LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

DIY: Badge Removal/Painting/Installation

Old 09-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #281
jcerion929rr is on a distinguished road
Name: Josh
jcerion929rr's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks so much for the DIY. . . did it with all of my emblems. I LOVE the way it looks on the front of the truck, but ever since taking the side and back emblems off I like how it looks without them. I'm now thinking of leaving them all off and just putting the red OEM TRD emblem on the back, a black TRD emblem on the grill and calling it a day.

If anyone is interested in some black emblems let me know. I haven't put the tape on the back yet, but can include it with them. I took them off, removed the adhesive, sanded them, cleaned them, coated them with adhesion promoting primer, then 3-4 coats of satin black, followed by 2-3 coats of matte clear (I wanted something in between satin and totally flat).
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Badge Removal/Painting/Installation-20130912_164559.jpg   DIY: Badge Removal/Painting/Installation-20130911_080004.jpg  
Old 09-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #282
jcerion929rr is on a distinguished road
Name: Josh
jcerion929rr's Tacoma Gallery
Only ones I decided not to use are the Toyota and V6. All else are no longer for sale. Sorry.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #284
Professional bear handler
MTopp has much to be proud ofMTopp has much to be proud ofMTopp has much to be proud ofMTopp has much to be proud ofMTopp has much to be proud ofMTopp has much to be proud ofMTopp has much to be proud ofMTopp has much to be proud ofMTopp has much to be proud ofMTopp has much to be proud of

Name: Matt
MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd for use in the summer
Old 01-18-2014, 05:00 PM   #285
Lindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lindsey
Lindsey Walrod's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgage10 View Post

Items Needed:

-Masking Tape (Any size will do)
-Scissors or Snips
-Fishing Line
-Blow Dryer
-Goo Gone or WD-40
-Windex
-Towel (Recommend Micro Fiber)
-Plastic Bonding Spray Paint
-Clear Coat (Optional but recommended for durability)
-Two sided tape (Recommend 3M brand)
-Your Favorite Cold Beverage

1. Tape around the perimeter of badge you will be removing in order to put it back on in the same location.

2. Cut a piece of fishing line approximately 2 Feet in length. Heat the badge with blow dryer in a horizontal motion (the blow dryer does not get hot enough to damage paint so do not worry). Once the badge is hot, place the fishing line behind the badge and move in a horizontal motion until the badge is removed. If this motion becomes difficult, reheat the badge and continue.

3. Clean the paint where the badge was with Windex and towel. If there is a sticky residue, use Goo Gone or WD-40 (Neither will harm paint. Just wipe off after).

4. Remove tape from the back of badges, clean thoroughly (Water and dish soap with a good rinse will do). Then dry thoroughly.

5. Paint badges (2-3 coats or until complete coverage) and allow appropriate drying time (15-30 minutes).

6. Apply clear coat (2-3 Coats) and allow 24-48 hours to cure (the can says 15 minutes, but it is not dry by then and will leave finger prints).

7. Cut and place two sided tape on backside of badges.

8. Clean surface with Windex and towel. Install badges.

9. Remove tape and clean around badges.

10. Finish off your favorite cold beverage and admire your work.
Just what I needed!
Old 01-18-2014, 05:12 PM   #286
Lindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lindsey
Lindsey Walrod's Tacoma Gallery
Imma go for plum crazy purple on my badges! Will putting purple over black make the purple darker? That's what I'm going for.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:34 PM   #287
TacoSupreme07 is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
TacoSupreme07's Tacoma Gallery
I know what im doing this weekend...
Old 04-09-2014, 08:52 PM   #288
Esckay has a spectacular aura aboutEsckay has a spectacular aura about
Name: Sean
Esckay's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd