1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

*Official* Ask A Detailer Thread

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by mShu7, May 12, 2008.

1. Aug 12, 2009 at 8:13 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    How deep do you think the scratches are? If you run you fingernail over them do they catch? All buffing is easier when using a machine. That being said, not everyone has access to one. I would try some ScratchX 2.0 or Ultimate Compound my Meguiar's. They are both OTC and with some elbow grease and a MF towel, you can minimize the appearence. W/O a machine, if they are nasty scratches, keep your hopes tamed. Remeber to put some wax where your polished. Good luck!

2. Aug 12, 2009 at 8:19 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 F-150 5.0
    RIP to my 08 Prerunner DC
    Thanks, They are not that deep your fingernails might catch it a little in some places, but they are very visible on black.

3. Aug 12, 2009 at 8:34 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
  4. Aug 17, 2009 at 7:53 PM
    supremetaco2

supremetaco2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    concrete jungle, oahu
    Vehicle:
    04inacoma
    +hp, lifted, lights, dif breather mod, debadged, shorty antenna...
    thanks for this, just did my car today

5. Aug 31, 2009 at 7:18 PM
    JackedTaco

JackedTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    USA, Earth...
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab TRD Off Road
    Weathertech Mats, Thule rack custom install on bed caps. Foglite anytime mod. K&N air filter. Rear leaf TSB. Tinted passenger windows. TRD CAt Back exhaust. Bilstein 5100 front shocks at 1.75".
    Whats the best wax to use before winter sets in up here in the Northeast, and what other steps should I take to prep my truck for the harsh winter. I won't have a place to wax once the weather turns too cold for outside.

Currently i wax every two to three weeks with Meguires NXT 2.0, (spring, summer and fall).

Thanks for tha help,
    Johnny

6. Sep 1, 2009 at 6:08 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    I have seen people claim the Collinite 845 is the longest lasting wax. They call it thier "winter wax". I have never used it. I always make sure to just put on 3 layers of wax on my last detail of the season. I have used Meguiar's NXT 2.0 for this in the past. However, this year I started using JetSeal 109 and find that it lasts along time. I plan to add 2 coats of JS and 2 coats of wax. Not sure which one I am using seeing I have a few.

If you are lookng for OTC. Go with the NXT 2.0. Do 2 coats one day and 1 last coat a week later. Over the winter, we get some somewhat bearable days here in the NE. You could get some waterless car wash, bring your truck to the self power wash and power wash to get the salt and major grime off and wipe down with the waterless. After, you could use a spray wax (meguiar's, eagle one, etc). That would be a good combo in the winter. Once a month is fine.

7. Sep 1, 2009 at 10:36 AM
    JackedTaco

JackedTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    USA, Earth...
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab TRD Off Road
    Weathertech Mats, Thule rack custom install on bed caps. Foglite anytime mod. K&N air filter. Rear leaf TSB. Tinted passenger windows. TRD CAt Back exhaust. Bilstein 5100 front shocks at 1.75".
    Thanks RB, I use the NXT 2.0 now, and love it.
    For my last wax before winter should I just use the NXT liquid wax, or opt for the NXT paste wax in the can.

Thanks bro, much appreciated.
    Johnny

8. Sep 1, 2009 at 11:14 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    I would use whatever you have. No need to buy anything new. Both are equally good. I find paste easier to get a thin layer, which is really the key in waxing. Multiple thin layers always outlast and outshine one thick layer IMO. If your feeling up to it, give it a clay bar first. Save you some time inthe spring when you have to clay again.

Glad I could help.

9. Sep 1, 2009 at 7:04 PM
    mShu7

mShu7 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Brownsburg, IN
    None
    Collinite 845 is a fantastic winter time wax. I've used a lot of it on my own cars as well as on customers' cars. Application is very easy on and off. Another option is Collinite 476 paste wax. Apparently, it provides even better protection, but application isn't as easy (can be hard to remove if you apply to much). I've not used it, but one of these days I'll get around to buying some. You can either order both products online, or if you have a Harbor Freight store near you, you can check there.

If you're going OTC though, NXT 2.0 or Duragloss 105 are your best options. DG 105 is labeled as a polish, but it's actually a sealant. DG can be found at CarQuest stores.

10. Sep 2, 2009 at 5:28 PM
    cornwall325

cornwall325 Toyota newbie...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09' D.C. TRD Sport 4x4
    Seatbelt chime turned off, Toyota bedmat, Wet Okoles, stock other than that.
    I recently bought my new Tacoma about a month ago. I want the absolute best for my truck as long as I'm able to tend to the washing, waxing, and all of the rest. I am curious as to what the "scratch" marks are that you can notice on a vehicle's paint, even on one that's basically brand new? I just waxed a couple little spots that were on my truck from when I brought it home from the lot. I took the wax off with a terry cloth, which now that I read some of this thread, looks like a no-no. Was this the mistake that I made that caused these fine little marks that you can only see in "perfect light at the right angle"? Also, if this is the case, what can I do to remove these places and prevent any from coming up in the future?

thanks,
    Jonathan

If terry cloths are a no-no I'm going to only save a couple of mine and light the rest on fire! :(

11. Sep 2, 2009 at 5:39 PM
    mShu7

Member:
    Brownsburg, IN
    None

Jonathan -

The scratches you're seeing in the paint are called swirls. They are tiny scratches in the paint. Those scratches are basically peaks and valleys in the paint and the light refracts off of them, showing you the ugly scratches. Polishing is the method for removal of said swirls.

Since you are wanting to learn more about detailing and are starting from bottom (please don't take offense, we all start there), I'd suggest checking out the link below. It's a very thorough guide to detailing. It should answer most if not all of your questions and give you more than enough knowledge to care for your truck.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-Detailing-Guide/

12. Sep 2, 2009 at 6:33 PM
    cornwall325

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09' D.C. TRD Sport 4x4

13. Sep 2, 2009 at 7:02 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    If yoy are really into detailing, adding some sort of machine polisher makes keeping the finish up a piece of cake. The easist machine to use is the Porter Cable 7424XP. By far. Next up the ladder is the Flex 3401. Then comes a rotary type polisher/ (Think a grinder with a polishing pad). A rotary polisher is not for a new detailer. Polishing by hand is a killer both on the clock and the rotator cuff.

To really get the most shine out of your finish, using a clay bar is key. After a good clay session. The key to polishing is knowing what to use. This obviously comes from experience. Looking at a finish and thengrabbing your poduct is a learned skill. One always wants to take the least aggresive route to save clear coat.

The number of polishes out there is ridculous. And everyone has an opinion. Your best bet is to try different ones. You will learn what you like.

You say you wash by hand, and that is great. But do you have a good wash technique? And I mean no offense at all. The #1 reason a car gets filled with siwrl marks is a bad wash technique. I know it sounds kinda loopy, but it is true.

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2386

There are a number of good videos int that link. Not too mention I find Adam's products outstanding.

A few more good links for ya:

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7011

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7228

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26009

All good reads.

14. Sep 2, 2009 at 7:08 PM
    cornwall325

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09' D.C. TRD Sport 4x4
    What is the best way to remove a scratch on the plastic that covers the gauges? I would like to purchase something that should hopefully remove it since it doesn't appear deep at all. What would you suggest that I can buy locally?

thanks again

15. Sep 2, 2009 at 7:54 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Meguiars PlastX is pretty good. Help out. Those scratches never to go away no matter what I try. I only clean them when its really needed.

16. Sep 3, 2009 at 4:05 AM
    mShu7

Member:
    Brownsburg, IN
    None

17. Sep 14, 2009 at 11:53 AM
    FLJB

FLJB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 4X4 Sport
    Hello:

I have a Super White 09 Tacoma Access cab 4X4 which i bought in Feb 09... Great truck, i love it. I have detailed and waxed it a couple times after reading this thread. But I have a question which is bothering me....

I use the NXT Liquid wax and have done the Mother's clay bar treatment, I use Mequire's soap and do not use really anything else. My truck looks great after washing and waxing it but since i live in FL it rains quite frequently. I have been noticing a black streak that comes down the side of the truck under the access cab windows - usually after it stops raining and it drives me crazy...:(:(:( it is very noticeable since the truck is white.

The access cab windows do not open on the 09, but there appears to be a rubber gasket around the window, it is recessed as the window is larger than the gasket but i can see it. Could this black stuff be coming from the rubber gasket around the window and what, if anything, could i do to stop it??? I have never put anything on that gasket, and i don't think i could if i wanted to since the gap is really small.

Does anyone else have this problem?? Could it be something the manufacturer put on it to protect the rubber??:confused:

Thank you for any help:)

18. Sep 14, 2009 at 12:02 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    It is dirt and grime that gets on there and when it rains the water seeps around that window and thus the dirty drip. Best thing to do is keep a 4oz spray bottle with either detail spray or a waterless car wash product in there. Keep a MF towel with that 4oz bottle. Use as needed. Wash towel as needed. No way to stop that dirty drip. 50/50 with 90%+ alcohol/DISTILLED water works just as goodonly smells worse.

Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer is real nice to have on hand in the detail bag/box.
    However, look into a waterless car wash product. With that rain you get, you can do your truck in like 10-15 mins. 2 MF towels is all you need. I use this one:
    http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-439-new-adams-waterless-car-wash-combo.aspx

Really is the best one I have used. Optimum No Rinse (ONR) is good, but requires some water. Adams stuff is spray and wipe and leaves a crazy shine.

Hope that helps. Oh yeah, MF means MicroFiber if you didn't know.

19. Sep 14, 2009 at 12:14 PM
    FLJB

FLJB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 4X4 Sport
    Thanks man. That was kinda what i was afraid of, no fix other than to wash/wipe it off.... the problem is, i would be wiping it every day... bummer.

20. Sep 14, 2009 at 12:32 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Thus is the life of a detail junkie. One of the main reason I got Silver over White. I have no garage here and RI and that dirty drip would drive me nuts. The white always showed it. The silver took a few times to stand out. I still love that White. White in RI is a tough color to have. Unless it is a garage queen. DD's always look dirty. I would be out there 3x a week lol. Good luck with you truck! Great truck and great color!

Products Discussed in

To Top