1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mixing windshield washer fluids?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by MarinePhoenix2207, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Apr 25, 2010 at 8:09 PM
    MarinePhoenix2207

MarinePhoenix2207 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Jersey (yes, there's a North and South)
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD sport
    bug/debris deflector, hose clamp mod, G4 elite fold-a-cover, Westin black nerf bars, Weathertech floor mats, 285/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, MO951 black Moto Metals 17x9, Pop n' Lock w b/u camera, "TRD" third brake light mod, 13" black FA-series antenna, 20% front 5% rear tint, painted badges mod, rear diff breather mod, Thule 400xt Aero roof rack, Westin Sportsman black grille guard, silver pinstripe removed, Tacoma short bed bedmat, 3" Toytec Bilstein adjustable lift kit w 5100 shocks and 2" lift AAL, Redline Tuning Quicklift Plus, Rockford Fosgate sound system w/ Kenwood h/u
    In an effort to continue my war-on-insects, I bought the Rain-X bug remover windshield wash fluid. My only concern is should I empty the fluid that is currently in there in order to put in the new stuff, or should I mix the two by adding the new stuff when there is already half the tank remaining? The stuff that is already in there is the standard stuff they fill me up with when I get my oil changed, and the instructions just say to pour it in and not to dilute it. I'm leaning towards emptying the reservoir then filling up with the new stuff, but I wanted to see what others may have done.

2. Apr 25, 2010 at 8:14 PM
    Blue

Blue You're my boy blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Sierras
    Vehicle:
    ex 99 current 04 TRD
    Umm I have no idea. Just to be safe I would do what it tells you

3. Apr 25, 2010 at 9:08 PM
    clarkie152

clarkie152 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail
    LED light swap, TRD wheels, KO2s, C4Fab lo-pro
    i would def. empty it. or else theyd mix and ruin the effect of the concentrated rainx.

dont forget to tell the oil change place....DONT TOP OFF WASHER FLUID

4. Apr 25, 2010 at 9:36 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    i always mix mine with whatever's in there. i've used the rain-x bug stuff this way...seemed to still work great, only problem is that i have like 3 differnt kinds in there right now, so it looks like muddy water...but hey, if it works, it works.

5. Apr 26, 2010 at 6:40 AM
    MarinePhoenix2207

MarinePhoenix2207 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Jersey (yes, there's a North and South)
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD sport
    bug/debris deflector, hose clamp mod, G4 elite fold-a-cover, Westin black nerf bars, Weathertech floor mats, 285/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, MO951 black Moto Metals 17x9, Pop n' Lock w b/u camera, "TRD" third brake light mod, 13" black FA-series antenna, 20% front 5% rear tint, painted badges mod, rear diff breather mod, Thule 400xt Aero roof rack, Westin Sportsman black grille guard, silver pinstripe removed, Tacoma short bed bedmat, 3" Toytec Bilstein adjustable lift kit w 5100 shocks and 2" lift AAL, Redline Tuning Quicklift Plus, Rockford Fosgate sound system w/ Kenwood h/u
    If I were to empty to it, would I have to just run the washer fluid all the way to empty or is there a drain?

6. Apr 26, 2010 at 6:42 AM
    Jigzor

Jigzor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    20 Gladiator Rubicon
    Steersmarts Draglink, Tie rod, Track Bar
    Pull the fluid box out and unclamp the hose.

7. Apr 26, 2010 at 7:11 AM
    Bassetdad

Bassetdad What if God Smoked Cannabis

Member:
    Harrison, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2001 De-Badged SR5 Access Cab 2.7 / 5m
    Access Tononu Cover AFE Pro-Dry S Drop-in Filter American Mag Wheels Bilstein 5100's Black Billet Grill Clear Taillights Perma-Tech sprayed Kennesaw Mountain Rear Bumper Michelin Tires PIAA Driving Lights PIAA Headlights Piaa Tail Light Bulbs Tinted Windows – 50% Toytech AAL URD Short Shifter Tranny - Mobil 1 Engine - Mobil 1 Custom Three Bike In Bed Rack New Toyota Undercoated Frame Clear LED 3rd Brake Light
    I run with Rain X. I mixed mine, & kept refilling the washer until it all Rain-X fluid now.

8. Apr 26, 2010 at 7:17 AM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    If you don't empty it your truck will begin to melt from the chemical reactions and children everywhere will cry.

Uhhh it's freaking washer fluid...just add it in...

and if you're trying to get rid of bugs with your wipers, that just ruins your wiper blades.

9. Apr 26, 2010 at 7:28 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    I mix different brands for different reasons. I use the Rain-Ex water reppellant but it's expensive so I add in 1/2 tank of the cheap stuff. In the winter, I add in 1/2 tank of the expensive de-icer stuff.

So I have chemicals that are treating ice, chemicals that are keeping the rain away - all for just a bit more than the cheap stuff. And it works just fine!

On a funny side story - my dad came over to pick me up for a 5 hr road trip. I was loading my bags and he decided to top off his wiper fluid. He grabbed the container I had sitting on my retaining wall above my garbage and started to pour it in. After a few seconds of pouring, he realized something wasn't right. THE CONTAINER WAS FILLED WITH USED OIL FROM A RECENT CHANGE. And yeah, it made the windows a MESS!!! He thought black was the newest color for window wiper fluid!

Products Discussed in

To Top