1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY: Badge Removal/Painting/Installation

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by mgage10, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Jun 16, 2010 at 5:20 PM
    mgage10

mgage10 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 White Tacoma TRD Sport Long Bed 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s with Add-A-Leaf 18x9 XD Addicts on 285/65R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers G2 TRD Skid Plate Gray Husky Liners Venture Shield Clear Bra TRD Sport Pedals Seat Belt Alarm Disabled LED Map Lights (Cool White) LED Dome Light (Cool White) LED License Plate Lights (Cool White) White Engine Cover White Toyota FJ Grill Badge Viper 2 Way Alarm System Debadged Tailgate Fog Light Anytime Mod Window Tint Black Mesh Upper Grillcraft Black Mesh Lower Grillcraft Black Mesh Grillcraft Triangles Raven Speed Antenna AFE Stage 2 Pro-Dry S Intake Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers
    You guessed it buddy. I had tape on my truck for 2 or 3 days. It was thin tape so not too noticeable. IMO it's worth it to take your time and do it right the first time so you don't have to go back and do it again. I'd say this follows the "measure twice, cut once" theory to the T.

2. Jun 16, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    Jup, driving with thick tape since yesterday afternoon :) Tomorrow I'll attempt to tape off the black badges and add the red line (it's been 48hrs); then there is another day to cure the red, and another 48hrs for the clear coat.

3. Jun 16, 2010 at 5:40 PM
    mgage10

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100s with Add-A-Leaf 18x9 XD Addicts on 285/65R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers G2 TRD Skid Plate Gray Husky Liners Venture Shield Clear Bra TRD Sport Pedals Seat Belt Alarm Disabled LED Map Lights (Cool White) LED Dome Light (Cool White) LED License Plate Lights (Cool White) White Engine Cover White Toyota FJ Grill Badge Viper 2 Way Alarm System Debadged Tailgate Fog Light Anytime Mod Window Tint Black Mesh Upper Grillcraft Black Mesh Lower Grillcraft Black Mesh Grillcraft Triangles Raven Speed Antenna AFE Stage 2 Pro-Dry S Intake Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers
    Welllllllll done friend, well done!

4. Jun 16, 2010 at 5:59 PM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    I plan on keeping this truck for many years to come. What's another day or two right? :)
    Thanks a lot for your input!

5. Jun 16, 2010 at 6:16 PM
    mgage10

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    I do too for sure. I plan on always having a Tacoma in my garage. Let me know how they turn out!

6. Jun 17, 2010 at 1:10 PM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    I may have to back off the thin red line paint. I can't get the tape on straight enough on both sides so the result is a nice even red line, let alone do it three times in the exact same spot.
    I tried for over 45 minutes to tape it up. :(

7. Jun 18, 2010 at 10:26 AM
    mgage10

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    Leave it alone for a minute then go back and try again. I would measure and mark two spots on the T and two spots on the A. You should be able to get a straight tape line if you do that.

8. Jun 19, 2010 at 6:25 AM
    Sidehack

Sidehack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Simi Valley
    Vehicle:
    07 DC Long Bed Sport
    Black Westin Oval Step Bar, Blacked out tail lights, ScanGuageII
    I removed and painted my badges just like the instructions, it worked great. And looks great. But, if I stand close to the truck and look down, I can see the white double stick tape. Anyone else have this problem? I thought about removing the badges and putting them back on with black silicone instead of double stick tape. Any thoughs?

9. Jun 19, 2010 at 9:32 AM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    I wondered about that too. Mine are still drying, so I'll wait for alternatives too.

10. Jun 19, 2010 at 9:34 AM
    fhlashsf

fhlashsf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Danville, CA
    Vehicle:
    '10 Off Road Double Cab 4x4
    Weathertechs, Avid bolt-on sliders and light bar, 17" ATX Thug wheels, BF Goodrich AT 285/70/17 tires, Icom 2820 Dstar radio, OME 3" lift, color matched rear bumper and Grillecraft grille, Wet Okole seat covers, ARM bed extender, black badges, Sockmonkey decals, HID headlight and foglights, TRD cat back exhaust, TRD CAI, URD MAF calibrator, Kenwood 6960 HU, Image Dynamic front and back speakers, ARC Audio Sub in Mr. Marv custom sub box and amp rack, Tuffy security box for bed.
    I'd try a thin black sharpie to mask the white on the tape...that would probably do it...No one's going to study your badges like you are...(btw, I just noticed the same thing on mine) :)

11. Jun 19, 2010 at 12:01 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    I just debadged mine yesterday and had "ghost writing" (truck is 12 years old) and some left over adhesive even after Goo Gone.

I ended up washing the truck, clay baring it and then polishing it.

No more "ghost writing" or adhesive left over from the badges and decals.

The only issue I had was some of the adhesive used for the vent visors is barely noticeable

12. Jun 19, 2010 at 10:17 PM
    KPAEZ

KPAEZ Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Spokane,Washington
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Double Cab
    none
    Easily done sir haha and yes a nice beer is in order after this diy

13. Jun 20, 2010 at 5:44 AM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    I started by removing only the small "Toyota" emblem from the tailgate. Most of the adhesive was easily removed by peeling and picking at it, but there was still a visible shadow of what I removed. I decided to try some goo gone on a paper towel and ended up scratching the area so now even after waxing, it still is a slightly cloudy spot. I will try using a microfiber towel and goo gone to remove adhesive from the next emblem i do, but I was pretty pissed to see what the paper towel did to my paint.

14. Jun 20, 2010 at 7:43 AM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    Everything is 20/20 in hindsight, so don't beat yourself up.

But from now on, always use a microfiber towel on your exterior, interior and windows.

TacoTuesday!! likes this.
  15. Jun 21, 2010 at 5:43 AM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Warning to others: if you do this mod paint everything at the same time, and with the same drying periods.

I let my Tacoma badges dry for 48hrs because I wanted to embed a thin red line. However, after complications I decided against it, and put the clear coat on it.

The results are DIFFERENT from my other badges which got the clear coat much faster; probably before the black coat was 100% hardened. The Tacoma badges are much less glossy and it's visible from a mile away.

I'm trying to get them in sync by applying another coat of black paint followed by clear coat using the same dry times I used for my other badges.

16. Jun 21, 2010 at 1:35 PM
    mgage10

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    My tape was pretty thin so I'd have to rub my face up against the truck to see behind it.

Good thing it's black anyways :D

Paper towell is a no no unless you are cleaning the kitchen sink. I would head down to your body shop and see if they will help you buff it out. It's not the end of the world but it's frustrating as hell to have silly scratches.

Micro Fiber Towells FTW IMO

17. Jun 22, 2010 at 8:42 AM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    I got this from my local auto store. This molding tape is thin and ends up being similar to what I removed from the badges when I took them off:

[​IMG]

18. Jun 22, 2010 at 10:13 AM
    mgage10

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    Excellent SCFirefighter

19. Jul 8, 2010 at 7:07 AM
    2000yota

2000yota Toyota FTW

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Hernando, MS
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport
    nice write up im doin this soon. but what about the badges on the tailgate for 1st gen they look like theyd be a lot harder

20. Jul 8, 2010 at 9:01 AM
    mgage10

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    Thanks man. They should be the same. Granted they are a thinner badge but there still shouldn't be a problem getting behind them with fishing line.

To Top