Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

DIY: Badge Removal/Painting/Installation

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2012, 07:59 AM   #241
BDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really nice

Name: Brandon
BDJ's Tacoma Gallery
Badge Color

I just got a 2012 TRD O/R MGM and I'm not a fan of the chrome badges. I like the green that Pr3dator has on his MGM but I don't want to copy that same color. I'm am on the Fence between just going black or going with a dark/deep green. What you guys think?
Old 07-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #242
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDJ View Post
I just got a 2012 TRD O/R MGM and I'm not a fan of the chrome badges. I like the green that Pr3dator has on his MGM but I don't want to copy that same color. I'm am on the Fence between just going black or going with a dark/deep green. What you guys think?

Anything but black or chrome badges will be unique. Go for it. I'm eventually going with burnt orange.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #243
BDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really nice

BDJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
Anything but black or chrome badges will be unique. Go for it. I'm eventually going with burnt orange.
A friend of mine told me to go orange, but I think I'll let you go orange while I go green. Let me know how your turns out.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #246
Silver DCLB is on a distinguished road

Name: Jonathan
Silver DCLB's Tacoma Gallery
good write up man.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:55 AM   #247
rossivey is on a distinguished road
rossivey's Tacoma Gallery
I'm definitely doing this but I'd rather try a truck bed coating than just plasti-dip or flat black. Anyone tried that yet?
Old 07-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #248
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDJ View Post
A friend of mine told me to go orange, but I think I'll let you go orange while I go green. Let me know how your turns out.
Orange is definately a stand out color, especially with the color of your truck. I think the green will look great. Are you going with a hunter green, or something lighter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossivey View Post
I'm definitely doing this but I'd rather try a truck bed coating than just plasti-dip or flat black. Anyone tried that yet?
I think that the bed coating will look awesome. I am going to hit my spare set of wheels with that. I think your only concern will be the thickness of the coating. So maybe test it out on an emblem that you could possibly do with out, like the v6 emblem or something like that to see how you like it.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #249
I'm 10 years old but I'll still BEAT your ass!!
TacoLovR is on a distinguished road

Name: Nat
TacoLovR's Tacoma Gallery
My Badges

Thoughts?
Its Bright Pink, the picture kinda makes it look orange.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Badge Removal/Painting/Installation-photo-3.jpg   DIY: Badge Removal/Painting/Installation-photo-4.jpg  
Old 07-30-2012, 06:04 AM   #251

BDJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
Orange is definately a stand out color, especially with the color of your truck. I think the green will look great. Are you going with a hunter green, or something lighter?

I think that the bed coating will look awesome. I am going to hit my spare set of wheels with that. I think your only concern will be the thickness of the coating. So maybe test it out on an emblem that you could possibly do with out, like the v6 emblem or something like that to see how you like it.
It'll be Hunter green if I can ever find the time to sit down and do it.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #253
TacomaChris has a spectacular aura aboutTacomaChris has a spectacular aura about

TacomaChris's Tacoma Gallery
I just did mine with the Krylon Fusion in Satin Black...looks sweet. I also bought some satin clear. I tested some of the clear on another piece of plastic I had painted black...it looked foggy in spots...not sure if I'll put the clear on or not

EDIT: Strangely enough, the white milky color went away on my test piece and the satin clear looks fine...I think it's time for me to put some clear over these things
Old 09-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #255
TacomaChris has a spectacular aura aboutTacomaChris has a spectacular aura about

TacomaChris's Tacoma Gallery
DON'T USE KRYLON FUSION CLEAR ON THESE...I thought mine was ok but the clear really screwed my badges up...left them foggy and bubbly. The black was great...the clear sucked a fat one so now I'm gonna start from scratch. I got so pissed I threw them in the trash.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #256
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaChris View Post
DON'T USE KRYLON FUSION CLEAR ON THESE...I thought mine was ok but the clear really screwed my badges up...left them foggy and bubbly. The black was great...the clear sucked a fat one so now I'm gonna start from scratch. I got so pissed I threw them in the trash.
I pretty much use Rustolem all round unless I need to paint match something or the Rustolem doesn't come in a certain color
Old 11-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #257
tkbriggs is on a distinguished road
Name: Trevor
tkbriggs's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the write up, now I have something to do.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #258
Pro Tech
SaveAHoRideATACO is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 15th Security Police Squadron, Hickam AFB, Hawaii '91-'94
SaveAHoRideATACO's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone who has done this had any problems with the painted badges having the paint peel off after washing or at any other time? Considering doing this to my silver taco, just skeered?!
Old 01-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #259
Matthunter is on a distinguished road
Matthunter's Tacoma Gallery
What Paint?

So I am going to strip my emblems and paint them like you did, but I was thinking about using a couple coats of plasti dip with a clear coat over that? Would u suggest doing that or is that a bad idea? I did my grille emblem with it and it looks great! I figure it will last longer because It doesn't chip near as easily so it should last longer?
Old 01-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #260
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthunter View Post
So I am going to strip my emblems and paint them like you did, but I was thinking about using a couple coats of plasti dip with a clear coat over that? Would u suggest doing that or is that a bad idea? I did my grille emblem with it and it looks great! I figure it will last longer because It doesn't chip near as easily so it should last longer?
Theoretically it should hold up longer, but why not just paint them? Would you ever really go back to chrome?

Products Discussed in this Thread