tint job in a couple of years is definitely NOT a fun way to spend a day, and like anything else you will get what you pay for.
X2

I just scraped all the tints out of a Jeep Liberty and it was a pain in the ass.

For my Taco I got installed 3M brand tints and they offer a lifetime warranty backed by 3M, so that if the tint loses color or starts coming off ever, 3M will send me to a good tint place for a free replacement. It was well worth the extra 10 bucks. You get a certificate with a number for the warranty. Also, 265 is super high. 175-200 should be ok.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:30 AM   #13
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
265 is a little high imo. 200-220 is more in line w/ proper pricing from a reputable shop.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:03 PM   #14
AiServo will become famous soon enoughAiServo will become famous soon enough
AiServo's Tacoma Gallery
I just paid $200 for 3M film for all 5 windows (double cab) here in Denver. Looks good.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:05 PM   #15
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
in jersey they get $50 for 2 doors. so $100 for the 4 doors and $75 tops for rear slider
Old 03-29-2010, 09:07 PM   #16
Cracker in a Taco
KnurledNut is just really niceKnurledNut is just really niceKnurledNut is just really niceKnurledNut is just really niceKnurledNut is just really nice
Marines: 1st MarDiv
KnurledNut's Tacoma Gallery
My son had his Subaru Forester tinted a few months ago. 7 windows with 15% 3M tint. $160 out the door. No receipt because its too dark.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:12 PM   #17
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely way too much, shop around. I drove an hour and 20 minutes to get mine done because I knew the shop was VERY reputable and used Llumar with a lifetime warranty. I paid 70 for 15% on my 2 fronts. Believe their price for a 4 door vehicle was around 175.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:20 PM   #19
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoXdoer View Post
tint pro on ebay has it precut and diy and it wil cost u 30 bucks!
my brother n law bought them.he screwed up trying to put them on.they gave him his money back too.he just had to send back the fukd up tint
Old 03-29-2010, 09:45 PM   #20
Crownedcustoms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownedcustoms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownedcustoms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownedcustoms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownedcustoms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownedcustoms is a glorious beacon of light
Crownedcustoms's Tacoma Gallery
I had all my doors and back window all done limo for 180 in AZ. 265 is way high.