1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

*Official* Ask A Detailer Thread

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by mShu7, May 12, 2008.

1. Aug 19, 2013 at 3:15 PM
    TailDrag

TailDrag Well-Known Member

Member:
    It's compressed gas in liquid form that comes out as freezing liquid. It will freeze the gum and then can be pulled off as a solid chunk and less a gooey mess.

2. Aug 19, 2013 at 3:18 PM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  3. Aug 19, 2013 at 4:01 PM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    Awesome, reading it now, thanks for the help guys.

4. Aug 19, 2013 at 5:19 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Hope it works out for you Mr. Dino. :)

5. Aug 19, 2013 at 5:23 PM
    Colt562

Colt562 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13' TRD Sport 4x4
    Icon Stage 3 Lift Kit...Dakars
    make sure you have some ventilation though because not only does it shoot out the nitrogen but some really bitter tasting substance. I use it for my reloading press and have to hold my breathe when I use it.

6. Aug 23, 2013 at 12:01 AM
    cheeseit

cheeseit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    It's so kids would stop huffing that shit and dying.

7. Aug 23, 2013 at 4:30 PM
    Marcs2012

Marcs2012 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Honolulu
    Vehicle:
    Trd sport
    What's the best chamois or blade and what brands are best or a detail blower? Just wondering what I should get? Also what waxes do you use and sealants? That's is better than store bought lmk thanks guys

8. Aug 23, 2013 at 4:39 PM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    Thanks guys!

I used computer duster to freeze, spoon to chip it off.

Warmed up the seat, then a glass of water, 1/4 of it everclear with a squirt on dawn dish soap and mixed it all together. Used a dish rag to scrub it off the seat, worked 100%.

Cheers!

9. Aug 23, 2013 at 7:09 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    You will not need the glaze. The glaze fills in swirl marks and the PC will remove them, the swirl marks. You might want to cut back on one white pad and add a red or a blue pad to put on the sealant.

You might want to top the sealant with a wax. Nattys red is a great low cost wax.

If you want an exotic wax try the Fuzion mini. You will not be disappointed.

The mini does go on sale from time to time.

Fuzion will last through the winter.

To bring out a little warmer glow and depth to the finish you can spend another $50 and get Souveran.

I have used all three waxes and liked them all.

I do use Fuzion for the winter and Souveran for the summer.

10. Aug 24, 2013 at 12:28 AM
    SR5808

SR5808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J10
    Honolulu,Hi
    Vehicle:
    Black Prerunner SR5
    Tint/ weathertech visors/ truxedo tonneau cover/ color matched front emblem and door emblems/ Clazzio Leather seat covers/debaged tail gate/depo black tail lights/color matched front grill/led headlights/ Pioneer Avh-5800/ Alpine Type R Front and Rear speakers/ Alpine Pdr-v75/ JL audio 10tw3/ Mr. Marv Custom sub box/amp rack/ Stealth Custom Series Stealth 6 17x8.5/ 265/70/17 Nitto terra grapplers...
    Sup guys. Im new to machine polishing but want to try and make my paint look "perfect". So Im looking for a good and reasonable priced dual action polisher since Im still a beginner. Can anyone recommend a brand to buy? Pads as well?
    Thanks guys.

11. Aug 24, 2013 at 4:07 AM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab

12. Aug 25, 2013 at 8:14 PM
    Mr. Sparkle

Mr. Sparkle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    Silver 09 TRD Sport
    Leer Cap Subfloor, water pump, marine battery, 45 gal water tank & plumbing to wash cars anywhere
    No chamois or no blade. The chamois creates a lot of friction and the blade is high risk for a scratch

Small leaf blower (I've now treated myself to a cordless electric) and a waffle weave microfiber towel. OR just any decent plush microfiber towel will do (check detailers domain - great deals on 10 packs of quality MFs)

I'd also recommend a search on the 'sheeting method' as this works very well with the garden hose

Sealants / waxes - lot of options. I use a lot of stuff but primarily reach for one of the following:

Blackfire wet diamond sealant
    collinite 845 insulator wax
    p21s concours look paste
    wolfgang fuzion

and for an 'all in one' with some cleaners - poorboys polish with sealant. Then top it with one of the above recommendations

13. Aug 25, 2013 at 8:21 PM
    Mr. Sparkle

Mr. Sparkle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    Silver 09 TRD Sport
    Leer Cap Subfloor, water pump, marine battery, 45 gal water tank & plumbing to wash cars anywhere

I use 3in pads quite a bit. But it will take you forever on the taco.

Although most dont always have this luxury, I usually polish with 3-4 machines. 3 inch pad on the porter cable. 5in pad on the Griots. 6in pad on the flex 3401.

If I had to pick one, it'd be the griots and 5in pads. The griots really blows away the PC as far as power goes.

M105 is great... but it dusts like crazy. I much prefer Megs M100, which was released a couple years after 105. Cuts just as well in my opinion, finishes great also (with proper technique) and very little dust.

M205 is another favorite of mine. Super easy to use, and cleans up the compounding mess. I rarely use it on dark vehicles (wont get too geeky on you as to why) but to the average eye, its a homerun

14. Aug 25, 2013 at 8:31 PM
    fenderpicks

fenderpicks Well-Known Member

Member:
    I would honestly suggest EVERY Tacoma owner to use a "COATING" instead of sealant and wax....

Since coating LASTS MUCH LONGER... i am talking about 2+ years after applied.
    Wax would probably only lasts 3 months or less depending on what you do with your truck. Especially the folks that does off road.

15. Aug 27, 2013 at 9:10 PM
    SR5808

SR5808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J10
    Honolulu,Hi
    Vehicle:
    Black Prerunner SR5
    Tint/ weathertech visors/ truxedo tonneau cover/ color matched front emblem and door emblems/ Clazzio Leather seat covers/debaged tail gate/depo black tail lights/color matched front grill/led headlights/ Pioneer Avh-5800/ Alpine Type R Front and Rear speakers/ Alpine Pdr-v75/ JL audio 10tw3/ Mr. Marv Custom sub box/amp rack/ Stealth Custom Series Stealth 6 17x8.5/ 265/70/17 Nitto terra grapplers...
    Been thinking about cleaning the inside of my truck but dont have time right now, which led me to think how often do you guys clean your trucks? Interior and/or exterior? Just curious. Didnt really care about cleaning/detailing my old cars before until I bought my first brand new vehicle, my tacoma.

16. Aug 28, 2013 at 9:50 AM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Usually every other wash I do the following
    Clean the interior
    Apply tire dressing
    Use 303 aerospace Protectant on the tonneau cover and door weather seals

17. Aug 31, 2013 at 6:43 PM
    Kavik

Kavik Kavik

Member:
    Texas, DFW
    Vehicle:
    Not your everday 5 lug
    Lowered: 3 inch drop blocks (Beefed Taco),Satoshi Grill, Morimoto bi-xenon H1 Retrofitted headlights, Flowmaster exhaust, Blue LED interior and exterior, blue LED dome light, Anzo black LED taillights, Hifonics Brutus 1100w Mono Block, Bazooka 300w Amp, LED license plate lights. Lifited: Fat Bob's rear shocks, Fat Bob's 3" spacer and rear AAL, Nitto Terragrapplers, weldertaco wrap around rear tube bumper, TrailWorx Fab tube front bumper
    Does anyone have any recommendations on how to remove rail dust from paint?

18. Sep 1, 2013 at 3:09 AM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    I would start with claybar. Any auto parts stores or Wally World will have a kit for around $15. Mothers or Megs both sell quality kits.

19. Sep 1, 2013 at 6:50 PM
    Canadian Taco 705

Canadian Taco 705 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Windsor Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black 2.7L 2WD Debadged
    Interior: Hardwire GPS Hardwire USB x2 Extra Cig Lighter Mag Light Mod x2 Exterior: Debadged TRD hood Bull Bar Halo Headlights 6000K Lumens HID 50% Windshield Tint 5% Window Tint
    quick question for yah. I debagged my truck today and im not sure if the goo off took some of the clear coat with it or if it is residue from the badge but it doesnt look good ill post some pictures tomorrow but any help would be great im not so happy right now!

20. Sep 1, 2013 at 7:00 PM
    Kavik

Kavik Kavik

Member:
    Texas, DFW
    Vehicle:
    Not your everday 5 lug
    Lowered: 3 inch drop blocks (Beefed Taco),Satoshi Grill, Morimoto bi-xenon H1 Retrofitted headlights, Flowmaster exhaust, Blue LED interior and exterior, blue LED dome light, Anzo black LED taillights, Hifonics Brutus 1100w Mono Block, Bazooka 300w Amp, LED license plate lights. Lifited: Fat Bob's rear shocks, Fat Bob's 3" spacer and rear AAL, Nitto Terragrapplers, weldertaco wrap around rear tube bumper, TrailWorx Fab tube front bumper
    It seems some people have an issue where they clear coat over the badges which makes it look weird when you take them off.

Products Discussed in

To Top