Notices

DIY: Badge Removal/Painting/Installation

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #221
Monohan89 is on a distinguished road

Army: infantryman 101st airborne division
Name: Kristian
Monohan89's Tacoma Gallery
Ok so I did my grille flat balcony last night.. now I'm taking the badges off the truck and starting that process tonight.... If I understand correctly all I need to do is heat them a little get fish string, or something to peel them off then us alcohol and wd-40 to take the residue of but I want my my emblems to be flat black and I'm pretty sure that if I put some sort of clearcoat to seal itup that it will give it a glossy look...so is there anything I can use to seal up the paint?
Old 04-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #222
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monohan89 View Post
Ok so I did my grille flat balcony last night.. now I'm taking the badges off the truck and starting that process tonight.... If I understand correctly all I need to do is heat them a little get fish string, or something to peel them off then us alcohol and wd-40 to take the residue of but I want my my emblems to be flat black and I'm pretty sure that if I put some sort of clearcoat to seal itup that it will give it a glossy look...so is there anything I can use to seal up the paint?
HomeDepot sells a Matte Clear paint
Old 04-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #223
livinglegend20 is on a distinguished road

Name: Art
livinglegend20's Tacoma Gallery
def what I needed, I just took mine off today and the outline of the letters are still there and I cant get them off, Ill try windex and then if not, goo gone.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #224
I'm 10 years old but I'll still BEAT your ass!!
TacoLovR is on a distinguished road

Name: Nat
TacoLovR's Tacoma Gallery
Givin it a try

After reading this great write up I decided to head to HD and get supplies. I wanted to start with my chrome bed trim first just to see how well I do it before going to emblems. Posting pics, before, during and after. Let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Badge Removal/Painting/Installation-photo-2-2-.jpg   DIY: Badge Removal/Painting/Installation-photo-1-7-.jpg   DIY: Badge Removal/Painting/Installation-photo-1-3-.jpg   DIY: Badge Removal/Painting/Installation-photo-2-7-.jpg   DIY: Badge Removal/Painting/Installation-photo-4-3-.jpg  

Old 05-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #225
Yeti Hunter
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
Just finished debadging my truck. Those damn gel letters sucked to do, of course after cutting about 3 letters in half I found some thinner fishing line and had no issues after.
Used 3M general purpose adhesive remover instead of windex/wd-40.
Used this guys rubbing compound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashsplat View Post
It worked!
The stuff I bought was: Meguiar's Ultimate Compound.

- Flashy
Worked like a charm.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #226
Just a desert dude.
XIGUNHAWKIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXIGUNHAWKIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXIGUNHAWKIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXIGUNHAWKIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXIGUNHAWKIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXIGUNHAWKIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXIGUNHAWKIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXIGUNHAWKIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXIGUNHAWKIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXIGUNHAWKIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXIGUNHAWKIX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
XIGUNHAWKIX's Tacoma Gallery
Just finished painting mine, thanks for the write up! It was super-helpful
Old 05-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #227
Datsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Datsik's Tacoma Gallery
If you are looking for a matte black emblem look I recommend using plasti dip which can be purchased at home depot, ace hardware...etc. If you are unfamiliar with plasti dip check it out at dipmycar.com. You can literally paint the emblems while on the truck after taping the area off an then peel off the excess. Super easy and cheap. The cans run about 5 bucks a pop.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #228
Just a desert dude.
XIGUNHAWKIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXIGUNHAWKIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXIGUNHAWKIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXIGUNHAWKIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXIGUNHAWKIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXIGUNHAWKIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXIGUNHAWKIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXIGUNHAWKIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXIGUNHAWKIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXIGUNHAWKIX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXIGUNHAWKIX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
XIGUNHAWKIX's Tacoma Gallery
Damn, I already committed to it. I'll def keep that in mind for next time though. The whole fishing line thing got old pretty quick, couldn't get a hair dryer on them cause the damn driveway was blocked...
Old 05-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #229
Datsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Datsik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XIGUNHAWKIX View Post
Damn, I already committed to it. I'll def keep that in mind for next time though. The whole fishing line thing got old pretty quick, couldn't get a hair dryer on them cause the damn driveway was blocked...
Oh for sure. Yah the best method no doubt is to use a hair dryer. Worked the best for me. The website btw is dipyourcar.com not dipmycar.com and I also just noticed a huge thread dedicated to plasti dipping.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #231
mtxsub is on a distinguished road

mtxsub's Tacoma Gallery
have you hear of plastic dip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgage10 View Post

Items Needed:

-Masking Tape (Any size will do)
-Scissors or Snips
-Fishing Line
-Blow Dryer
-Goo Gone or WD-40
-Windex
-Towel (Recommend Micro Fiber)
-Plastic Bonding Spray Paint
-Clear Coat (Optional but recommended for durability)
-Two sided tape (Recommend 3M brand)
-Your Favorite Cold Beverage

1. Tape around the perimeter of badge you will be removing in order to put it back on in the same location.

2. Cut a piece of fishing line approximately 2 Feet in length. Heat the badge with blow dryer in a horizontal motion (the blow dryer does not get hot enough to damage paint so do not worry). Once the badge is hot, place the fishing line behind the badge and move in a horizontal motion until the badge is removed. If this motion becomes difficult, reheat the badge and continue.

3. Clean the paint where the badge was with Windex and towel. If there is a sticky residue, use Goo Gone or WD-40 (Neither will harm paint. Just wipe off after).

4. Remove tape from the back of badges, clean thoroughly (Water and dish soap with a good rinse will do). Then dry thoroughly.

5. Paint badges (2-3 coats or until complete coverage) and allow appropriate drying time (15-30 minutes).

6. Apply clear coat (2-3 Coats) and allow 24-48 hours to cure (the can says 15 minutes, but it is not dry by then and will leave finger prints).

7. Cut and place two sided tape on backside of badges.

8. Clean surface with Windex and towel. Install badges.

9. Remove tape and clean around badges.

10. Finish off your favorite cold beverage and admire your work.
you could have used plastic dip.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:52 AM   #232
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chad
Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone use a heat gun on the lowest setting? Or should I just stick to the hairdryer method? Just don't want my fiance' to flip out if she finds out I'm using her hairdryer and then start giving me the whole "why are you wasting money on tools you don't use" speech, i.e. the heat gun. lol
Old 07-14-2012, 11:03 AM   #234
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chad
Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFirefighter View Post
Use the right tools for the right job. Leave the heat gun and use the hair dryer.
Trust me.
Haha. sounds good man. I'll stick with the hair dryer. Thanks
Old 07-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #235
tacoLvR10 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Petty Officer 2nd class
tacoLvR10's Tacoma Gallery
Good write up and thanks for the help. Heres my finished result.
[/IMG]
Old 07-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #236
tacoLvR10 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Petty Officer 2nd class
tacoLvR10's Tacoma Gallery
Old 07-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #237
Alaskan is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
Alaskan's Tacoma Gallery
nice
Old 07-15-2012, 12:11 PM   #238
canoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to behold

Name: Bill
canoeski's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiend13 View Post
Anyone use a heat gun on the lowest setting? Or should I just stick to the hairdryer method? Just don't want my fiance' to flip out if she finds out I'm using her hairdryer and then start giving me the whole "why are you wasting money on tools you don't use" speech, i.e. the heat gun. lol
I used a hair drier on high setting at 20°F in January! Slide a PLASTIC paint scraper gently under them while moving the heat along and they pop right off. All emblems off in 20 min; and not going back on. The glue cleaned up with 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover (could use lacquer thinner too)
Old 07-17-2012, 07:59 AM   #239
BDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really nice

Name: Brandon
BDJ's Tacoma Gallery
Badge Color

I just got a 2012 TRD O/R MGM and I'm not a fan of the chrome badges. I like the green that Pr3dator has on his MGM but I don't want to copy that same color. I'm am on the Fence between just going black or going with a dark/deep green. What you guys think?
Old 07-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #240
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDJ View Post
I just got a 2012 TRD O/R MGM and I'm not a fan of the chrome badges. I like the green that Pr3dator has on his MGM but I don't want to copy that same color. I'm am on the Fence between just going black or going with a dark/deep green. What you guys think?

Anything but black or chrome badges will be unique. Go for it. I'm eventually going with burnt orange.

Products Discussed in this Thread