Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

cleaning the engine bay

Old 04-28-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
cleaning the engine bay

hey guys, after the Uwharrie trip my engine bay is caked with mud. I was just planning on spraying the hell out of my engine with a hose. is there anything i need to watch out for or be careful around? is there a better way to get my engine mud free?
Old 04-28-2008, 01:09 PM   #2
Sir Anal Loin of Beef
Dcrooks84 has a spectacular aura aboutDcrooks84 has a spectacular aura about

Dcrooks84's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Dcrooks84
Everything should be pretty much sealed up. When I do clean mine out I always steer clear of the intake (if exposed), fuse box and any other type of wire connections. I'm just overly cautious about those things. Other than those as long as all of your gaskets are in good shape you shouldn't have an issue. Just dont do it right after the engine has been running, rapidly cooling is not the way to go.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:13 PM   #3
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcrooks84 View Post
Everything should be pretty much sealed up. When I do clean mine out I always steer clear of the intake (if exposed), fuse box and any other type of wire connections. I'm just overly cautious about those things. Other than those as long as all of your gaskets are in good shape you shouldn't have an issue. Just dont do it right after the engine has been running, rapidly cooling is not the way to go.
thanks for the info. i had heard not to do it with a hot engine before but i'm glad you reminded me, i sorta forgot about it...
Old 04-28-2008, 01:39 PM   #4
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Hey ND that's a nervous undertaking to me but I would also stay clear of the ignition parts too like the coilpaks just 'cause of them arching etc. If you have access to an air hose you could fluff off alot of the dry mud with the aid of a soft wire brush
Old 04-28-2008, 01:39 PM   #5
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
the way i look at it...if mud got there...then water will too on a rainy day...sooo...for the most part it shouldnt hurt it too much...just dont go spraying water down any tubes

i use a hose on mine every now and then and knock on wood have had no issues yet
Old 04-28-2008, 01:43 PM   #6

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Hey ND that's a nervous undertaking to me but I would also stay clear of the ignition parts too like the coilpaks just 'cause of them arching etc. If you have access to an air hose you could fluff off alot of the dry mud with the aid of a soft wire brush
the air hose wont work, the mud is caked about half an inch thick. wire brush wont work either, its EVERYWHERE. I would have to take the engine apart to get to all that.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:43 PM   #7

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
the way i look at it...if mud got there...then water will too on a rainy day...sooo...for the most part it shouldnt hurt it too much...just dont go spraying water down any tubes

i use a hose on mine every now and then and knock on wood have had no issues yet
thats what i was thinking. its on the underside of my hood. i assume its no problem.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i pressure washed my engine compartment yesterday when i got back......seems to not have hurt anything.....everything is running normal.