LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Waxing my Black Sand Pearl Taco

Old 04-02-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
PatrickJW is a glorious beacon of lightPatrickJW is a glorious beacon of lightPatrickJW is a glorious beacon of lightPatrickJW is a glorious beacon of lightPatrickJW is a glorious beacon of lightPatrickJW is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Patrick
PatrickJW's Tacoma Gallery
Waxing my Black Sand Pearl Taco

Shopping around the auto parts store & found a Turtle Wax Product called Black Box. Apparently designed specificly for black painted vehicles. Anyone have an opinion one way or the other for the first wax job for my 2010??
Old 04-02-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
Everything's BIGGER in TX!
Oskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oscar
Oskie_78's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Oskie_78
never heard of it....
Old 04-02-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
pwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to behold

Name: randy
pwrstrk02's Tacoma Gallery
im not positive, but it sounds like it may be more of a scratch filler. kinda like shoe polish. they make color specific wax compounds for filling in scratches and swirls, its just a temp. fix.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
ziffen has a brilliant futureziffen has a brilliant futureziffen has a brilliant futureziffen has a brilliant futureziffen has a brilliant futureziffen has a brilliant futureziffen has a brilliant futureziffen has a brilliant futureziffen has a brilliant futureziffen has a brilliant futureziffen has a brilliant future

ziffen's Tacoma Gallery
One of my friends used it on his early 90's mustang. He said it did great. I never saw it in person (he sold it shortly after.) The pictured looked good tough.

Chris
Old 04-02-2010, 05:01 PM   #6
Amos will become famous soon enough

Name: Daniel
Amos's Tacoma Gallery
i used it on my black miata and it is nice to have the black wax instead of white because you don't have to worry about seeing all the white spots on the plastic, seals and other places you didn't mean to get the wax...
Old 04-02-2010, 05:04 PM   #7
Blacoma has a spectacular aura aboutBlacoma has a spectacular aura about

Blacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Almost bought it but went with the Maguiars Gold. I was really happy with it.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:09 PM   #8
Bryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
Bryan07sport's Tacoma Gallery
hmm.. i'm interested. hadn't heard of this stuff yet. but bsp isn't really black at all.... wonder how it'd work on the bsp? subscribed
Old 04-06-2010, 10:03 AM   #9
phoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Dennis
phoneguy44's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to phoneguy44
After claying and 2 coats of Maguiars Gold:

Looked like glass when I got done.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #10
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickJW View Post
Shopping around the auto parts store & found a Turtle Wax Product called Black Box. Apparently designed specificly for black painted vehicles. Anyone have an opinion one way or the other for the first wax job for my 2010??
Save your money do not buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneguy44 View Post
After claying and 2 coats of Maguiars Gold:

Looked like glass when I got done.

Nice job with the 2 coats of gold class.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:15 AM   #11
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
damn man. thats a clean looking truck good job.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:27 AM   #12
Banned
ShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Forward Observer
Name: Casey
ShaShasBoo's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,4,28

I've never used it, might give it a try today after work and see how it goes. I'll post pics if #1 I can find it and #2 if i feel like it after work.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:09 PM   #13
PatrickJW is a glorious beacon of lightPatrickJW is a glorious beacon of lightPatrickJW is a glorious beacon of lightPatrickJW is a glorious beacon of lightPatrickJW is a glorious beacon of lightPatrickJW is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Patrick
PatrickJW's Tacoma Gallery
I went with the Maguiars Gold wax will post a pic when I get it done. Phoneguy, nice job it looks sharp!!!
Old 04-07-2010, 03:32 AM   #14
AFTaco will become famous soon enough
Air Force: 2W0
Name: Doug
AFTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I bought that stuff years ago for my black car. Don't buy it. Its garbage, it doesnt fill in swirls nor does it give a good coat. If you want a good wax for black vehicles, get the zymbol ebony wax. Works well and worth the price.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:53 AM   #15
Oh yeah!
rb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
Gold Class wax is a great product. Used it all the time on my black 1997 Taco. If you want black paint to look like glass, you need to get an orbital polisher. Porter Cable 7424XP is the way to go. It is a kinda pricey investment at around $100. However, it will make keeping yours or any vechile looking its best. You will need to POLISH a few times a year to really keep it puf. No bullshit. Black is the best color when done right, however it is a cross to bear to keep it so.

A polisher will make your life very easy and speed up your detailing time.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:07 AM   #16
Banned
ShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Forward Observer
Name: Casey
ShaShasBoo's Tacoma Gallery
No dice on the Black box. Could'nt find it. I've never buffed a vehicle before, is it difficult? What are the steps of using a buffer?
Old 04-07-2010, 08:26 AM   #17
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb11701 View Post
Gold Class wax is a great product. Used it all the time on my black 1997 Taco. If you want black paint to look like glass, you need to get an orbital polisher. Porter Cable 7424XP is the way to go. It is a kinda pricey investment at around $100. However, it will make keeping yours or any vechile looking its best. You will need to POLISH a few times a year to really keep it puf. No bullshit. Black is the best color when done right, however it is a cross to bear to keep it so.

A polisher will make your life very easy and speed up your detailing time.
Very good post and right on the money. The $100 will get you the polisher add another $150 for pads, backing plate, polishes and a decent sealant or wax.

Think of Gold Class as a top choice grade C wax. If you decide to move up to a grade B or A it will cost you more but the protection will last longer and you will be able to see a difference in the depth and clarity of the shine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaShasBoo View Post
No dice on the Black box. Could'nt find it. I've never buffed a vehicle before, is it difficult? What are the steps of using a buffer?
Before doing a long post take a few hours and look at the Autogeek and Autopia forums. Both have a lot of useful information by people that OCD on car detailing.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/

http://autopia.org/forum/index.php?

If you still have questions shoot me a PM I will be happy to answer them.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:05 AM   #18
Oh yeah!
rb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaShasBoo View Post
Basically, the buffer does the same job as your arm. Just better and faster. There is no risk to your paint at all.

Basically, after you have wash and clayed your truck you apply some polish (get a decent one here as the money is well spent). If you have alot of swirlies and shit you will need an agressive polish as well as an agressive pad. After you then go over it with a finishing polish on a finish pad. If you do this like once a month the finishing polish is all you need. Then wax and enjoy. Only use the agressive polish/pad combo when you have some bad swirls or damage to the clearcoat. No need to remove clear if you do not need to.

Any questions, hit me up.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #19
phoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Dennis
phoneguy44's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to phoneguy44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95SLE View Post
Think of Gold Class as a top choice grade C wax. If you decide to move up to a grade B or A it will cost you more but the protection will last longer and you will be able to see a difference in the depth and clarity of the shine.
I'm sure you cant buy a grade B or A at AutoZone or Walmart can ya ? And if so, whats a few to choose from ?? i dont mind spendin the cash if my truck is going to look great !

Thanks on the compliments guys. I love my new toy.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:27 PM   #20
pwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to behold

Name: randy
pwrstrk02's Tacoma Gallery
good meguires at carquest. they are # coded so you need to read the bottles to determine what is best for you.

Products Discussed in this Thread