Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

*Official* Ask A Detailer Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #1021
buckwild is on a distinguished road
Name: Bill
buckwild's Tacoma Gallery
So...does using tire shines mess up the rubber compound of the tire? The tires on my rv say not to use anything at all on the tires due to breaking down the chemicals in the rubber & causing shorter life.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:55 AM   #1022
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwild View Post
So...does using tire shines mess up the rubber compound of the tire? The tires on my rv say not to use anything at all on the tires due to breaking down the chemicals in the rubber & causing shorter life.
not 100% on this, but I'd imagine so. I don't use it just because rubber+chemicals=bad in my opinion.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:51 AM   #1023
fishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
fishntaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Silicone based tire shines will break down rubber. Water based tires shines and products like 303 aerospace protectant contain uv inhibitors and keep the rubber supple.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:50 AM   #1024
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishntaco View Post
Silicone based tire shines will break down rubber. Water based tires shines and products like 303 aerospace protectant contain uv inhibitors and keep the rubber supple.
X2
Old 09-21-2012, 11:48 PM   #1025
buckwild is on a distinguished road
Name: Bill
buckwild's Tacoma Gallery
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishntaco View Post

so, where can I find 303 aerospace protectant?
Old 09-22-2012, 02:15 AM   #1026
fishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
fishntaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so, where can I find 303 aerospace protectant?
Any marine store should carry it. If you don't have any around, most of the online detail supply websites carry it. Autogeek.com, detailedimage.com, etc.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:20 AM   #1028
GWinstead is on a distinguished road
Army:
GWinstead's Tacoma Gallery
One of the most informative, valuable stickies I have ever read, anywhere. Thanks to the OP, and you other guys that know your stuff.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #1029
jimiola is on a distinguished road
jimiola's Tacoma Gallery
Detail order

I haven't waxed in a while soI want to do a clean,clay,polish,wax number on my truck. What is the best order to do these in? Thanks man Jim
Old 09-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #1030
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimiola View Post
I haven't waxed in a while soI want to do a clean,clay,polish,wax number on my truck. What is the best order to do these in? Thanks man Jim
Wash, clay polish, wax it the order. You had it correct,
If you are doing it by hand I would suggest Mothers products as the solution. Use a foam applicator for the wax and soft terry cloth towels to buff.

https://store.mothers.com/product_in..._id=59&cPath=5

https://store.mothers.com/product_in...roducts_id=148

Total cost should be around $75 including the towels. Try to find the products on sale.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #1031
conquistador has a spectacular aura aboutconquistador has a spectacular aura aboutconquistador has a spectacular aura about

conquistador's Tacoma Gallery
Looking into purchasing a Porter Cable 7424 XP with Meguiars 105 and 205 polishes to uses on my personal vehicles. I have no experience using a machine buffer. But after some research it seems this is the best for a newbie. I will use the Klasse brothers to wax and seal after I polish. I am curious as to which color of pads to purchase and what size to choose? Do you have any recommendations as to which direction to go? Both vehicles are white in color if that matters.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #1032
Old Man Winter

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquistador View Post
Looking into purchasing a Porter Cable 7424 XP with Meguiars 105 and 205 polishes to uses on my personal vehicles. I have no experience using a machine buffer. But after some research it seems this is the best for a newbie. I will use the Klasse brothers to wax and seal after I polish. I am curious as to which color of pads to purchase and what size to choose? Do you have any recommendations as to which direction to go? Both vehicles are white in color if that matters.
Congrats this is a great choice for a start. Hard to go wrong with the Megs 105 & 205 combo. A great 1-2 punch used by a lot of the pros.

For pads I would pick up the Lake Country CCS 5 1/2 in pads. Start with Orange and White for paint correction and either a Red or Blue if you plan on putting the Klasse with a pad. If you have major swirl marks or scratches you might want to pick up a Yellow pad as well.

Good luck with your start.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:43 AM   #1033
Jbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joshua
Jbcm12's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys I'm going to need a lot of help. I just recently joined the forums after driving my 05 Tacoma for about a year now. Was my parents but I hit 18 and they gave me the keys. From 05 to when I got it it sat there because of gas. Now that I have it the roof is faded, rock chips, scratches throughout. And I would say that I have about 20 small dents. Btw it's BSP. What should I do to get the body to clean
Old 10-24-2012, 06:18 AM   #1034
Old Man Winter

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbcm12 View Post
Hey guys I'm going to need a lot of help. I just recently joined the forums after driving my 05 Tacoma for about a year now. Was my parents but I hit 18 and they gave me the keys. From 05 to when I got it it sat there because of gas. Now that I have it the roof is faded, rock chips, scratches throughout. And I would say that I have about 20 small dents. Btw it's BSP. What should I do to get the body to clean
I will assume that at 18YO you do not have or can afford the cost of a buffer, pads, and polish.

I would first wash, then claybar and then use the Mothers cleaning system. Mothers has one of the best hand polish and wax systems on the market today.

http://www.motherscaliforniagold.com/index.html

All the auto parts stores carry this system. I would stay with the Mothers line for the claybar as well. Purchase a few quality microfiber towels not the cheap ones from Walmart or a big box retailer. You can probably find the Meguiars towels at the autoparts store as well.

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...-towel-3-pack/

There are other purchasing options as well on line.

For the little dents and dings try to find a Paintless Dent Remover technician in your town. Depending on the size and number of dents the cost will be between $100 to $150.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #1035
TRDSport13 is on a distinguished road
TRDSport13's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome thread and thank you so much for the info! All this has done is reassure that I've made the right decisions all these years by buying Meguiar's.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:25 PM   #1036
Jbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Jbcm12's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95SLE View Post
I will assume that at 18YO you do not have or can afford the cost of a buffer, pads, and polish.

I would first wash, then claybar and then use the Mothers cleaning system. Mothers has one of the best hand polish and wax systems on the market today.

http://www.motherscaliforniagold.com/index.html

All the auto parts stores carry this system. I would stay with the Mothers line for the claybar as well. Purchase a few quality microfiber towels not the cheap ones from Walmart or a big box retailer. You can probably find the Meguiars towels at the autoparts store as well.

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...-towel-3-pack/

There are other purchasing options as well on line.

For the little dents and dings try to find a Paintless Dent Remover technician in your town. Depending on the size and number of dents the cost will be between $100 to $150.
Actually not really, at I work and go to school. Most of my money has actually gone to my truck only. I wanted to ask about bufffering but I have no clue where to really begin with all that. When I have time, most likely my day off I want to call a ding repair and actually clay bar the car. But from there I'm lost.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:27 AM   #1037
Old Man Winter

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Actually not really, at I work and go to school. Most of my money has actually gone to my truck only. I wanted to ask about bufffering but I have no clue where to really begin with all that. When I have time, most likely my day off I want to call a ding repair and actually clay bar the car. But from there I'm lost.
Youtube and some manafactures have excellent vids on claybar and polishing.

The entry level for a buffer, pads, polishes, waxes amd a sealant is around $250-300.

Look at the Porter Cable XP for a decent quality buffer.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:49 PM   #1038
Jbcm12's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95SLE View Post
Youtube and some manafactures have excellent vids on claybar and polishing.

The entry level for a buffer, pads, polishes, waxes amd a sealant is around $250-300.

Look at the Porter Cable XP for a decent quality buffer.
Oh damn, I never expected it to be that much. For entry level stuff at least
Old 10-26-2012, 08:43 AM   #1039
Old Man Winter

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh damn, I never expected it to be that much. For entry level stuff at least
Porter Cable is a really decent buffer that will last you for a lot of years. My old Porter Cable, PC, is close to 11YO at this point. I also have another random orbital buffer and a direct drive buffer as well. I still use the PC buffer for certain aspects of mataining a finish.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:18 AM   #1040
ASUMTNEER is on a distinguished road
Name: Adam
ASUMTNEER's Tacoma Gallery
so I bought a 99 red taco a couple of weeks back and I am very happy with it. The only bad thing is the paint it faded slightly. Am I right in thinking that a good polish and wax would help?

Products Discussed in this Thread