1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

*Official* Ask A Detailer Thread

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by mShu7, May 12, 2008.

1. Jul 11, 2014 at 5:42 AM
    MTopp

MTopp Professional bear handler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 4x4
    trifecta tonneau, pop n' lock, Depo black bezel headlights, mb 352 wheels, 265/75r16 cooper at3s, visors, colormatched 2011 grille with raptor LEDs, much LEDs in and out Future/wanted: black valence, hood scoop, catback, CAI, 285/75r16s, OMD leaf pack mod
    Hi everyone, so I need new tires and really wanted new rims/wheels as well, but can't afford it. So I'm gonna paint my stock steel ones flat black with a clear coat over it. What can I use to protect the paint from winter conditions ?

2. Jul 11, 2014 at 5:54 AM
    Chopper678

Chopper678 Professional Threadjacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 SR5 PreRunner V6 DCSB
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod
    So if I've been using armor all in the past, is it too late to switch products?

I think I will get that "starter kit" bundle for around $40 I think it was.

3. Jul 11, 2014 at 7:33 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    It is never too late to switch to 303 Devin.

4. Jul 11, 2014 at 8:50 AM
    Chopper678

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod
    Okay, did you see this suggestion?

What do you think? I have never heard of 303 and am unsure of how expensive it is but this looks like a good deal to me. Opinions appreciated

5. Jul 11, 2014 at 12:21 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    303 is great on any surface that doesn't get rained on. I use it some on interior. I skip the exterior with it cause rain will wash it off. Exterior I use Adam's Super VRT.

6. Jul 11, 2014 at 12:31 PM
    Chopper678

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    :goingcrazy: So much information and differing opinion

7. Jul 11, 2014 at 12:56 PM
    Z E R 0

Z E R 0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma 4x4
    I use megs interior dash protectant, the white liquid like armor all, can't remember the name.. So that's bad for the vinyl leather etc

8. Jul 11, 2014 at 1:34 PM
    Chopper678

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Are you suggesting megs or saying its bad?

9. Jul 12, 2014 at 12:33 AM
    Z E R 0

Z E R 0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma 4x4
    No, I'm asking if the one I am using bad for the interior? 303 a lot better?

10. Jul 12, 2014 at 6:39 AM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Of the products in the Megs bundle I use Scratch X, applicator pad, and the car wash.

Talk to 5 different detailers and you will get 5 opinions none of which are wrong.

I agree with Mike Phillips, "Find a product you like and use it often".

I use 303 on my truck bed cover, all rubber seals on the interior, and on rubber and plastic parts under the hood of the vehicle. I use a different product for interior plastic and tire shine.

One of the problems I identified early on is the cost of trying something new because of the hype, that can get expensive fast. If you are looking for a product to help you clean or protect a part of your vehicle you have to try products until you find one you like. Once you find that product just stop looking for a product to replace it. If that makes sense.

Boutique products cost more and are not for everyone. Most of the guys looking for help in this thread are looking for budget items that do the job. Recommending a $65 to $100 tin of wax will do them no good as they will not pay the price. But a $20 tin of wax is certainly affordable. I usually recommend Mothers because I used the product line for 10 to 15 years with great results. The Mothers carnauba paste wax will last 4 to 6 weeks on a daily driver. Megs Gold Class will get you 4 weeks but the Mothers, to me, has a deeper glossier shine.

When you get into boutique products most will last 2 to 3 months but the shine is deeper, glossier, and has a wet look. Some of the hybrid products, carnauba plus a synthetic wax, will last an honest 6 months with a deep wet shine. But the cost is a lot more for the shine and durability.

I would rather see a TW member use Gold Class than nothing at all. At least that member is taking action to ensure the paint will look better for a longer time on the Tacoma.

11. Jul 12, 2014 at 6:45 AM
    DrFunker

DrFunker Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have been impressed with the 303. I was an Armor All guy before.

12. Jul 12, 2014 at 7:25 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    I use 303 and it's fine on the dash - on my bed cover it's good until it rains an then looks like shite. Any suggestions from those with successful experience appreciated. Thanks.

13. Jul 12, 2014 at 7:31 AM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    I spray some on the cover and some on a folded over utility microfiber towel. I work it into the cover using a circular motion. I do this twice wiping off any excess 303 and let it dry in the sun. The second pass helps to mask the circular patterns on the cover. When it dries the color should be uniform on the entire cover. I usually do the application every other wash.

14. Jul 12, 2014 at 7:36 AM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    [​IMG]

Gave my dad the duty of loading the fishing gear in the truck and he ended up taking a chunk out of my tailgate with one of the fishing buckets (just above the handle). It's not that long but it looks pretty deep. Is this something that I can buff out? Any ideas?

15. Jul 12, 2014 at 7:42 AM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    You might want to fry scratch X with a foam applicator pad. Do not be afraid to use your body weight on the pad when working the scratch X

16. Jul 12, 2014 at 8:44 AM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Thanks for the reply. I'll try your technique. I've tried a few different ways - non worked. Hope I can duplicate your success. Thanks again for your help.

17. Jul 12, 2014 at 8:50 AM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    That is my experience. I'm going to try this from 95sle - if it doesn't work I'll look into Adam's Super VRT. I already have 303 so Adam's Super VRT will be a added expense. Thanks.

"I spray some on the cover and some on a folded over utility microfiber towel. I work it into the cover using a circular motion. I do this twice wiping off any excess 303 and let it dry in the sun. The second pass helps to mask the circular patterns on the cover. When it dries the color should be uniform on the entire cover. I usually do the application every other wash. "

18. Jul 12, 2014 at 4:14 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    I must also add that I do keep the Tacoma in a garage so it is not outside all the time.

19. Jul 12, 2014 at 5:17 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    I need to organize my stuff so I can be like you and keep the Tacoma in a garage so it is not outside all the time. Nah - that's not happening.:(

20. Jul 12, 2014 at 5:21 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    There is a lot to be said for pulling into the garage when it is raining, getting out and walking into the house dry.

Products Discussed in

To Top