1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

*Official* Ask A Detailer Thread

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by mShu7, May 12, 2008.

1. May 12, 2008 at 5:25 PM
    mShu7

mShu7 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Brownsburg, IN
    None
    Ok, here it is. Sorry it has taken me so long to get this on here. I'll start by listing basic information. Most of this information I have copied/pasted from my website to this thread. Most of the product recommendations can be purchased from AutoGeek.net. If you place an order for $75 or more, use coupon code AGO to receive free ground shipping. If you should have any questions after reading my material, please feel free to ask.

Please understand that I am a full-time detailer so sometimes I may not be able to respond very quickly. I'll try my best to answer all the questions that get posted though.

Paint Care 101

Step 1: Wash
    This is simply one of the most important steps to keeping a vehicle in good condition. However, if not done properly, it can actually cause harm to the paint and other surfaces.

Contrary to many beliefs, dish soap is not safe to use on an automobile. Over time, non-automotive soap will dry out and fade the paint, trim, rubber, and other plastics on the exterior of your vehicle. Dish soap will also remove any existing wax or sealant, leaving the exterior unprotected. High-quality automotive shampoos are formulated with lubricants to help lift away dirt without causing scratches and swirls in the paint. They also contain conditioning oils to maintain or even enhance the shine without removing any wax or sealant that may be present on the paint. Along with quality automotive shampoo, Driven uses filtered soft water to prevent hard water spotting.

Using the wrong type of wash mitt can easily induce more scratches and swirls. Sheepskin or lambswool wash mitts are very soft and will help lift away dirt particles instead of dragging them across the paint. Combined with an automotive shampoo that is rich with lubricants and conditioning oils, a quality wash mitt will ensure a scratch-free wash.

Just like dish soap, bath towels are not suitable for automotive paint. What most people don’t know is that bath towels contain heavy polyester threading that can scratch automotive paint. Pound for pound, polyester thread is stronger than steel. If you care about the appearance of your car, you definitely do not want to be using bath towels on your paint. The best type of drying towel is a Waffle weave microfiber towel. These plush towels are able to absorb large amounts of water while also being soft enough to not scratch or mar the paint during the drying process.

Recommended Traditional Washes
    -Over the Counter-
    1 - 2 - 3 - -Boutique-
    1 - 2 - Recommended Rinse-less Washes (no hose required)
    -Boutique-
    1 - (ONR)
    *Demo video:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=vR8z8boxPXw

Recommended Wash Media
    1 - 2 - Recommended Microfiber Towels
    -Over the Counter-
    1 - Vroom brand towels from Target

-Boutique-
    1 - Recommended Wheel/Tire Cleaners
    -Over the Counter-
    1 - Meguiar's All-Wheel Cleaner

-Boutique-
    1 - 2 - Recommended Tire Shine
    -Over the Counter-
    1 - 2 - -Boutique-
    1 - 2 - Recommended Trim Protectants
    -Boutique-
    1 - Recommended Glass Cleaners
    -Over the Counter-
    1 - 2 - 3 - Step 2: Clay
    Automotive clay is one of the best tools in the detailing world, yet it is often overlooked. Washing alone cannot remove the contaminants that clay can remove. The purpose of automotive clay is to remove contaminants that have bonded to the paint. Rail dust from shipping trains, fallout from factories, bug splatter, tree sap, brake dust, and paint overspray are all examples of bonded contaminants.

Detailing clay is similar to Silly Putty® and is small enough to knead in the palm of your hand. Once a vehicle is properly washed, a clay lubricant is sprayed onto the surface of the paint.

The clay is then worked back and forth across the area, removing the bonded contaminants. This process is repeated over the entire painted surface of the vehicle. Although it is a tedious process, the paint is left feeling as smooth as glass.

The next time your vehicle is washed, slide your hand over the hood of the car. Those bumps and rough areas you feel are bonded contaminants. These contaminants act like small splinters in the paint. After a clay bar treatment, the paint surface is noticeably smoother. You'll want to run your hand over the paint all the time!

Recommended Clay Bar Kits
    1 - Clay Magic
    2 - 3 - Step 3: Polish
    Many people, even product manufacturers, use the term polish and wax interchangeably, which is incorrect. A polish is a product that is used to remove different levels of swirls or scratches in automotive paint. It is also used to restore or enhance the shine of the paint. A true polish offers no protection from the environment. This is where a wax or sealant comes into play, but we’ll discuss both of these products further down the page.

There are a few different types of polishes. Some include mild to moderate abrasives that help to remove varying levels of swirls and scratches in paint. Other polishes contain no abrasives and are solely intended to rejuvenate and restore the shine and brilliance of the paint.

A swirl mark or scratch is basically a sharp valley in the paint's surface. When light shines onto the paint, it refracts off the edges of each valley. An abrasive polish helps to lessen or even eliminate those valleys.

Swirls can be caused by a number of things such as improper washing techniques or automatic car washes. This is why the right washing products and techniques are vital to keeping the paint looking its best.

A lot of people are turned off by the thought of abrasives being used on paint because they think that it will just do more harm than good. In fact, with the right amount of abrasives in a polish and the right tools to apply the polish, those abrasives actually work to eliminate swirls and scratches instead of inducing them. However, if the paint has enough swirls and scratches, multiple polishing steps may be necessary. After proper polishing, the paint should be defect-free (or close to it), and shine better than the day it rolled off the showroom floor.

Another factor to consider regarding swirls is the hardness of the clear coat paint layer. Some vehicles have a very soft clear coat. This means that the surface of the paint will swirl or scratch easily. The upside to soft clear coats is that it typically takes a less abrasive polish and less polishing steps to correct. Other vehicles have a very hard clear coat. This means that the surface of the paint is more resistant to swirls and scratches. However, if the paint does become swirled or scratched, a more abrasive polish must be used and multiple steps of polishing may be necessary. Depending on the severity of the swirls and the hardness of the clear coat paint layer, some swirls may still remain.

If a scratch is deep enough in the paint, it may not be repairable by polishing. The general rule of thumb is that if you run your fingernail over a scratch and it catches on the scratch, polishing cannot fix it. The reason for this is that the scratch is so deep that it has passed through the paint. When this happens, the scratch can only be fixed with touch-up paint or a complete re-painting of the panel.

Another type of paint defect you may have seen is oxidized or faded paint. This can be quite noticeable on dark vehicles such as black or red. If the paint looks chalky or just doesn’t shine, a polish can improve or completely restore the shine that once was by removing the “dead” paint.

Any one of these paint defects will degrade the paints' gloss, depth, and clarity. While these kinds of defects are more noticeable on dark colored vehicles (especially when viewed under full sun), they are common on all vehicles that are not properly cared for.

Recommended Polishes
    -Over the Counter-
    1 - 2 - -Boutique Brands-
    1 - 2 - 3 - 4 -

2. May 12, 2008 at 5:26 PM
    mShu7

Member:
    Brownsburg, IN
    None
    Step 4: Protect

Today, there are two basic options for protecting paint - Waxes or sealants. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.

Carnauba wax has been around for decades. It is derived from a tree found in Brazil. Carnauba wax is nature’s hardest, purest, and most transparent wax. The wax helps to create a deep, wet-looking shine that is often described as three-dimensional. Enthusiasts who show their vehicles prefer the look of a Carnauba wax for these traits. Due to the oils contained in Carnauba wax, it better protects against bird droppings and bug splatter versus a sealant. However, because it has a low melting point (about 180˚), it does not protect as long as a sealant, especially during the summer months. You can expect one to two months of maximum protection from a single application of a Carnauba wax, depending on the environment of the vehicle.

Sealants were created by scientists to mimic the properties of a Carnauba wax while improving upon its limitations – mainly the durability. The look of a sealant differs from that of Carnauba wax. While Carnauba wax gives off a deep, wet look, a sealant gives off a clear, glassy look. The main advantage of a sealant is its long-lasting protection. While a sealant is more expensive than Carnauba wax, you can expect three to six months of maximum protection depending on the environment in which the vehicle resides.

Recommended Waxes
    -Over the Counter-
    1 - -Boutique-
    1 - 2 - 3 - or 4 - 5 - 6 - Clearkote Carnauba Moose Wax

Recommended Sealants
    -Over the Counter-
    1 - 2 - -Boutique-
    1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - Step 5: Maintain

Once your car has been restored to look like a car that just rolled off the showroom floor, the key is to maintain the look and keep it protected from the elements. One way to do this is to wash it frequently. This does not mean that you should run your detailed car through an automatic car wash. Instead, your car should receive a gentle hand wash to keep it looking great.

Washing at least once every two weeks will keep contaminants such as dirt, road grime, bird droppings, and bug splatter from settling on the paint and potentially bonding to it as well. Left on your paint for an extended period of time, bird droppings, bug splatter, and even hard water from sprinklers can permanently etch your paint. It is very important to remove these types of contaminants as soon as possible.

Along with frequent washing, it's important to keep your vehicle protected from the elements. While it is not a replacement for a dedicated wax or sealant, a spray wax is a great way to boost the protection of an existing wax or sealant that is already present on the surface. A spray wax also boosts the visual appearance of the paint by giving it that "just waxed" look and feel.

Recommended Quick Detailers
    -Over the Counter-
    1 - 2 - 3 - -Boutique-
    1 - 2 - Clearkote Quik Shine
    3 - Optimum No Rinse (cut 6oz. per gallon)

Recommended Spray Waxes/Sealants
    -Over the Counter-
    1 - 2 - -Boutique-
    1 - 2 -

mic_sierra, Tacopycho, HPPH and 22 others like this.
  3. May 12, 2008 at 5:40 PM
    mShu7

Member:
    Brownsburg, IN
    None
    Interior Care 101

Recommended Carpet/Fabric Cleaner
    -Over the Counter-
    1 - 2 - Folex

-Boutique-
    1 - BioKleen Traffic Lane Cleaner
    2 - Recommended Carpet/Fabric Protectants
    -Boutique-
    1 - Recommended Vinyl/Plastic Cleaner
    -Over the Counter-
    1 - Woolite & Water (cut 10:1)
    2 - Recommended Vinyl/Plastic Protectants
    -Boutique-
    1 - 2 - -Boutique-
    1 - (cut 10:1)
    2 - Recommended Leather Cleaners/Conditioners
    -Over the Counter-
    1 - Woolite & Water (cut 10:1)
    2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - -Boutique-
    1 - (cut 10:1)
    2 - 3 - 4 -

4. May 12, 2008 at 5:44 PM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    Thanks a lot mshu (rep added), gotta say this thread must become a sticky.... anyways, i have none of the products you mention above....i bought the best stuff i found in local walmart.....

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/detailing/8884-bought-some-stuff-washing.html

i have a question though.... the stealership put teflon on my tacoma before i got it, what could be the problems in clayin/polishing waxing if i have the teflon???

5. May 12, 2008 at 5:50 PM
    mShu7

Member:
    Brownsburg, IN
    None
    eordonez - No problem. I like to help whenever I can. Go ahead and use the products you already purchase. When they are gone, upgrade to ones I've listed :).

As far as your question is concerned, honestly, stealership offerings like that are scams. Since Teflon has to be baked on, there's no way they put any kind of teflon coating on the vehicle. They probably used some sort of cheap, bulk sealant and applied it to the surface just like you or I would. Don't let them fool you. That stuff doesn't stand up to their lavish claims. To properly maintain your vehicle, you need to do ALL 5 steps at least twice a year. In between that, wash weekly or bi-weekly. Wax or seal monthly or as often as you can.

Hope this helps.

Driftfish and MD Yot like this.
  6. May 12, 2008 at 5:53 PM
    eordonez

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Very good! i will try to follow the list, thanks a lot! :D

7. May 12, 2008 at 6:05 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Hi mShu 7-I was wondering what your opinion is on "Klasse" auto sealant. I've been using it on my vehicles since the late 80's. I apply it 3 times a year. I never use any kind of soaps-just plain hot water to wash. My truck is 7 yrs old now and you can see in the photos it still looks new and the color is deep. Thanks for your thoughts:)

8. May 12, 2008 at 6:09 PM
    eordonez

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    BTW..... Check mshu's web, it has a lot of great pictures

9. May 12, 2008 at 7:46 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    I wonder why he didn't answer me?:confused:

10. May 12, 2008 at 8:00 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    he will when he gets back on......i think he had logged out early.

11. May 12, 2008 at 8:14 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    OK Will anyway I saw he has Klasse in his suggestions so he obviously approves.

12. May 12, 2008 at 8:18 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    definitely......klasse is some awesome stuff indeed!!

13. May 13, 2008 at 6:44 AM
    Buffalofan

Buffalofan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma V6 SR5 TRD Package Lunar Mist
    mShu7..I just bought the Zymol HD Cleanse. It is supposed to work the same as a clay bar but without the abrasiveness. What are your thoughts on this product?

14. May 13, 2008 at 12:38 PM
    mShu7

Member:
    Brownsburg, IN
    None
    Ridgerunner - Klasse Sealant Glaze is great. Although, application can be difficult. KSG is one of the most durable sealants out there. With that said though, I still would use soap when you wash your car. Otherwise, you have no lubrication between the paint and your wash mitt. When there is little to no lubrication, you get swirls and scratches. That is where an automotive shampoo comes into play. Meguiar's Gold Class is a great gentle wash with good lubrication.

15. May 13, 2008 at 12:42 PM
    mShu7

Member:
    Brownsburg, IN
    None
    Buffalofan - Unfortuantely, I have no experience with Zymol products. You may be able to get answers from the folks at Autopia.org or DetailingBliss.com.

With that said though, I believe there's no replacement for what clay provides. I think it's one of the most important steps. Claying will make polishing paint much easier to polish or wax/seal. And if you're just waxing or sealing after clay, the wax/sealant will bond to a contaminant-free surface which will provide better bonding between the paint and the product.

ca08tacoma likes this.
  16. May 27, 2008 at 4:45 PM
    RWDUNKY

RWDUNKY Member

Member:
    moline il
    Vehicle:
    08 TACOMA REG CAB 4x4
    bed extender, cruise control, intermittent wipers, hood protector. 4x4 emblem off of a tundra on tailgate.
    mShu7
    could you answer a few questions please.
    I'M getting a new 08 tacoma
    should i clay bar, polish and wax a new truck?
    and what are the best products to use that i can get from the
    local auto parts or department stores.
    thank you rwdunky

17. May 27, 2008 at 5:01 PM
    mShu7

Member:
    Brownsburg, IN
    None
    RWDUNKY -

YES!!! Despite what people think, new vehicles need detailed just like any other vehicles. When I bought my truck, I spent about 10 hours detailing the inside and out. It made a huge difference.

When vehicles get shipped (esp. foreign made vehicles), lots of contaminates bond to the paint (ie - rail dust). This is why it is important to clay. If the dealer has done any prepping of the vehicle (washing, waxing, etc.) you're probably going to need to polish it to get rid of any light swirls or scratches. Once you've done those two steps, it's very important to keep it protected. Refer to my first post in this thread for my OTC (over the counter) product recommendations.

Good luck! Feel free to ask more questions if you think of any.

tacotoe and Taco_y_Cerveza like this.
  18. May 27, 2008 at 5:28 PM
    Anthony

Anthony San Antonio Detailer :)

Member:
    Houston - Spring/Tomball area
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner access cab 2.7L M5
    Nfabs Afe Pro Dry UWS linex'd toolbox
    megs scratch x isnt really a polish, its more of a "filler", one of the worst OTC products you can buy. a polish has to have some sort of abrasiveness to it and polishing by hand is a waste of time.
    no way you can duplicate the effect of a polish + random orbital or the similar type machine.

19. May 27, 2008 at 6:22 PM
    RWDUNKY

RWDUNKY Member

Member:
    moline il
    Vehicle:
    08 TACOMA REG CAB 4x4
    bed extender, cruise control, intermittent wipers, hood protector. 4x4 emblem off of a tundra on tailgate.
    mShu7
    thanks for the quick reply
    I do have another question
    would a 6 inch orbital buffer with a foam pad be ok to apply the polish and wax. I think the buffer spins at 4000 orbits per minute.
    They also sell a terry cloth bonnet, a wax applicator bonnet and a wool
    bonnet. It's on sale at a locks home improvement store for $13.00
    thank you
    rwdunky

20. May 27, 2008 at 6:34 PM
    bowzerdoo77

bowzerdoo77 U.S.M.C.

Member:
    North Ogden Utah
    Vehicle:
    1997 REG CAB 4x4
    None
    I have a question too. I wash my truck like 3 times a week how often can I wax it without striping the old wax off? my truck is white and I wonder if i keep it up it might yellow so am I crazy or should I strip it off? and what do I use to do that DISH SOAP??? like dawn.. thanks

Tim 2020 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top