Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

mothers powerball mini

Old 05-09-2008, 08:54 PM   #1
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
mothers powerball mini

anyone used one of these?? i think im gonna get one this weekend.....seems like a good idea to use it for polishing wheels and other things where space is limited!! any other thoughts??
Old 05-09-2008, 09:13 PM   #2
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Hey T-Man, I keep seeing those advertized in the Hemmings book as well as Motor Trend. I'd imagine they'd be especially useful in like nooks and corners and like getting around the chrome tips etc. I don't know its material-looks like sponge? If it's not cloth then it 'll be less likely to burn-a good point. Let us know if it does the trick!
Old 05-09-2008, 09:21 PM   #3
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
man i want one tacoman. are they available anywhere besides the internet?
Old 05-09-2008, 09:26 PM   #4
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
man i want one tacoman. are they available anywhere?
here in rock hill,sc....they have them almost every parts store you go in......autozone,oreilly's, advanced, pepboys and wal mart too. they are right around $22 for the setup, and a refill(the applicator) is right around $10 or so.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Hey T-Man, I keep seeing those advertized in the Hemmings book as well as Motor Trend. I'd imagine they'd be especially useful in like nooks and corners and like getting around the chrome tips etc. I don't know its material-looks like sponge? If it's not cloth then it 'll be less likely to burn-a good point. Let us know if it does the trick!
yeah....the actual applicator is more like a sponge type material from what i have seen. i'll let ya know how good it works.....im gonna pick up one tomorrow or sunday!
Old 05-09-2008, 09:30 PM   #6
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
here in rock hill,sc....they have them almost every parts store you go in......autozone,oreilly's, advanced, pepboys and wal mart too. they are right around $22 for the setup, and a refill(the applicator) is right around $10 or so.
damn you answered before i edited lol. thanx tacomaman
Old 05-09-2008, 09:32 PM   #7
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
There's still tings of smoke fluffin off his keyboard
Old 05-09-2008, 09:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
damn you answered before i edited lol. thanx tacomaman
no prob man!!
Old 05-09-2008, 11:08 PM   #9
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Have you guys seen the powerball for paint i saw a commercial of chip foose using it i would mind using it myself.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:50 AM   #10
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough

pb2themax's Tacoma Gallery
I use a powerball mini to polish aluminum wheels. I spin it as fast as my 18v drills will go. I use Adams metal polishes. Sometimes foam pieces will fly off. I've gone through a few of them. They're a good product though. I think the price should be lower though.

On paint I prefer to use a buffer. Getting an even finish might be difficult with the paint powerball, unless you're just trying to polish out a small area or a scratch.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb2themax View Post
I use a powerball mini to polish aluminum wheels. I spin it as fast as my 18v drills will go. I use Adams metal polishes. Sometimes foam pieces will fly off. I've gone through a few of them. They're a good product though. I think the price should be lower though.

On paint I prefer to use a buffer. Getting an even finish might be difficult with the paint powerball, unless you're just trying to polish out a small area or a scratch.
yeah.....i dont really think i'd use one of the ones for paint on my truck......too risky if you ask me. i can see the drill arbor digging into the paint....not too pretty.

what about the original mothers powerball......i have one of those, never used it though!!! are they pretty good for polishing diamondplate.....like my tool box???? i also have some of the mothers aluminum power metal for it!
Old 05-12-2008, 05:54 AM   #12
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough

pb2themax's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
what about the original mothers powerball......i have one of those, never used it though!!! are they pretty good for polishing diamondplate.....like my tool box???? i also have some of the mothers aluminum power metal for it!
Yeah, the big powerball is fine for stuff like that. It's kinda too big for doing wheels though. It doesn't get into the crevices as good as the powerball mini does.

The PowerMetal is pretty average. I'd go with the Billet polish instead.
I used to use Mothers Billet polish all the time, until I tried this stuff, and then I got rid of the Mother's polish. http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-69-me...6oz-combo.aspx
Old 05-26-2008, 03:08 AM   #13
45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45longcolt's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought a mini power ball to use on my headlamp after the sanding process. The sanding left the headlamp all white and opaque looking. Hand polishing did not phase it but one run with Flitz Metal Polish and this power ball on it and it started to clear right on up. It did very well for this application and the foam is barely even worn after 2 hours of polishing. Old polish residue just rinsed away and it looks almost new now.

BTW, Flitz is wonderful stuff to remove the carbon burn marks from the front of your stainless revolver. It'll polish the entire stainless revolver too, don't use on a blued finish though. Another BTW, I use NXT Generation Tech Wax on my truck. This stuff also works wonders for blued rifles and pistols and shotguns too. Clean and degrease as normal, oil the insides like you are supposed to but leave the outside dry and clean. Then apply this Tech Wax and spread it over the firearm and let it dry. Then buff it off just like we do our trucks and lo and behold you know have a museum quality look and shine to it that is protected from fingerprints and it'll bead water too if need be.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:04 AM   #14
AL417 is on a distinguished road
AL417's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a review I did on AutoGeek for the Mothers PowerBall.

My Honda VTX has cast aluminum wheels. They’ve been nothing but a pain to try to make look good. I like the style so instead of replacing them I’ve recently considered getting them chromed or powder coated. I tried to use DG 831. This product removed the oxidation on my wheels but also left behind streaks. I followed the instructions but still got streaking. Then I saw that AG started carrying the Mothers PowerBall so I thought what the heck. I got a Mini PowerBall, Mothers Billet Metal Polish and went to work. I know the wheels are aluminum but research on my bike forum showed that the best results came from using the billet polish.

Out of the Box – Easy enough to attach the PowerBall to the extension using a 10 mm wrench. Put it on the drill and its go time.

Mothers Mini PowerBall – this thing worked wonders on my wheels. It was easy to use and I could reach into places where my hand wouldn’t fit. I had to hold on to the extension and guide it where I wanted it to go. It can get tricky and kinda hoppy so I held on tight.

Billet Metal Polish – this stuff did its job. It turned the dull wheeels into shiny wheels. I was very pleased with this product. All I had to do was buff it off.

Hindsight is 20/20 – The front wheel went really well. Both sides shined up nicely and the Mini PowerBall held up well. The back wheel was another story. By now the PowerBall was getting loaded with the polish and kind of junky. It was time to flip it over. For the life of me I couldn’t unscrew the PowerBall off the extension. I tried all different ways to unscrew it but it wouldn’t budge. So I kept going on the back wheel. As time went by pieces of the PowerBall were strewn across my garage floor. I guess I’m kinda stubborn (understatement?) because I just kept going. I got through the second wheel and I think it looks good but I know it can look better.

Bottom Line – I liked how the Mini PowerBall worked and that it could reach into places my hand can’t reach. It’s much easier than trying to hand polish. Trust me I’ve tried this too many times. I wasn’t happy that I couldn’t flip the Mini PowerBall. Actually I was kinda pissed that it wouldn’t come unscrewed. It probably wouldn’t have started flinging pieces around my garage if I had been able to flip it. But in the end I have to say that despite the problems that I encountered I am going to get a replacement Mini PowerBall and try it again. Now if I could only get the damn thing to come off the extension!

Before

Afters