1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

*Official* Ask A Detailer Thread

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by mShu7, May 12, 2008.

1. Mar 9, 2009 at 3:12 PM
    L8Rmike

L8Rmike Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goose Creek, SC
    Vehicle:
    08 White DC LB 4x4 sport
    Mike,

Do you tape off all the black plactic trip type stuff beforewax/polish or are you just carefule around that stuff?

2. Mar 9, 2009 at 3:17 PM
    mShu7

mShu7 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Brownsburg, IN
    None
    L8Rmike -

It all depends on what I'm doing. The only wax/sealant that I own that stains trim is NXT 2.0.

When it comes to polishing, if I'm just using a dual-action (DA) polisher, I do not tape. If I'm using the rotary, then I will tape since the rotary can burn through plastic in a millisecond!

3. Mar 10, 2009 at 9:08 AM
    L8Rmike

L8Rmike Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goose Creek, SC
    Vehicle:
    08 White DC LB 4x4 sport
    Thanks, I just clayed and waxed with NXT 2.0. I took the time to tape off, so I was just wondering what the pro's do.

4. Mar 10, 2009 at 9:09 AM
    mShu7

Member:
    Brownsburg, IN
    None
    Anytime! Since NXT 2.0 will stain trim, it was probably a good idea to tape off.

5. Mar 10, 2009 at 4:55 PM
    Marioso

Marioso Risueno

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Fj Cruiser
    mshu7 u have the dual head? im thinking thats the cyclo right? if so i was considering buying that but the guy convinced me to get the 7424 since it was basically the same as far as being orbital and it was 80 dollars cheaper...good guy man im surprised he didnt let me buy the cyclo

both really good products i just started doing auto detailing here in san diego did my first 3 cars so far and had 1000 business cards printed

6. Mar 10, 2009 at 4:56 PM
    mShu7

Member:
    Brownsburg, IN
    None
    I had the Cyclo, but I sold it. It's a nice machine, but it's just awkward. Plus, it's hard ot use it in tight areas. You did good by going with the PC.

Congrats on getting started. It's an addicting past time for sure!

7. Mar 10, 2009 at 5:11 PM
    Marioso

Marioso Risueno

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Fj Cruiser
    yeah i was thinking it would be hard to get int some spots since the polisher itself stuck out further than the pad if im correct

yeah im getting started im nt as good as u guys who have been in the game longer but im getting there ...its one thing to know but experience isimportant andthats whatim trying to build right now...any advice or tips?

8. Mar 10, 2009 at 5:19 PM
    mShu7

Member:
    Brownsburg, IN
    None
    We all have to start somewhere so don't feel bad. As for advice, here is something I posted for someone asking the same thing on another board:

1 - I would recommend reading this book: Amazon.com: Start Your Own Automobile Detailing Business (Start Your Own . . .): Eileen Figure Sandlin: Books

2 - Find other detailers in your area and check out their website or give them a call to ask how much they charge and what services it includes (don't tell them you're a future competitor). You're not going to find too many pro's on here that are going to just give you their price lists. I wouldn't. Plus, markets vary which means prices vary. If you know what other detailers in your market are charging, you'll have a good idea of how to price your services.

3 - If you have little to no true detailing experience, don't go into business and then use customers' vehicles for practice. Don't start a business until you are sure that you can provide good quality work, which leads me to my next point.

4 - Make sure you know how to detail the RIGHT ways. If you spend any time on this site you'll soon realize that most of the people here tend to achieve "Autopian" standards (ie - a very high standard of quality work) with their work. If you need to learn how to detail, spend as much time here on this site as you can. Also, check out the "How To" thumbnail link at the very top of this site.

5 - If you are starting a business, don't try to offer every service possible right off the bat. You should start small by offering a limited number of services (ie - wash, wash & wax, light interior cleaning). Once you have perfected those services and you're making money, you can invest in the proper tools to offer more premium services (ie - paint correction, etc.).

6 - For products, I would start with an economically-priced manufacturer that carries all the products you'll need to complete the services you are offering. Meguiar's is a good place to start. Check out AutoDetailingSolutions.net.

7 - Do good work and price accordingly. There are already enough dirt cheap detailing hacks out there in the world. The industry doesn't need more. It gives the industry a bad name and it makes it hard for those of us that do actually perform good work, charge what we are worth. There will ALWAYS be someone out there that will charge less than you. If you play that game, you won't be in business long.

8 - If you truly want to run a business, make sure you do everything the right way (ie - insurance, business license, etc.).

Good luck!

9. Mar 10, 2009 at 5:30 PM
    Marioso

Marioso Risueno

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Fj Cruiser

10. Mar 12, 2009 at 2:28 PM
    timofthehill

timofthehill Timmy

Member:
    First Name:
    Timmy
    Caledon Ontario
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner SR5 TRD Debadged
    7" Suspension Lift, 3" Body Lift, 33's on 17's, K&N Intake, Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust
    Hello mShu7,
    Do any of the interior products that you have recommended have anything in them that will dry out the dash or any plastic in the truck? I normally just use a little mr clean in warm water.. I want the truck to last. I try to wash it every weekend since I work in construction.. Always dusty from when the machines drive around..

11. Mar 12, 2009 at 7:41 PM
    mShu7

Member:
    Brownsburg, IN
    None
    Marioso - You're exactly right about my definition of paint correction. As far as products are concerned, I don't particularly love Meguiar's, but I'd use their professional lines over a lot of those other manufacturers (Car Brite, Production, Auto Beauty, etc.). For insurance, look into garage keepers liability.

timofthehill - I think you'd really like Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer (QID). It's a interior detailer (obviously) that cleans and UV protects. It's not oily or greasy like most dressings so it won't leave anything behind to attract dust. The surface looks like it's just clean. You can buy it in any parts stores, but here's a little more info on it: http://autodetailingsolutions.net/g13616.html

12. Mar 12, 2009 at 9:39 PM
    timofthehill

timofthehill Timmy

Member:
    First Name:
    Timmy
    Caledon Ontario
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner SR5 TRD Debadged
    7" Suspension Lift, 3" Body Lift, 33's on 17's, K&N Intake, Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust
    Thank you mShu7.. I was just concerned since I have heard alot about amour all drying out dashes and cracking them in time.. I don't want that to happen to my truck... its my baby right now... lol

13. Mar 13, 2009 at 5:20 AM
    mShu7

Member:
    Brownsburg, IN
    None
    I hear ya. I'm not an AA fan at all. For consumer (over the counter) products, I typically will recommend Meguiar's, Mother's, or Duragloss (only sold at Carquest).

14. Mar 14, 2009 at 3:58 AM
    WASTEDROMAD

WASTEDROMAD - Heezey

Member:
    Chapman, Kansas
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma/Double Cab/TRD
    All Stock Baby... Simply Means More Room For Modifications
    mShu7,

I just got done reading through the entire thread started by you. Please forgive me if I am opening up old wounds, but I would like to start out by expressing my deepest condolences for the rough times you had to face last year! I can not even begin to imagine what emotions you must have been flooded with.
    That said, let me follow by stating that I have much respect resulting from your amazing strength to face those rough times, and push through them with such cander. I also have much gratitude for your ability, and willingness to continually provide such vast amounts of knowledge on a topic that is so valuable to a brotherhood like TACOMAWORLD!
    I would like to wish much luck and blessings with your up and coming business, the health of you and your family, as well as your future blessing yet to come
    I know words must seem cheap coming from a forum environment, especially from a person you have never met and who lives so far away. That aside, I would like you to know that as a fellow TACOMAWORLD brother, if I can ever return the favor that you have done for so many of us here, I would be honored to help however I can!

I also wanted to take this chance to tell everyone here about the plans I have made for my very own TACO.
    I will finally be returning home from my deployment in about 1 month. At home I have a Pro Comp Stage II 6" Suspension Lift waiting to be installed. That also includes brand new 17" Helo Wheels wrapped with 35" BFG KM2 Rubber.
    I also have a complete Audio/Video lineup ready to be installed. The lineup includes:
    Kenwood Excelon DNX8120 DVD/NAV Head Unit w/ IPOD Adapter
    2 x Kicker 08KS650.2 6.5" Component Speakers for Front and Rear
    2 x 8" Kicker Solobaric 08S8L7 Woofers Enclosed In The ********* Enclosure
    Kicker 08ZX1000.1 Subwoofer Amp
    Kicker 08ZX650.4 Speaker Amp
    Soundstream SCX2 2 Farad Capacitor
    Complete Door and Rear Panel Sound Dampening
    Optima Yellow-Top Battery
    Includes Appropriate Wiring, Accessories, and Speaker Mounts (Purchased From Ebay and *********)
    Research is still being done concerning Headrest Monitors.

I will be documenting the self-install of the complete audio/video set-up. I hope that I can provide some useful input, and as always, great pictures for everyone to enjoy.

I will also be throwing in some Weather Tech Floor Mats that I have been desperately wanting to get for some time now.

The greatest news is... I now have the knowledge to complete the look of my TACO's new makeover by utilizing the tips/techniques I found in this thread. I have purchased around $500 worth of detailing supplies from the referenced autogeek website. That package includes one of the Porter Cable packages, as well as several larger containers of Optimum and 303 Products.

Again, I would like to thank mShu7, Anthony, and all of you for your very knowledgeable replies. I am impatiently look forward to getting back home and starting the several projects I have planned for my TACO. I hope that you all look forward to following along with me through the process. I hope that I can be of some help, or at least provide some pictures to help aspiring TACO brethren.

You all have been very helpful in providing the knowledge I needed to help make my decisions. Please keep up the posting, and I will do what I can to return the favors. Happy Modding!!!

- Heezey

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    MSN88longbed likes this.
  15. Mar 16, 2009 at 1:17 PM
    mShu7

Member:
    Brownsburg, IN
    None
    WASTEDROMAD -

Despite this being a forum and despite the fact that I've never met you, I'm very appreciative of your comments. Not very often do people you know step out of their comfort zone to make comments like that. For someone on the Internet to do that for a complete stranger means a lot to me. It's during rough time that support like you've given really means the most. So again, thank you for your comments.

Also, I have to say thank you for what you do for our country. It's a very noble thing to do and service men & women don't receive the credit they deserve for risking their lives so that we can live in such a great country (despite what the media says). Keep up the good work and I hope you and the others make it home safely.

As far as helping out around here, I'm glad to. Detailing is something I really like doing and I also like helping people whenever possible. Combine the two and it's hard for me to NOT be on here and help where I can :) .

Looking at your list of goodies for your Taco, I can't wait to see the before/during/after pictures and video's of the process. It's going to look and sound awesome I'm sure.

Thanks again for your sentiments!!!

28ØØ3-
    Yes, claying the chrome should be fine.

16. Mar 21, 2009 at 7:52 AM
    steelerfan7p

steelerfan7p My other car is a Bugatti

Member:
    First Name:
    Yes
    Fairmont, WV (1 Hour South of the City of Champi
    Vehicle:
    Non-TRD, Non-SR5, Non- Prerunner
    Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Metra IPod Adapter, AFE Pro Dry S Air Filter, I was added to the truck to make it better, so does that count as a Mod?
    I've tried searching through the forums but can't find anything, so I apologize if this has been posted before. How do you feel about power washing vehicles either at home or at the car wash (automatic or manual)? I don't have a lot of time to wash my taco as often as I should and this makes for an easy way to get the salt and grime off.

17. Mar 21, 2009 at 9:07 PM
    Marioso

Marioso Risueno

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Fj Cruiser
    many detailers and car washes use pressure washers, its perfectly fine i use it
    im currently trying to buy an adapter for my pressure gun, it has a bottle that u fill with an ounce of soup and water so when u pressure wash ur car it shoots soap at the same time and its not drippy the soap it sticks to the car and absorbs the dirt then u rinse off and dry

18. Mar 23, 2009 at 1:05 AM
    094x4

094x4 Active Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    mShu-
    I just got a 09 accesscab 4x4. Is there any harm if I wax it like every 2 weeks? I do it because it is not garage kept. (got 2 other cars in the garage), and also because I work at an airport, and I can see all the fall out on my vehicle from the aircraft when I leave work. (I park close to the runway). I'd like to keep the paint in best condition that I can. Would a sealent be better than wax? Any other suggestions for me?Thanks.

19. Mar 24, 2009 at 1:18 PM
    harshest

harshest I am the Sofa King

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Fog Light On, Hidden Garage Door Opener, Scanguage II, Weathertech Liners, Cig lighter always on, Door buzzer removed from dash- Upcoming: 5100s for front and rear, set fronts to 2.5" and Toytec AALs.
    What is the difference between Meguiar's ColorX and ScratchX? Which one should I be using for a vehicle that has never been clayed or polished? Do I need to do the whole truck or just certain parts? Sorry for all the questions, these products are a little confusing to me.

Thanks

20. Mar 25, 2009 at 7:17 AM
    mShu7

Member:
    Brownsburg, IN
    None
    I'm all for it. A PW is able to flush out a lot more dirt and debris from the hard to reach nooks and crannies of the exterior. Just be sure you keep the wand 1-2 feet away from the paint at all times.

Products Discussed in

To Top