Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

*Official* Ask A Detailer Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-20-2014, 11:54 PM   #1661
SR5808 is on a distinguished road
Name: J10
SR5808's Tacoma Gallery
What type of light should I use when paint correcting? My garage has pretty bad lighting. I know there's that brinkmann swirl finder light, but are there any other options besides that one. I mean can I use a flashlight or something. Haha.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:48 AM   #1662
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR5808 View Post
What type of light should I use when paint correcting? My garage has pretty bad lighting. I know there's that brinkmann swirl finder light, but are there any other options besides that one. I mean can I use a flashlight or something. Haha.
Fenix TK 35.

http://www.fenixgear.com/fenix-bests...x-tk35-l2.html

Nothing beats pure sunlight. Pull the vehicle out into the sunlight and look. The price is right with this option.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:29 PM   #1663
SR5808's Tacoma Gallery
Damn. After doing some more research I'm now unsure of my pad selection. Haha. Initially I was going with the standard m105/m205 combo with orange and white pads with a flex. But after reading that it might be too aggressive for my truck I am now reconsidering. Since my trucks paint isn't too bad. It does have some swirls/water spots but it is a 2013 that I maintain pretty well. (2 bucket wash, microfiber etc) Now looking at m105 with a white polishing pad and m205 with a black finishing pad. Or might stick with just a one step polish, m205 with white pad. Any advice from you seasoned detailers out there? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!!
Old 04-22-2014, 03:09 AM   #1664
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Damn. After doing some more research I'm now unsure of my pad selection. Haha. Initially I was going with the standard m105/m205 combo with orange and white pads with a flex. But after reading that it might be too aggressive for my truck I am now reconsidering. Since my trucks paint isn't too bad. It does have some swirls/water spots but it is a 2013 that I maintain pretty well. (2 bucket wash, microfiber etc) Now looking at m105 with a white polishing pad and m205 with a black finishing pad. Or might stick with just a one step polish, m205 with white pad. Any advice from you seasoned detailers out there? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!!
You will be OK with the 105/205 combo. Mark off a 2'X2' section on the hood and try the least aggressive pad/polish combo and see if that takes care of the swirls. If it does use that process for the entire Tacoma.

On another note, Pinnacle Wax is having a one day only, today, 15% off with free shipping over $50. If you have a white Tacoma you would be hard pressed to find a better wax than liquid Souveran.

http://www.pinnaclewax.com/
Old 04-22-2014, 11:29 AM   #1665
SR5808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95SLE View Post
You will be OK with the 105/205 combo. Mark off a 2'X2' section on the hood and try the least aggressive pad/polish combo and see if that takes care of the swirls. If it does use that process for the entire Tacoma.

On another note, Pinnacle Wax is having a one day only, today, 15% off with free shipping over $50. If you have a white Tacoma you would be hard pressed to find a better wax than liquid Souveran.

Thanks man! I will try a one step polish first and see if it's to my liking. One last thing. How do u guys polish the narrow areas on the truck? Like the A pillars. Since i only have the 6.5 inch pads. Do I just do them by hand?
Old 04-29-2014, 12:17 PM   #1666
the captain
7shotguns is on a distinguished road

7shotguns's Tacoma Gallery
Hey fellas, I've been using the 105/205 combo and it has worked out pretty well on my black tacoma. The thing I'm not to stoked about is the 105 dries out while in use and flakes or is dusty or whatever. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm not loyal to megs and am totally fine with trying out a different polish. Any help would be bueno. Thanks!!
Old 04-29-2014, 02:02 PM   #1667
Old Man Winter

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks man! I will try a one step polish first and see if it's to my liking. One last thing. How do u guys polish the narrow areas on the truck? Like the A pillars. Since i only have the 6.5 inch pads. Do I just do them by hand?
I use the buffer on them. You do need to tape up the plastic and rubber trim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7shotguns View Post
Hey fellas, I've been using the 105/205 combo and it has worked out pretty well on my black tacoma. The thing I'm not to stoked about is the 105 dries out while in use and flakes or is dusty or whatever. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm not loyal to megs and am totally fine with trying out a different polish. Any help would be bueno. Thanks!!
Try misting the pad with some distilled water. I find that the polish will flash more in humid weather than in dry weather.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:52 PM   #1668
spiralout462 is on a distinguished road

spiralout462's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7shotguns View Post
M205 is more than enough cut to remove defects on my 2012 Black(202). I have used other compounds that are much easier to use than M105. Wolfgang Uber Compound is my current favorite. If you like SMAT products Meguiar's Ultimate Compound is very similar to M105 but easier to use with a longer work time. The new compound from Meg's is M101. It has been very well received!

Welcome to Tacoma World!
Old 04-30-2014, 10:06 AM   #1669
the captain
7shotguns is on a distinguished road

7shotguns's Tacoma Gallery
sweet thanks fellas
Old 04-30-2014, 03:54 PM   #1670
Old Man Winter

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
This spring I am doing a cquartz UK coating for the Tacoma. So far it is pretty decent with 1 coat of cquartz and 1 coat of Reload. I need to let it cure overnight then do a second coat. This is a hood shot only.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:05 PM   #1671
SR5808's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work. I heard about cquartz but not too sure what it is. Is it something like opti-coat...
Old 05-02-2014, 03:50 AM   #1672
Old Man Winter

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nice work. I heard about cquartz but not too sure what it is. Is it something like opti-coat...
I believe it is. This is my first attempt at this type of protection and so far it is sort of iffy. I really need to look at the finish in natural sunlight today, if we get any. We have been having rain and snow since November. This week is no exception. Getting used to a new product does take some time to figure out how it acts on my vehicles and the actual cure time. I am not supposed to wash the vehicle for a week so there has to be something to do with a cure time for the product.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:39 PM   #1673
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95SLE View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralout462 View Post
M205 is more than enough cut to remove defects on my 2012 Black(202). I have used other compounds that are much easier to use than M105. Wolfgang Uber Compound is my current favorite. If you like SMAT products Meguiar's Ultimate Compound is very similar to M105 but easier to use with a longer work time. The new compound from Meg's is M101. It has been very well received!

Welcome to Tacoma World!
Which is more aggressive, 105 or 205? Silver 2010 with a couple of small scratches and swirls. Or would the Meg's Ultimate Compound be better?
Old 05-02-2014, 08:37 PM   #1674
spiralout462 is on a distinguished road

spiralout462's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABA180 View Post
Which is more aggressive, 105 or 205? Silver 2010 with a couple of small scratches and swirls. Or would the Meg's Ultimate Compound be better?
M105 is more aggressive. M101 is the latest and greatest compound from Meguiar's. A test spot will determine which pad and product combination will produce the best finish for your particular paint system. Personally, I like Ultimate Compound better than M105.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:33 PM   #1675
ToeKneeSock is on a distinguished road
Name: Tony
ToeKneeSock's Tacoma Gallery
Hi folks,

I have a 2014 super white Tacoma with minimal swirls. I wanted to see what's recommended for polish/AIO and sealant/wax to make the white pop out? and can the clear bra protector over the fender be polish over? See attached image.

Thanks, Tony
Attached Thumbnails
*Official* Ask A Detailer Thread-323.jpg  
Old 05-03-2014, 05:37 PM   #1676
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralout462 View Post
M105 is more aggressive. M101 is the latest and greatest compound from Meguiar's. A test spot will determine which pad and product combination will produce the best finish for your particular paint system. Personally, I like Ultimate Compound better than M105.
I have the Ultimate, just got it the other day. Maybe I should give that a try.

I have the Porter Cable DA and Lake Country pad set..Orange, black, white..
Old 05-16-2014, 08:22 AM   #1677
YNWA
adanfon is one of the sharper tools in the shedadanfon is one of the sharper tools in the shedadanfon is one of the sharper tools in the shedadanfon is one of the sharper tools in the shedadanfon is one of the sharper tools in the shedadanfon is one of the sharper tools in the shedadanfon is one of the sharper tools in the shedadanfon is one of the sharper tools in the shedadanfon is one of the sharper tools in the shedadanfon is one of the sharper tools in the shedadanfon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Adan
adanfon's Tacoma Gallery
I was wondering if anyone has used the meguiars or mothers product to remove glass water spots? I was thinking about getting some, I have spots on my camrys windshield I would like to remove. Thanks guys.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:27 AM   #1678
Incomparable, like...
Yakoma is a splendid one to beholdYakoma is a splendid one to beholdYakoma is a splendid one to beholdYakoma is a splendid one to beholdYakoma is a splendid one to beholdYakoma is a splendid one to beholdYakoma is a splendid one to beholdYakoma is a splendid one to behold

Name: Randy
Yakoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowmasteradan View Post
I was wondering if anyone has used the meguiars or mothers product to remove glass water spots? I was thinking about getting some, I have spots on my camrys windshield I would like to remove. Thanks guys.
Not Meguiar's or Mother's, but I've used these two products with good results. Not cheap though. Gotta use the sealer after the cleaner or the water spots return.

CRL "Sparkle" Cleaner and Stain Remover

CRL TPC (Transparent Polymer Coating) Surface Protector
Old 05-16-2014, 11:38 AM   #1679
Old Man Winter

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakoma View Post
Not Meguiar's or Mother's, but I've used these two products with good results. Not cheap though. Gotta use the sealer after the cleaner or the water spots return.

CRL "Sparkle" Cleaner and Stain Remover

CRL TPC (Transparent Polymer Coating) Surface Protector
Old 05-16-2014, 04:22 PM   #1680
Lindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lindsey
Lindsey Walrod's Tacoma Gallery
Is there a product out there that erases slight scratches from washing with the wrong tool? My taco is black, and when the sun hits it, it's obvious, to me. No more typical wash brushes from now on

Products Discussed in this Thread