Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Debadging

Old 05-31-2008, 08:05 PM   #1
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Debadging

I think this might be the right spot for this-

I want to debadge my '08TDR (Tacoma (X2) on the doors in chrome, and Tacoma and Toyota on the tailgate in chrome, TRD sticker on the quarter planels)

Are these easy removed with no lasting imprint or staining?? Or are the clipped into the body?
Any good products to clean off residue??
Old 05-31-2008, 08:13 PM   #2
Revived and BACK baby!
joedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant future

Army: Squad Automatic Rifleman, 29th Light Infantry
joedirt's Tacoma Gallery
They are taped on with some very hardy tape. I used dental floss, but it kept breaking and I switched over to the plastic scrapers they sell in the paint dept. You could try fishing line, I've heard people have had sucess with that. For the sticker on the side, you need to heat it up a bit to get it to come off. I used my wife's hairdryer. You don't want to heat it up too hot though. Once you get it started, heat just in front of where you're pulling it off. If done correctly, 95% of the tape residue will come off with the sticker. I used cleaner wax to get rid off the residue that was left on mine.

If you go the plastic scraper route, I put two layers of that blue painters tape around the whole emblem so the scraper wouldn't dig into the paint. The emblem sits off the body just enough to wiggle the tape up against the emblem tape.

And take your time and don't rush it.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:18 PM   #3
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedirt View Post
They are taped on with some very hardy tape. I used dental floss, but it kept breaking and I switched over to the plastic scrapers they sell in the paint dept. You could try fishing line, I've heard people have had sucess with that. For the sticker on the side, you need to heat it up a bit to get it to come off. I used my wife's hairdryer. You don't want to heat it up too hot though. Once you get it started, heat just in front of where you're pulling it off. If done correctly, 95% of the tape residue will come off with the sticker. I used cleaner wax to get rid off the residue that was left on mine.

If you go the plastic scraper route, I put two layers of that blue painters tape around the whole emblem so the scraper wouldn't dig into the paint. The emblem sits off the body just enough to wiggle the tape up against the emblem tape.

And take your time and don't rush it.
YOU are a gentleman and a scholar- I owe you a beer. I don't mind sitting and working on stuff like this for HOURS...and the wife will appreciate the way it looks...I know what I'll be doing this week while she's gone on business.

Thanks again!!
Old 05-31-2008, 08:30 PM   #4
Revived and BACK baby!
joedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant future

joedirt's Tacoma Gallery
If you are planning to replace those emblems and stickers with something different, look up sockmonkey. The man is a god when it comes to new vinyl.

I like Bass or Newcastle Brown.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:54 PM   #6
Revived and BACK baby!

joedirt's Tacoma Gallery
This is what sock did for me:

Plus the vinyl for the lower bumper:

Old 06-18-2008, 11:19 AM   #8
Wave rider
BlueSilver will become famous soon enough
BlueSilver's Tacoma Gallery
As a detailer I've taken a lot of decals and stickers off with a heat gun. A lot setting is best, not too close. It will heat them up enough to come off like they were never there. Just be careful if you use a heat gun on painted plastic. I've taken the paint right off with the sticker on the bumper of a mustang. Was a used car trade in, so... hey it was there before I got it
Old 06-18-2008, 11:35 AM   #9
"Living life in the FAST lane..."
05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 05PreRunner
Fishing line works great for removing the emblems! Just use your fingernails to peel off the rubber/glue thats left. Then use GOO-GONE to remove any remaining glue marks.....
HERE'S MY DEBADGED TAILGATE:
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-18-2008, 11:41 AM   #10
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05PreRunner View Post
Fishing line works great for removing the emblems! Just use your fingernails to peel off the rubber/glue thats left. Then use GOOF-OFF to remove any remaining glue marks.....
HERE'S MY DEBADGED TAILGATE:
[IMG][/IMG]

very nice!!

I WANT to do it!
Old 06-18-2008, 11:48 AM   #11
"Living life in the FAST lane..."
05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 05PreRunner
You should.....I think it looks a lot better, before the tailgate looked busy/cluttered.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:17 PM   #12
my2coma is on a distinguished road

my2coma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedirt View Post

Plus the vinyl for the lower bumper:

I like the way the grill is painted.... that looks nice.

BTW.... How do you get hold of socmonkey? All I get on google is those goofy monkeys made out of a sock....
Old 06-19-2008, 03:47 PM   #14

my2coma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridingontrd View Post
Sock is a member here & at TN.

Ah ha.... now dont I feel silly

I will look him up.....

Thanks,
Old 06-19-2008, 04:36 PM   #15
L8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant future

Air Force: Retired
L8Rmike's Tacoma Gallery
Don't forget to ace the mud flaps.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:17 PM   #16
TRD
NotstockTRD is a jewel in the roughNotstockTRD is a jewel in the roughNotstockTRD is a jewel in the roughNotstockTRD is a jewel in the rough

NotstockTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I used a heat gun and a plastic razorblade, however i had to remove the oxidized outline of the badges with a buffer-looks sick! take your TIME!!!
Old 06-20-2008, 11:28 AM   #17
Wave rider
BlueSilver will become famous soon enough
BlueSilver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Rmike View Post
Don't forget to ace the mud flaps.

I hate people with trucks that have no mud flaps. Why do you arseholes f-up everyone else's cars with rock chips???? I almost had a rock go through my windshield once directly in front of my face. Completely destroyed my windshield. I wanted to murder that truck's driver..
Old 06-20-2008, 01:09 PM   #18

my2coma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSilver View Post
I hate people with trucks that have no mud flaps. Why do you arseholes f-up everyone else's cars with rock chips???? I almost had a rock go through my windshield once directly in front of my face. Completely destroyed my windshield. I wanted to murder that truck's driver..
Mud flaps aren't going to always catch the rocks.... I hated the way they made my truck look.... and we all know its about looks
Old 06-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #19
CometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the rough
CometKat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05PreRunner View Post
Fishing line works great for removing the emblems! Just use your fingernails to peel off the rubber/glue thats left. Then use GOOF-OFF to remove any remaining glue marks.....
I used this method today. Itís quick and easy. I would add that heating the badge with a hairdryer helped speed the process. Also the sooner you get rid of the badges the better. If you wait a few years there may be a shadow or water marks or whatever.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:26 PM   #20
CometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the rough
CometKat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSilver View Post
My mud flaps are gone. However I would have kept them if they werenít such pieces of crap. Just read the other threads on their lack of durability. Just yesterday I was at Home Depot and there was a clean looking Tacoma with three of the four mud flaps broken off. The Tacoma has good fender coverage when not lifted so the mud flaps are unnecessary anyway.