DIY: Badge Removal/Painting/Installation

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-31-2010, 10:33 AM   #61
FFjDs is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Firefighter/Paramedic
Name: Josh
FFjDs's Tacoma Gallery
same thing but for chrome around grille

Whats up guys? Nice write up on badge removal, will definatly be doing this soon. I will be getting a grillecraft mesh grill very soon and wasnt sure of the proper way to remove the chrome area from around the grille. i have a white taco and want everthing to be white except the grille. Any help info the same way you just explained the badge mod would be apreciated.. Painting instructions would help to. Thanks again
Old 08-11-2010, 09:46 AM   #62
FFjDs's Tacoma Gallery
whats up guys? i followed your write up exactly.. everything seemed to be fine, i let the plastic sparay paint dry about a day since its been raining here in FL.. I just went outside and applied the clear coat and within 10 min i went outside and the paint seems to be blotching and cracking.. did this happen to anyone?any ideas why it would happen? ill add pics in a few
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Badge Removal/Painting/Installation-img_1211.jpg   DIY: Badge Removal/Painting/Installation-img_1212.jpg  
Old 08-11-2010, 10:05 AM   #63
Big Country is on a distinguished road
Big Country's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Very cool info. Thank you.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:09 AM   #64
kramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to all

kramer2k's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFjDs View Post
whats up guys? i followed your write up exactly.. everything seemed to be fine, i let the plastic sparay paint dry about a day since its been raining here in FL.. I just went outside and applied the clear coat and within 10 min i went outside and the paint seems to be blotching and cracking.. did this happen to anyone?any ideas why it would happen? ill add pics in a few
That's strange. I did mine a couple of months ago and applied the paint in 4 thin coats in 30 minute intervals. I then waited an hour and went back out and applied 3 coats of clear to finish it off. I waited 4 days before sticking them back on the truck.

I can't think of why yours is cracking like that.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #65
FFjDs's Tacoma Gallery
yea idk either..well i went back out and stripped the paint off and redid it. The black paint looks fine.. I havent applied the clear coat yet.. kinda reluctant to do it bcuz it looks good without it. i guess ill try and go with a thinner coat and see what happens.. Any other info is appreciated.. thanks again
Old 08-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #66
Gitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant future
Name: Justin
Gitmo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yea idk either..well i went back out and stripped the paint off and redid it. The black paint looks fine.. I havent applied the clear coat yet.. kinda reluctant to do it bcuz it looks good without it. i guess ill try and go with a thinner coat and see what happens.. Any other info is appreciated.. thanks again
The same thing happened to me when I was painting my headlights black. I just sanded it down more and made sure it was clean. I repainted it with no problems after that
Old 08-26-2010, 09:01 AM   #67
I'd rather be hunting!
huntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
huntark03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The back of most spray paint cans have a maximum level of humidity that they should be used in. The fact that it was raining and probably very humid might have something to do with it?
Old 08-26-2010, 09:03 AM   #68
I'd rather be hunting!
huntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

perfectionist!

I really like how my new black badges look but now I am wanting to paint everything that is already black on my truck to match my badges. Does anyone know if the krylon fusion sticks well to already painted metal?
Old 08-26-2010, 10:01 AM   #70
Uuuhhh uummmm
cucamongatacoma is a splendid one to beholdcucamongatacoma is a splendid one to beholdcucamongatacoma is a splendid one to beholdcucamongatacoma is a splendid one to beholdcucamongatacoma is a splendid one to beholdcucamongatacoma is a splendid one to beholdcucamongatacoma is a splendid one to beholdcucamongatacoma is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tyler
cucamongatacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I super dried mine with the blow dryer
( u know us youngins don't like to wait) and they are still good
(not in this pic either)
Old 08-31-2010, 09:07 PM   #71
gldnstateballa is on a distinguished road
Name: Alex
gldnstateballa's Tacoma Gallery
hey, i have a white truck also and i just powder coated my rims black so i want to do something about the badges, the chrome looks to stock for me. I like the idea of blacking them out to match the rims but i saw this and i like this badge

http://www.amazon.com/TRD-Black-Chro.../dp/B0039N5C94

so i was thinking about taking all emblems off and putting this on the back. It would be nice to find a black chrome "tacoma" emblem for the sides though"

or should i buy 3 of these black chrome emblems and put one on the back and the other two where the "Tacoma" ones are? Any opinions?
Old 09-01-2010, 06:58 AM   #73
I'd rather be hunting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldnstateballa View Post
hey, i have a white truck also and i just powder coated my rims black so i want to do something about the badges, the chrome looks to stock for me. I like the idea of blacking them out to match the rims but i saw this and i like this badge

http://www.amazon.com/TRD-Black-Chro.../dp/B0039N5C94

so i was thinking about taking all emblems off and putting this on the back. It would be nice to find a black chrome "tacoma" emblem for the sides though"

or should i buy 3 of these black chrome emblems and put one on the back and the other two where the "Tacoma" ones are? Any opinions?

I bought a chrome one off eBay for like 3 bucks. I am cutting the flag part off and painting it black.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:34 PM   #74
mannyc is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
mannyc's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the write up. Working on it now.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:21 AM   #76
moderately modded
drifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant future

Name: Sam
drifter's Tacoma Gallery
How would black badges look on a dark green truck?
Old 10-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #77
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
How would black badges look on a dark green truck?
You could go to the "photography" forum and ask this in the "photoshop" thread.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:10 PM   #79
I <3 the mall
luk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to behold

Name: luke
luk3's Tacoma Gallery
I want do this mod bad, but im afraid of the 3m tape. Is there another way of putting it back on? (like the factory glue?)
Old 11-07-2010, 05:01 PM   #80
mgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
mgage10's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to mgage10 Send a message via Skype™ to mgage10
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk3 View Post
I want do this mod bad, but im afraid of the 3m tape. Is there another way of putting it back on? (like the factory glue?)
Don't be scare of the 3M tape. It is great stuff. I bought mine at an auto body supply store. I'm not familiar with any glues personally. Might be worth looking into.

Products Discussed in this Thread