1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mud vs. Clearcoat

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by TacoCo, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Jun 6, 2010 at 11:41 AM
    TacoCo

TacoCo [OP] Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    So, I was off-roading yesterday afternoon and got into some black, sticky, organic mud. I didn't have a chance to get my truck washed last night, so I went this morning to take care of it. Once I got it dry, I noticed spots in the clearcoat where the mud was. All over the hood, front fenders and doors. The mud appears to have etched the clearcoat :frusty: I've got a little bottle of some fairly abrasive compound, and that seems to work, but I'm going to need a lot more. It takes quite a bit of elbow grease to get the spots out, and I'm worried about rubbing through the clear coat. What's the best way to go about fixing this, and does anyone have a compound they could recommend?

[​IMG]

2. Jun 6, 2010 at 11:46 AM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    clay bar.

3. Jun 6, 2010 at 11:46 AM
    dylandercole

dylandercole Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers, 1.5'' AAL, 1'' toytec shackle lift, Go-Rhino 3000 Grille Guard, Kicker KS6502 speakers, JVC KD-S24 Head unit, billstein 5125 rear shocks, Deck Plate mod, K&N air filter, Wheelers offroad front and rear braided brake lines, diff breather mod, power slot rotors, ebc yellow stuff pads
    I use mud as my clearcoat

4. Jun 6, 2010 at 11:48 AM
    TacoCo

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    Will a clay bar take out etchings in the clear coat? I thought it would just remove dirt from the surface?

5. Jun 7, 2010 at 6:59 AM
    Gooch

Gooch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    My guess is that the mineral content in the mud etched your paint. Kind of like hard water spots.

First thing to do is to throw out your compound. Nasty stuff. Takes off way too much paint.

Use a high-quality micro-abrasive polish like Meguiar's M205, SYSTEM ONE X3, CSI Cut N Polish, or one of the Menzerna polishes.

In any case, it will be a lot of work without a buffer.

6. Jun 22, 2010 at 1:39 PM
    TacoCo

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    :( Yeah, I think that's the case. I tried some polish without a buffer, and didn't get very far. My arm is going to fall off by the time I get it buffed out if I do it by hand.

Products Discussed in

To Top