Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

DIY: Badge Removal/Painting/Installation

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-16-2010, 05:20 PM   #21
mgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
mgage10's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to mgage10 Send a message via Skype™ to mgage10
You guessed it buddy. I had tape on my truck for 2 or 3 days. It was thin tape so not too noticeable. IMO it's worth it to take your time and do it right the first time so you don't have to go back and do it again. I'd say this follows the "measure twice, cut once" theory to the T.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #22
on idiot patrol ;)
SCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Firefighter
Name: Stephan
SCFirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Jup, driving with thick tape since yesterday afternoon Tomorrow I'll attempt to tape off the black badges and add the red line (it's been 48hrs); then there is another day to cure the red, and another 48hrs for the clear coat.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:10 PM   #26
on idiot patrol ;)
SCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I may have to back off the thin red line paint. I can't get the tape on straight enough on both sides so the result is a nice even red line, let alone do it three times in the exact same spot.
I tried for over 45 minutes to tape it up.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:25 AM   #28
Sidehack is on a distinguished road
Marines:
Name: Chuck
Sidehack's Tacoma Gallery
Question

I removed and painted my badges just like the instructions, it worked great. And looks great. But, if I stand close to the truck and look down, I can see the white double stick tape. Anyone else have this problem? I thought about removing the badges and putting them back on with black silicone instead of double stick tape. Any thoughs?
Old 06-19-2010, 09:32 AM   #29
on idiot patrol ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidehack View Post
I removed and painted my badges just like the instructions, it worked great. And looks great. But, if I stand close to the truck and look down, I can see the white double stick tape. Anyone else have this problem? I thought about removing the badges and putting them back on with black silicone instead of double stick tape. Any thoughs?
I wondered about that too. Mine are still drying, so I'll wait for alternatives too.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #31
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
I just debadged mine yesterday and had "ghost writing" (truck is 12 years old) and some left over adhesive even after Goo Gone.

I ended up washing the truck, clay baring it and then polishing it.

No more "ghost writing" or adhesive left over from the badges and decals.

The only issue I had was some of the adhesive used for the vent visors is barely noticeable
Old 06-19-2010, 10:17 PM   #32
KPAEZ is on a distinguished road
Air Force: RF TRANSMISSIONS
Name: Kyle
KPAEZ's Tacoma Gallery
Hell Yeah

Easily done sir haha and yes a nice beer is in order after this diy
Old 06-20-2010, 05:44 AM   #33
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
I started by removing only the small "Toyota" emblem from the tailgate. Most of the adhesive was easily removed by peeling and picking at it, but there was still a visible shadow of what I removed. I decided to try some goo gone on a paper towel and ended up scratching the area so now even after waxing, it still is a slightly cloudy spot. I will try using a microfiber towel and goo gone to remove adhesive from the next emblem i do, but I was pretty pissed to see what the paper towel did to my paint.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:43 AM   #34
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post
I started by removing only the small "Toyota" emblem from the tailgate. Most of the adhesive was easily removed by peeling and picking at it, but there was still a visible shadow of what I removed. I decided to try some goo gone on a paper towel and ended up scratching the area so now even after waxing, it still is a slightly cloudy spot. I will try using a microfiber towel and goo gone to remove adhesive from the next emblem i do, but I was pretty pissed to see what the paper towel did to my paint.
Everything is 20/20 in hindsight, so don't beat yourself up.

But from now on, always use a microfiber towel on your exterior, interior and windows.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:43 AM   #35
on idiot patrol ;)
Warning to others: if you do this mod paint everything at the same time, and with the same drying periods.

I let my Tacoma badges dry for 48hrs because I wanted to embed a thin red line. However, after complications I decided against it, and put the clear coat on it.

The results are DIFFERENT from my other badges which got the clear coat much faster; probably before the black coat was 100% hardened. The Tacoma badges are much less glossy and it's visible from a mile away.

I'm trying to get them in sync by applying another coat of black paint followed by clear coat using the same dry times I used for my other badges.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:35 PM   #36
mgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mgage10's Tacoma Gallery
My tape was pretty thin so I'd have to rub my face up against the truck to see behind it.

Good thing it's black anyways

Paper towell is a no no unless you are cleaning the kitchen sink. I would head down to your body shop and see if they will help you buff it out. It's not the end of the world but it's frustrating as hell to have silly scratches.

Micro Fiber Towells FTW IMO
Old 07-08-2010, 07:07 AM   #39
Toyota FTW
2000yota has a spectacular aura about2000yota has a spectacular aura about2000yota has a spectacular aura about

Name: Garrett
2000yota's Tacoma Gallery
nice write up im doin this soon. but what about the badges on the tailgate for 1st gen they look like theyd be a lot harder
Old 07-08-2010, 09:01 AM   #40

mgage10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000yota View Post
nice write up im doin this soon. but what about the badges on the tailgate for 1st gen they look like theyd be a lot harder
Thanks man. They should be the same. Granted they are a thinner badge but there still shouldn't be a problem getting behind them with fishing line.

Products Discussed in this Thread